Collins Woerman Reviews

Mark Woerman

1. Really liked my bosses, too much office politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Collins Woerman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CFO really has a good head on his shoulders and a good heart. There are some amazing people at CollinsWoerman, and I was often touched by unexpected kindness. Many of the higher-level architects seem quite happy there. The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Office politics negatively impacts the work environment. It was a major source of stress for me. I just wanted to do my job and do it well, and it's distracting when you feel like people who aren't your boss are constantly watching you, judging you, and micromanaging you. The politicking tends to pull many of the younger employees this way and that, and it seems like most of the lower-level staff are not happy at CW.

I also wish there were more women and more ethnic diversity at CollinsWoerman. I am a firm believer that diversity brings a lot of value to workplaces, and CW could use more of it.

Advice to Management

Please remember that we are all on the SAME team. Some people act like they believe this just to look like a team player, but then turn around and criticize people behind their backs. I wish everyone really took this to heart, and behaved with warmth and support toward all CW staff. A little more genuine caring could go a long way.

2. A company with a revolving door, and with no true leader.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Collins Woerman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice staff. Good location.

Cons

No mission. Just work. Middle management runs the company...and not well. Poor leadership. Non existent human resources.

Advice to Management

Set a course. Provide Leadership.

3. I was dissatisfied with the progress of job task in accordance with the described responsibilities

Former Employee - Job Captain in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Job Captain in Seattle, WA

I worked at Collins Woerman

Pros

CW is an office of teams. It was a pleasure to meet and work with the amazing people at CollinsWoerman.
    Additionally, office management is non-hierarchical, supporting the interests of the employees.

Cons

There is a true lack of interest in future building technologies.

Advice to Management

Please consider the movement of the rest of the AEC industry and progress towards a smarter and more productive future utilising BIM, IPD and VDC.

5. Started out great, feeling empowered but once the economy turned, management's true colors came out and morale plummeted

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Collins Woerman

Pros

Your schedule can be somewhat flexible if you can manage to find a way to make it happen. The pay was also above average for the industry-until the economy tanked.

Cons

VERY poor communication from leadership to the rest of the company which led to morale issues that became insurmountable. It's also an environment that plays favorites, which is good if you fall into that category.

Advice to Management

Set a clear vision (don't sell the fact that you are flying by the seat of your pants) and be upfront and fairl with employees.

6. Great Location, Great People, Great Work

Former Employee - Architect III in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Architect III in Seattle, WA

I worked at Collins Woerman

Pros

The people and the benefits. The people there are like family. Even now that I have left the company, I still remain in contact with many of them. Great Mentors and Friends. The number of holidays and our health package is great compared to others in our industry.

Cons

There was a moment of uncertainty when upper management tried to restructure the organization of the firm because of its rapid expansion. This caused some confusion and apprehension within the firm which resulted in many senior designers leaving, which hurt the morality of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep all the facts on the table. This was a small firm to begin with that had a close culture... please keep it that way even though the number of employees have increased.

7. great potential

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Collins Woerman

Pros

cw is very supportive of employees' interests on the job and outside of it. Great co-workers - also very supportive.

Cons

The project types area not as varied as I'd like and I feel under utilized at times.

Advice to Management

Your hearts are in the right place - follow through needs work

8. A sinking ship

I worked at Collins Woerman

Pros

Really nice people work here
    Flexible hours
    Great healthcare team led by a strong principal
    Creative people with good ideas, but the company doesn't value them

Cons

Owners are just not interested in the company or the people who work for them
    All the focus and money goes to a foolish side project that is sinking the company
    Principals are condescending and rude to employees. Only ideas that matter are the ideas of the owners or the "favorites"