Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

www.coloniallife.com

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. President and CEO Randy Horn

Randy Horn

Pros
  • Home office seems good to deal with but they have no authority over anyone(in 7 reviews)

• the company has a great home office support system and online training products(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It is really hard to get started as a new agent because it's 100% commission(in 9 reviews)

• No benefits, must be willing to possibly not get a paycheck for a few months(in 6 reviews)

Excellent Opportunity

1099 (Current Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsThe Training is Amazing, the income that is represented during the interview process is achievable.

ConsIt's Sales. Door to door. Or phone calls all day.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone is 1099, treat them with respect and Dignity. It's hard enough to make sales numbers, but stop leaning on them for more.

Excellent Company

District General Agent (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat people, plenty of opportunities for advancement if you're willing to put in the work.

ConsLong hours. A lot of politics and red tape to get through in order to advance to a higher level.

Used to be a great place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCommunity service; on-site wellness center;

ConsUsed to be more of a family feel around the campus, but then it became all about the bottom line. Employees were stressed and overworked, while fearing for their job's security.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chargebacks made me broke

Benefits and Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsYou can set your own schedule and hone your skills at sales. Meeting a diverse group of sales people and local business owners.

ConsFull commission. Entire accounts changing their mind after enrollment and then you lose all of your commissions. Cold calling.

No idea what they're doing.

Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) Lombard, IL

ProsYou get out what you put in. Free to work as much or as little as possible (commission only).

ConsManagement is using this opportunity as a chop shop. Training is non-existent or woefully inadequate.

Good Company

District Sales Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat products, services and support staff

Cons1099 position, not enough training on products too much emphasis on setting appointments.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment

Good Ole Boys Network

Disability Specialist (Former Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsPay is the only good thing

ConsNo advancement unless you are friends with VP's in the Home Office

Advice to Senior ManagementStop allowing management to fast track their friends to high level positions which they are otherwise unqualified for.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A nice place to work

Agent (Former Employee) Renton, WA

ProsFlexible schedule, self employed, and a cooperate culture that is geared towards success.

ConsEverything else. Cold calling sucks, prospecting is really what this job is all about. So you have a bunch of good people inside a business that works on a model that is fundamentally broken. It makes money, but at the price of everything they are freeing you from.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wouldn't scrap the whole thing. Change starts at the top, and with more support and training we could turn it around.

75 year old company with outstanding Voluntary Benefit Products

ProsMy District General Agent in Los Angeles is a great teacher and always willing to help team members close cases. She is extremely ethical and fair with the people on her team.

ConsThe pay is based on commission only. Unless you have another source of income, it can be a nail biting experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementLos Angeles is a quirky town, I think they should consider hiring Territory Managers that are local as opposed to importing them from the Mid West.

Scam, Avoid. Do not be fooled.

(Current Employee)

ProsNone. If there was a pro, I never saw it. You don't even want to put this job on your resume for fear of someone recognizing this as the company that ripped them or a loved one off.

ConsLet me count the ways: 100% commission.
    You're an independent contractor so no benefits.
    They want you to drop flyers off at business complexes, then make calls. You have you lie to companies that you're a 'local employer' when they tell you 'no soliciting.' They ask you for the names of friends and family, because, who doesn't want to spam their loved ones?
    They want you to supply your own office supplies, including envelopes for their flyers. All these little things add up, like having an issue with parking so they want you to park at another establishment nearby.
    They were genuinely upset that someone studied 'too hard' to get a perfect score on the licensing test, as opposed to just studying enough to pass (70%).
    They promise training, but what kind of trainer schedules a separate meeting during time he should be training? Training is more like brow beating people who don't make enough calls or appointments.
    They say they're not like another company, but really, pot calling the kettle black.
    Do your due diligence and Google them. How many negative complaints are there? Do you want to be one of the agents who tricks people into a plan that will ultimately fail them when they need it most? Do you want to be around people who do not have the conscience to tell the truth about their business practices?
    Any positive review is written by those trying to recruit.
    No job should ever cost you money to get started.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to management. I'm amazed the company hasn't fallen in on itself, but they're preying on the desperate at career fairs and the unwitting.

Worked for Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.? Contribute to the Community!