Colonial Penn Life Insurance

Updated August 2, 2014
Updated August 2, 2014
2.2

Gerardo Monroy

Good experience as a transitional position

Former Employee - Insurance  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Insurance in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the training is great, great work life balance, new tasks to learn if asked for, new quality technology to work with

Cons

the compensation could be better, there are not opportunities to advance in every department, the office culture varies by the day

Upper management really wants to see people advance, continue to do this

what was once a good company has gone downhill fast.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

CP is good for training. If you want to learn the insurance business this company can train you well.

Cons

management doesn't care about its employees. They care more about how much money you bring into the company than you.

go back to what were yours a go. Start caring about your employees. They are just like you, they are people not machines.

Great company no micromanaging great CEO

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time

Pros

Great company...family atmosphere..no micro managing....you can work from home after 1 year...great bonus structure...friendly environment....let me repeat no micro managing!!! If you have telephone skills I recommend this place to anyone

Cons

They dont hire to often...if you can get in you stay in

Hire more debt collectors

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Outstanding training program, no cold calling, excellent merit increases and incentive programs

Cons

I am 100% satisfied, I have no cons.

Be more available to the reps with constructive criticism

Avoid this place if you can

Current Employee - TELESALES Representative  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - TELESALES Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

They help you get your life insurance license.

Cons

They micromanage your time using some dubious productivity software system that they never share with you during training about how it works or doesnt work.

Stop selling GBL products, the social security recipients are going to go for it less and less as this economy becomes more difficult.

Good for interim employment while looking for something better.

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easily accessible by public transit, small business atmosphere, free coffee. New CEO is great and is cleaning up Management so things may be getting better in the near future. Co-workers are very kind and helpful. Company pays for and gives support for employee licensing which is rare in insurance business.

Cons

Pay not great, health insurance benefit plan is awful and the employee contribution is extremely high , mandatory Saturdays, sales bonuses are quarterly and very small. Facilities and technology need updating. Not much diversity in sales force.

Take your skills someplace else!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

convenient downtown location. some management are actually concerned about the employees. incentive packages are pretty ok. Salary pretty good.

Cons

Alot of the employees are simply there because of the salary. There are not many people that enjoy the job or the environment. Most supervisors lack intelligence, professionalism and management skills. I was an employee of colonial penn dating back to the 90's, at that time Colonial Penn was an awesome company to work for. Through the years with changes in HR and the company as a whole it has steadily gone down hill. The caliber and professionalism of employees have declined along with choices made for supervisory positions have been a disgrace. The call center portion of the company is very high schoolish and is full of gossip, relationships and buffoonery . This behavior is not only within the representatives but also management. Goals that are required are outlandish! I personally know people that lost there job simply because they have stated their opinions or their supervisor has a personal vendetta with them. HR rep has close personal relationships with supervisors and allow them to make these decisions. They constantly fire employees because of their lack of achieving goals but the real problem is the management staff. If they had supervisors that actually had management skills they would definitely have a better group of employees! Do not apply for customer service position. It is really a sales position. Customer service is not as important as the sale that they want you to make at the end of the call. customer service representatives are the heart of that company and they do not get the recognition they deserve and are extremely overworked. CSR are always given more descriptions to their job but still want them to achieve sales goals RIDICULOUS!

Get rid of supervisors that units are not pulling their weight instead of constantly firing the workers. Hire more professional employees. HR department needs to an overhaul. Stop overworking the customer service dept employees and show your appreciation of them just as you do the sales dept.

this is one of the worst jobs ive ever had

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance

Pros

you can get your insurance license,
     its in center city,
    you can work from home if your lucky,
    the pay isn;t bad- especially if you qualify for the quarterly bonuses

Cons

I have literally sat at my desk some days, and forced back tears!
    the sales quotas are out of reach because soo many sales reps cheat the system
    old computer system that didnt work well, and a new one that has proved to be worse
    my supervisor gives me absolutly no suppourt whatsoever, but expects me to perform increasingly unreachable sales goals
    managment is a joke, i really ont think anyone there has a clue whats going on
    no REAL QA department. You Qa scores will be based on who is grading your calls, they are more concerned with "how they would have said it" as opposed to verifing that all compliance requirments have been covered
    Constant pressure from every level of managment to increase sales on a product that competitors offer at a lower price

resighn

Good job bad management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful co workers some supervisors treat you like family and actually about you. When they give bonus they are pretty good

Cons

If management has something personal against you no matter how good you are it means nothing

Think more about the workers without them your doors will close. The whole idea that you can bring somebody in to replace a quality worker is terribly wrong. Also some of the floor managers shouldn't have their jobs. They cheated to get there and show favoritism which is obvious

My last review was flagged by CNO...I told too much. I'll be politically correct..but still honest.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay, bonus (but see below), location to public transportation. Excellent if you' re walking in from nothing as they will help you obtain your insurance license. I've watched some people lucky enough to be able to work from home.

Cons

Pay close attention to office environment if you walk around BEFORE accepting, multiple grading standards, new stringent bonus requirements. There has been gossip (fully disclosing as gossip) that any issues you share with operations level (which may include but not be limited to H.R., I.T., etc.) may not be completely confidential.

1. Across the board Q.A. standards
    2. MANDATORY refresher courses/live phone work for Supervisors
    3. Consider occasional drug testing or implementing it
    4. Hire additional H.R. Staff on site to manage issues and for the purpose of checks and balances.
    5. If it's not in the handbook, insert clear language on relations between people on different hierarchy levels. Most companies are EXPLICIT and FIRM on this.
    6. Please refrain from changing the requirements for incentive/bonus based on small focus group as they do NOT represent the entire floor.

Colonial Penn Life Insurance Photos

Colonial Penn Life

+ Add Photo

Worked for Colonial Penn Life Insurance? Contribute to the Community!