Colonial Pipeline Reviews

Tim Felt

1. Small company feel, large company impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Colonial Pipeline full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-You can make a difference.
    -You will quickly be granted more responsibility and autonomy than you are comfortable accepting.
    -There is a lot of experience on the ground and everyone is willing to share.
    -Project scopes and budgets are those of a much larger company

Cons

-Small employee base means few opportunities for advancement within a career track.
    -Staffing tends to be too thin. We need more numbers if management wants to shield the company from chaos when a team member leaves.
    -The job can become all consuming if you let it, and most managers will not help you throttle back.

-Keep working on staffing. We can't get where you want to go without more people.
    -Work on retention. Too much knowledge and experience is leaving for greener pastures.

2. It Could've Been Better...Only If

I worked at Colonial Pipeline full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits (401K, paid holidays, decent compensation, bonuses, vacation, sick pay, floating holidays, depending on position - flexible work schedule)

Cons

They have this program called "Emerging Leaders" and some participants of the program are pretty good; however, they also have the good ole boys good ole girls network who should be called "Emerging Leeches".

These are the people who continuously get promoted until they eventually hit a level of incompetence. These are the energy vampires.

If you ever have to work for or with one of these insecure Emerging Leeches, they will basically try to force you to go through a hazing initiation and get branded with a CP logo and conform you to join their "network" of opportunity. Dare not resist or question their way of doing things, and you better not bring up the fact that their direction is not aligned with Leadership's goals and strategies. Nope, if you show any sign of not conforming to the "let's look busy" mentality, then you will be targeted and they will make your life a living hell until you leave the company.

There are too many people trying to keep their and not enough people who just want to do their job!

Keep your core values in the foreground!

Follow Jack Welch's Four Level

Employee who have
    High Values and High Performance, move them up (promote them)
    High Values and Low Performance, work with them, they could be going through something at home
    Low Values and Low Performance, get them out of the organization
    High Performance and Low Values, these people are toxic, they will DESTROY the culture and morale of the organization, get rid of them as well

3. Great Environment

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Colonial Pipeline

Pros

Colonial Pipeline is a stable company with great people. Work / Life balance is encouraged. Benefits are good as well.

Cons

While the main office building and decor are nice, some of the office space could use a refresh.

5. Great place to work.

I have been working at Colonial Pipeline

Pros

Family oriented. Better than average pay. Plenty to do.

Cons

Too many things to do and not enough people to be responsible.

Hire more folks.

6. Associate Pipeline Controller

Current Employee - Associate Controller in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Controller in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Colonial Pipeline full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great 401k, paid holidays, great training program, great people, rewarding work, inward mobility, education assistance, family atmosphere, interesting work, dynamic work environment.

Cons

Too much overtime, company seems to be behind the power curve and losing it's position in the industry as a leader. Small raises and disgruntled staff. Layers of management that are out of touch with the true heartbeat of the workforce. Antiquated systems and unclear direction. Emphasis is on profits and not safety. "Pumping for profits". Pay is not commensurate with the industry standard. Family atmosphere that brought myself and others to join the company is being eroded away by people meant to maximize your bank accounts. Cold way of dealing with employees.

Pay your controllers more. Make them feel appreciated. Update your technologies and bring the company and the control center into the 21st century. Spend some time with the staff in their element, on a weekend or holiday or overnight and listen to their concerns. Stop treating the Controller position as a menial, un-skilled task and take action to foster a career.

Great Industry leading company with a dark cloud everyone is whispering about.

Current Employee - Pipeline Controller in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Pipeline Controller in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Colonial Pipeline full-time

Pros

Recognized as an industry leading company with great job security, fast pace, ever expanding and solidifying its roots for the South and Eastern seaboard as a great company.

Cons

In the Control Center their has been too many changes to keep up with. A reorganization of job titles/ pay /career progression matrix, CCOMs forced to rotate between all shifts, hundreds of operations added to the plate of an over piled workload, work arounds that are too many to count due to out dated proceedures and maintenance crews inability to maintain equipment, management imposed policies that hold Controllers to an unfair standard compaired to other sections of the Transportation Services and Operations departments, AND an over whelming Corporate and Management disconnect has created one of the worst atmospheres to work in that I have ever been associated with. With the work schedule next on the chopping blocks and the loss of 10 plus Controllers to frustrated retirments, lateral/promotional moves or to other better paying companies, the ever growing theme in the Control Center is to get out as soon as possible. Many controllers are applying for any and every job posted within the company only to be road blocked due to man power issues. A new Engagement survey was sucessfully completed in 2014 and the only results/findings that Corporate has released has been the over whelming percentage of emplyees that know the importance of their job in the the future growth and profitability for colonial. Any improvements are not to burden the companies wallet while squeezing every last drop of Loyalty out of the ones that are weathering the storm of evolution. I truly hope the Controllers finally get the recognition that is long over due, because an Industry leading company that pays the most stressful and highest deamanding job that carries this company on its shoulders and yet we are still being unappreciated with below national mid point pay. Sooner or later something is going to give and I hope Colonial does the right thing or this Company will continue being labeled as the "BLANK PPL TRAINING FACILTY".

Post the results of the survey...The past surveys can be viewed but not this one. Swallow some pride and give credit where credit is due. Find the root of the problems instead of treating the symptoms. Allow your actions to show what you really care about...All actions thus far are said to be with a safe and conservative mind set when your actions have shown nothing but profitabily driven demands.

8. Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Colonial Pipeline full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back environment, safety conscious, good people to work with (including management), decent benefits and pay.

Cons

under-staffed, poor performance management system and raise structure for professionals.

consider merit based raise structure not a percentage across the board.

9. Great place to work.

I worked at Colonial Pipeline full-time

Pros

Freedom to develop yourself. Freedom to make the job your own and succeed on your own. Great benefits package.

Cons

Very political. Too many "older employees" that have "always done it this way" Unwilling to change. Few opportunities to move around within your own career field. Lots of opportunities if you want to change your career, but then you're stuck there.

Allow change, and don't be afraid of it.

Very Poorly Managed

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Colonial Pipeline full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at Colonial Pipeline for over 15 years. It is a very stable company and once you become an employee, it's very difficult to lose your job. That is pretty much the only positive feedback I can share.

Cons

Over the years, I watch Colonial establish the worst team of managers and leaders I've ever been associated with in my life. As I said, it's very difficult to lose a job at Colonial. This can be good, but it can also be very bad. Colonial tends to recycle losers and duds. Especially in terms of managers. If an employee is a poor performer, the company tends to find something else for them to do rather than fire them. Then they just perform poorly in some other role. I've never agreed with this policy and feel a company should get rid of dead weight. Colonial employs a lot of people who are just lazy. The field technicians are the absolute worst! When equipment fails, the Technicians always do everything possible to avoid repairs on nights and weekends leaving a never ending trail of workarounds. When I first started with the company, equipment was repaired when it failed. Now, if equipment fails at night or on a weekend, the first thing a Technician will ask is how long can they wait to make repairs. This problem has just gotten worse over the years as all of the really good Technicians have retired or moved on. This evolution has taken place because management has allowed it. One thing you hear a lot at Colonial is reference to the fact that the company is best in class. You would expect them to therefore pay best close. This is not the case. You can EASILY find a better paying job in this field if you are willing to try. The only thing that has kept me with the company is family. The company also likes to think safety is the number one goal. It sounds good to the board and government regulators. However, Colonial is very, very, very profit driven. I've felt for some time that profit is much more important to the company than safety. I'm a very hard working person with great integrity and meticulous work habits. I could not put into words how very underappreciated I have felt for many years now.

I think it's hopeless. The face of the company has changed too much. Colonial lost too many good, hard working employees over the years and replaced with lazy people with poor work habits. A good start would be to hold employees, at ALL levels (not just operations), accountable.

11. Very Poor Experience

I worked at Colonial Pipeline full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None, really, none. It has a difficult to enjoy culture. It's really too bad. The work itself has the potential to be satisfying and many employees are fine people. They need an infusion in the upper ranks from well run companies.

Cons

Over worked, unappreciated, and poorly paid. The result is an unusual number of angry or sad workers. Upper management doesn't appear care about people. It seems that they are focused on making as much money as possible for themselves, with no desire to do the right thing or leave a legacy that they can be proud of.

Hire upper management personnel from outside the company. Get people who have the proven ability to build teams that they and that everyone supporting those teams is proud of.

Colonial Pipeline Photos