Colonial Properties Trust

Thomas H. Lowder

Unstable

Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWas able to remain employed for 7 years

ConsVery unstable company in a very unstable economy

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Lots of room for upward movement

Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsThe People. Working on-site, you will be set up with a small team of coworkers which allows you to get to know each other well. If you are in a larger city, you will get to know your team members at other properties well, and have the potential to make a lot of good connections for the future.
    Policies & Procedures: Very straightforward and well planned. Allows you to know how to handle most every situation.
    Upward Movement: You can grow in your position rapidly and if you are good at what you do, it will be noticed.
    Pay: Pay is excellent by Property Management standards

ConsTime Management: Very frequently you can find yourself being asked to do several time consuming tasks with the deadline mindset of "it needed to be done yesterday."
    Workload: Properties are frequently understaffed and the remaining employees have to bear that burden. Not having enough employees is not an excuse for mediocre performance.
    Benefits: Healthcare is not great and very expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees really get along well together and you have hired some of the best in the business, but you don't treat them like it. Provide them with more tools to succeed and you will definitely see a return on investment.

Loved My CoWorkers

Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat Pay
    Beautiful Properties
    Fun co-workers

ConsDon't put much money back into the inside of apartments. Fair quality inside.
    Upper management doesn't seem people friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to remember a name or shake a hand.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company but little to no consideration to work life balance. Good benefits and compensation, heavy work load

Leasing Support Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsLots of properties so opportunity to move up quickly is present and a focus is put on hiring from within
    Great pay
    They hire great employees so you'll be in mostly good company
    Very good health insurance and other benefits
    Ability to learn a lot from the 'corporate' side of management
    Lots of differences in this position from place to place and some job duties are negotiable. Some allow a Mon-Fri schedule while others require almost all weekends. It pays to get it in writing.
    Opportunity for travel in a training capacity from time to time
    Being 'in the know' about things that were happening in the region
    Challenging role that allows for quick personal and professional growth

ConsVery heavy workload
    Often working between several properties so the need to be able to work with all different types of people is a necessity
    In my case, very unrealistic expectations for my schedule that were not conducive to work life balance at all
    Basically always on call, filling in for those who were sick or newly opened positions, and almost always working alone which gets old quickly
    not very much power to correct issues or implement standardization. Basically required to 'learn' 6-8 different properties with different processes while receiving very limited training
    often ran into the mentality that I was there to 'spy' instead of assist to the point where one manager would not let me visit her property and the RVP allowed it making a very awkward situation
    Each RVP has quite a lot of flexibility over their region so a lot of the work experience with Colonial will vary and will greatly depend on the RVPs skill level at managing and encouraging people. RVPs are promoted and moved with a consistent basis so who you start off with will most certainly change within a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost properties need to be staffed more to achieve the demands and standards that Colonial requires but they cling to that outdated 1 person per 100 units mentality no matter the age of the property or how busy the office. Management should recognize that this is a very difficult position that requires a very flexible person with a knack for communicating effectively. This position also requires someone with the knowledge to not get involved in possible office drama or gossip as it does travel to other properties frequently. Many employees feel the stress of always coming home late or never making family events or having time off with their loved ones to meet the high demands of the company which is great in the short term but burns out the employee very quickly or leaves them disgruntled.

Great Place to work and live !

Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsProfessional compnay to work for. No gray areas where you will feel confused, I love being a prt of it.

ConsI have not seen any yet...:)

Stay away

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsNone at all. It's all about the shareholders. They should only know how bad this company is.

Conscould care less about employees or residents.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was one of the top leasing agents in the region. New PM started hiring friends and family and found every excuse to write me up and take away my commissions. Let me go right before the holidays and then denied me unemployment. This company has to be the worst OK have ever worked for. Completely ruined my life.

Company who thinks good people are "Easily Replaceable"

Property Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCommission compensation. Residents are great. Not too many Pros.

ConsLets see, Colonial raves on their "customer service" yet they treat their employees like dirt. Any Regional I ever worked for was awful. This company does not care if you work a 12 hour day, 7 days a week. They expect you to spend no money, yet replace everything your self, and god forbid you get over 2 hours overtime. They keep horrible people, and lose great employees. They think that anyone can do this job. Loyalty means nothing to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop asking PM's for approval on EVERYTHING! They run the property, they know their residents, you hired them to run the property, yet they have to send a stupid email for approval to order pens? Really? Maybe if you tried to keep your good and loyal employees and not hire crooks or morons who only last 3 months, you would trust your people more. Know wonder why your turn over is horrible.

holy poop these guys in senior management could care less

Service Manager (Former Employee) Hampton, VA

Prosif your a shareholder you might get a little gain in your portfolio not much tho

Conseverybody in senior management absolutely does nothing to improve properties only squeezes what little profit they can from the absolute least they can put in it
    There motto is do less get more if we are a big enough company we cant fail!

Advice to Senior Managementyou all suck

Micromanaged and Understaffed

Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsSolid company, little or no layoffs.

ConsSenior Management - Too busy crunching numbers than to pay attention to what is really going on with properties and staff. When Area VP comes once a month, it is never with the attitude of wanting to help or know what the real onsite challenges are. This company fosters the mindset of management by intimidation, forcing everyone onsite to watch their p's and q's when upper management is around.

When Senior VP and above come for onsite tours, staff members are expected to stand in a "V Formation" and greet them at the door as if they are dignitaries and the staff are their servants. If it wasn't so absurd and demeaning, it would almost be funny. Senior Management expects onsite staff to "clean up" the properties for these visits. They don't roll up their sleeves and visit with the mindset of wanting to know what is really going on or where their expertise could come into play. They expect a dog and pony show and want to be told how great things are. They prepare a script ahead of time that they expect the PM to have memorized and said back to them. It is truly ridiculous, outdated and insulting.

This company is not willing to spend money in order to make money. Leasing Specialists are expected to do marketing with little or no marketing budget. Most properties are unstaffed because upper managment will not spend the money on much needed and vital staff.

Colonial also sees the customer as disposable. Hook them, get them to lease, and then stick it to them a year later with a dramatic rent increase on their renewal. Of course it is reasonable to have an increase, but $50 - $70 increase on a one bedroom is not realistic. As leasing specialists, we can email our VP and ask for a concession but that usually takes several days at which point the resident is already disenchanted and out looking for another place to live. More focus should be put on taking care of the residents we already have. We hear it every single day, but Colonial's focus is not on the customer at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you figure out that your personnel is your largest asset, you will help the company grow by leaps and bounds. Your staff turnover is unreal and morale is at an all time low. It is time that you take a hard look at who you have in upper management and see that your employees do not feel appreciated or valued. We sit through Bell Ringing Calls that go on and on about how great the company is doing, yet you will not have a holiday party or family event even once a year. You will not even allow your staff to close up the office for an hour to have lunch together a couple of times a year. You raise rent amounts to absurd levels without making any onsite improvements and upgrades, yet you come down on the onsite staff asking why the numbers are not what they should be. It is basic, common sense and all of you are missing the boat. Frankly, it starts at the top. When each level of management bullies those working one level below, it makes for an environment where employees are unable, and fearful, to share with their supervisors where improvements are truly needed. In most cases, the messenger of the truth is often thought of as having a bad attitude, even when they truly have the company's best interests at heart. Want to raise employee morale? Close leasing offices on snow days instead of expecting your employees to risk their safety or the safety of others when everyone else in Atlanta has the sense to stay home. Look your leasing agents in the eye and say "thank you" for doing a good job. Take a day and fill in at a property that is understaffed....not during a monthly evaluation. Create an environment where all employees can be honest about their ideas or suggestions for company improvement. None of us are in this business to become wealthy. All anyone wants in life is to feel appreciated and respected. Lastly, treat your onsite PM's with more respect. They are the ones living and breathing Colonial day in and day out and you should enable them to order needed supplies, waive a fee here and there, or grant a concession without asking the approval of several members of managment above. Most of these PM's are highly capable and talented. Take advantage of that.

Extremely Overworked

Property Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI pretty much agree with most of the other reviews. Pay is good but it is the tradeoff of time expected in return for that pay that is unrealistic.

ConsMany associates end up working 6-10 days in a row and most salaried team members work what feels like 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Supervisors schedule meetings early in the morning before standard office hours then you have to keep working until the property closes that evening. There is a culture of micromanagement and a lack of recognition for team members efforts across the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure if it is just in the Atlanta region but the culture needs a severe turnaround. I really think the residents end up feeling the effects of the dissatisfied labor force.

Worked for Colonial Properties Trust? Contribute to the Community!