Colonial Properties Trust

1. Commercial Property Division

Former Employee - LeasingCoordinator in Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - LeasingCoordinator in Roswell, GA

I worked at Colonial Properties Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job. No Frills

Cons

Micro managed by a very mental supervisor. Executives did nothing about it even though the entire office knew and spoke about it.

2. Great pay, but no quality of life with family. Always heard of how awesome company was near the Corporate office.

I worked at Colonial Properties Trust (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are awesome. The benefits may be expensive, but they are well worth it. In each position you are preparing for the next step and as long as you can show them an "A" attitude and that you can handle the pressure you will advance.

Cons

When you are in management at a smaller community it is hard to take your time off or others will make you feel guilty to take the time off.

3. Very poor leadership

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Colonial Properties Trust as a contractor

Pros

Good industry experience and co-workers.

Cons

Executive leadership is very dismissive of needed initiatives. This led to lack of drive and innovation among employees.

5. Miserable place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I worked at Colonial Properties Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place was a good introduction into the industry if you were looking to get into property management. Not really, I can't think anything good about this company.

Cons

The company really doesn't care about you. They expect you to leave the low-paying job soon and treat you accordingly. The company was very cheap and didn't even want to buy basic office supplies.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to this now defunct company.

6. Great place to work - too bad they sold the company. I really liked working there.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Colonial Properties Trust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The job had good benefits and great co-workers. It was a nice and clean office. There was a parking deck so it felt very safe.

Cons

I did not particularly like the annual review set up. I didn't feel I got any working feedback. The review process was anonymous so there was no way to discuss improvements etc. in person except for with the immediate supervisor.

7. Unstable

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Colonial Properties Trust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was able to remain employed for 7 years

Cons

Very unstable company in a very unstable economy

Advice to Management

None

Lots of room for upward movement

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Colonial Properties Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The People. Working on-site, you will be set up with a small team of coworkers which allows you to get to know each other well. If you are in a larger city, you will get to know your team members at other properties well, and have the potential to make a lot of good connections for the future.
    Policies & Procedures: Very straightforward and well planned. Allows you to know how to handle most every situation.
    Upward Movement: You can grow in your position rapidly and if you are good at what you do, it will be noticed.
    Pay: Pay is excellent by Property Management standards

Cons

Time Management: Very frequently you can find yourself being asked to do several time consuming tasks with the deadline mindset of "it needed to be done yesterday."
    Workload: Properties are frequently understaffed and the remaining employees have to bear that burden. Not having enough employees is not an excuse for mediocre performance.
    Benefits: Healthcare is not great and very expensive.

Advice to Management

Your employees really get along well together and you have hired some of the best in the business, but you don't treat them like it. Provide them with more tools to succeed and you will definitely see a return on investment.

9. Loved My CoWorkers

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Colonial Properties Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay
    Beautiful Properties
    Fun co-workers

Cons

Don't put much money back into the inside of apartments. Fair quality inside.
    Upper management doesn't seem people friendly.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to remember a name or shake a hand.

Good company but little to no consideration to work life balance. Good benefits and compensation, heavy work load

Former Employee - Leasing Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Leasing Support Specialist

I worked at Colonial Properties Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of properties so opportunity to move up quickly is present and a focus is put on hiring from within
    Great pay
    They hire great employees so you'll be in mostly good company
    Very good health insurance and other benefits
    Ability to learn a lot from the 'corporate' side of management
    Lots of differences in this position from place to place and some job duties are negotiable. Some allow a Mon-Fri schedule while others require almost all weekends. It pays to get it in writing.
    Opportunity for travel in a training capacity from time to time
    Being 'in the know' about things that were happening in the region
    Challenging role that allows for quick personal and professional growth

Cons

Very heavy workload
    Often working between several properties so the need to be able to work with all different types of people is a necessity
    In my case, very unrealistic expectations for my schedule that were not conducive to work life balance at all
    Basically always on call, filling in for those who were sick or newly opened positions, and almost always working alone which gets old quickly
    not very much power to correct issues or implement standardization. Basically required to 'learn' 6-8 different properties with different processes while receiving very limited training
    often ran into the mentality that I was there to 'spy' instead of assist to the point where one manager would not let me visit her property and the RVP allowed it making a very awkward situation
    Each RVP has quite a lot of flexibility over their region so a lot of the work experience with Colonial will vary and will greatly depend on the RVPs skill level at managing and encouraging people. RVPs are promoted and moved with a consistent basis so who you start off with will most certainly change within a few years.

Advice to Management

Most properties need to be staffed more to achieve the demands and standards that Colonial requires but they cling to that outdated 1 person per 100 units mentality no matter the age of the property or how busy the office. Management should recognize that this is a very difficult position that requires a very flexible person with a knack for communicating effectively. This position also requires someone with the knowledge to not get involved in possible office drama or gossip as it does travel to other properties frequently. Many employees feel the stress of always coming home late or never making family events or having time off with their loved ones to meet the high demands of the company which is great in the short term but burns out the employee very quickly or leaves them disgruntled.

11. Great Place to work and live !

Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Colonial Properties Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional compnay to work for. No gray areas where you will feel confused, I love being a prt of it.

Cons

I have not seen any yet...:)