Colorado Access

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.7

Marshall Thomas

Company has lost it's feeling of family

I worked at Colorado Access full-time

Pros

Hard working, dedicated people who care about the members they serve.

Cons

Outsourcing of the IT department and many of the work previously handled in-house has made the company vulnerable. The business used to be able to move very nimbly. It could resolve issues, launch new lines of business, and turn around new processes very quickly. The reason for this was often due to the subject matter experts they had on-hand. Now that they have lost much of this knowledge base, everything will take exponentially longer. This will result in increased risk, failure to meet go-live dates, frequent misses of due dates and poorer data quality.

Do not try to move so fast now - you won't be able to expand as quickly or take on as many large projects as you used to be able to in the past. Change your expectations to match your current resources.

I loved the mission and the people.

Former Employee - Tech Support in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Access full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits were good, the pay was competitive and most departments had a good work life balance. The mission to server the underserved showed in most employees. They are trying to change the culture.

Cons

It was as if the company was stuck in the 1980s with the "this is the way we have always done it" mentality. Many of the tools and processes given the employees were outdated, not properly implemented or maintained. Colorado Access seemed to have a high turnover. New employees would come onboard be excited for about 10 months or so and start looking for work elsewhere. There was an effort to stay compliant with HIPAA for the entry level employees but it was not consistent and ignored by some upper management. It seemed one proper audit from a large fine.

Learn about best practices, implement them or just close up shop, a behavioral health company that won't change it's own behavior isn't healthy

Company that really cares about the underservered population

Former Employee - Provider Relations Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Provider Relations Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Access full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Leadership and Management staff , company really encourages a life outside of work.

Cons

Can be very demanding at times, because of the work load

Loved my job, hated being outsourced

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Access full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom to administer the database as I saw fit. No micromanagement. I really loved my teammates.

Cons

All of our team was outsourced except for two people to an Indian based consulting firm. We were allowed to interview for our jobs but none of us were considered qualified for the jobs we had worked for years. This is either a move of desperation or a way to lower wages and send good paying, American jobs to India. I am deeply saddened by this move.

HIPPA compliance is going to be an issue. My advice to management is to find another job before you too are replaced. The director was fired and the CIO went back to his previous job.

Small Company, good mission

Former Employee - Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Access full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A relaxed environment, but professional. good mission.

Cons

Poor Salary, not much room for advancement.

Maybe get a 2nd opinion on your "Market Salary Survey", you're not really in the market to keep any talent.

Good place to work and grow my skillset

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Access

Pros

IT management lets you do your job without micro-managing your time. They provide good benefits and are flexible with schedules and work from home options.

Cons

The nature of the business (non-profit) lends itself to a roller coaster ride on the balance sheets. This seems to equate to a reluctance to give decent raises and promotions.

Put a bit more focus on employee careers. There was little if any discussion of career advancement, mentoring, or training opportunities.