Colorado Coalition for the Homeless

John Parvensky

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a feeling of belonging on my team. People care about their colleagues and there's generally a sense that people have your back. The work of serving the homeless is difficult and brings a unique set of personal challenges for anyone who undertakes this vocation. With its Trauma Informed Care approach to the work, the Coalition truly provides a tangible way for employees to care for themselves at the same time we care for the most vulnerable members of our larger community.

Cons

Change occurs slowly at the Coalition. We're a large organization (over 500 employees) but the feel is often more grass roots. I think internal systems can reflect that grass roots feeling, meaning there is often a scarcity of resources and the tools we need to do our jobs. That seems to be changing slowly.

Advice to Management

When you ask employees for feedback, let us know the results and then tell us how you will address employee concerns/criticisms. More important, follow through with actually doing something about it.

2. Loved working here.

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff that largely cares deeply for the homeless. Good pay, great benefits.

Cons

Large organization; can feel as though your input is not easily heard (depending on your position or role)

My experience has been bitter sweet...love the helping the homeless.

Pros

Benefits are wonderful, very employee oriented company, on-going training. Your ideas are accepted and put to use before your eyes.

Cons

Mental health issues of patients without medications can be very stressful. It is unknown of what each day may bring...safe or not.

Incompetent Management, toxic atmosphere

Former Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of anything positive to say about CCH; I only stayed for a year due to the toxic environment.

Cons

I was a higher-level employee at CCH and was absolutely appalled by the lack of professionalism, lack of ethics and dishonesty of senior management.

Advice to Management

I believe that upper management is not open to any kind of advice or feedback: they show no interest in personal or staff development and maintain an attitude of superiority that prohibits new learning or constructive change.

Lacking in some areas, good in others

Current Employee - Case Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time

Pros

Work with great people, help others. Relaxed environment, rewarding work

Cons

Too much stress without enough compensation. There is a feeling of never being able to get all the work done, being pulled in a million directions without being able to set clear boundaries. Occasionally will be put in unsafe conditions working with people with extreme issues/no clear instruction on what to do in these situations.

Advice to Management

Work on creating safer working conditions for staff with a workload that conforms to capabilities of what can be done well. Don't overload people. Work on increasing compensation for staff..

You will work your butt off.

Pros

Benefits are great, 3 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks paid sick to start. Casual dress atmosphere

Cons

Higher level management out of touch. Very disorganized, if you work hard you will continue to and then some. There are a lot of employees who lack ambition and are never dealt with. Expect burnout. Eveyrbody does more than one job, especially if you are picking up the slack for other employees. Causes negativity among staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, review processes and actually make changes instead of "thinking about it". Have consequences and stand behind them for employees that take advantage of the system.

Once A Utopia That Did Not Allowed An Employees Passion To Give The Best To The Clientele....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The beneftts are the best at least when I was there...

Cons

the Managers (some incompetant) and Supervisors are not supportive of their Staff unless your favored and I don't think they care about the clientele more interested in HMIS and input even if it has to be made up. The clientele is not valued any more. They seem to not care and don't follow through then the Clientele suffer not the staff. I'm saddened to see how it has changed over the years to profit themselves instead of the mission.

Advice to Management

Remember where you came from...

9. wonderful vision

I have been working at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time

Pros

best place I've ever worked

Cons

work can be a bit stressful at times

10. CCH is no longer about the mission. Upper management is a joke.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

PTO, flexible hours, my boss and sup were amazing! They were the reason I loved this place. They made me realize my job was important and that my hard work was noticed.

Cons

This company has lost focus of what CCH stood for and now more focused in turning the new clinic into a Kaiser Permanente. I have heard clients complain and feel very uncomfortable in the new building. Upper management doesn't have a clue about its staff and how un organized all departments are. All they see is $ and how to make more. The turn over rate is rediculous which causes problems bc no one is ever trained to do their job.

Advice to Management

Focus on the mission and our fellow clients and less about money and making things fancy.

Horrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This might be a good place to work for new graduates.

Cons

I entered as a manager and was underpaid, mistreated and working for people who had nowhere near my education and years of experience.There is no loyalty to the employees, no opportunity for advancement unless a director has a crush on you (males and females). CCH does not collaborate well with the community and like others have said it's a very corporate environment. The CEO has no interest in getting to know the staff. There are virtually no trainings aimed at staff development. The CEO takes a corporate level salary while employee pay is the lowest in the area.One individual in upper management is particularly incompetent, plays favorites with her inner circle and is blatently dishonest, i.e. a liar. Terrible working environment; the worst I've encountered in 27 years.

Advice to Management

Try thinking about people other than yourselves, and "do unto others..."

RSS Feed </> Embed