Colorado Coalition for the Homeless

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.8

John Parvensky

You will work your butt off.

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless

Pros

Benefits are great, 3 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks paid sick to start. Casual dress atmosphere

Cons

Higher level management out of touch. Very disorganized, if you work hard you will continue to and then some. There are a lot of employees who lack ambition and are never dealt with. Expect burnout. Eveyrbody does more than one job, especially if you are picking up the slack for other employees. Causes negativity among staff.

Listen to your employees, review processes and actually make changes instead of "thinking about it". Have consequences and stand behind them for employees that take advantage of the system.

wonderful vision

I have been working at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time

Pros

best place I've ever worked

Cons

work can be a bit stressful at times

Once A Utopia That Did Not Allowed An Employees Passion To Give The Best To The Clientele....

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The beneftts are the best at least when I was there...

Cons

the Managers (some incompetant) and Supervisors are not supportive of their Staff unless your favored and I don't think they care about the clientele more interested in HMIS and input even if it has to be made up. The clientele is not valued any more. They seem to not care and don't follow through then the Clientele suffer not the staff. I'm saddened to see how it has changed over the years to profit themselves instead of the mission.

Remember where you came from...

CCH is no longer about the mission. Upper management is a joke.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PTO, flexible hours, my boss and sup were amazing! They were the reason I loved this place. They made me realize my job was important and that my hard work was noticed.

Cons

This company has lost focus of what CCH stood for and now more focused in turning the new clinic into a Kaiser Permanente. I have heard clients complain and feel very uncomfortable in the new building. Upper management doesn't have a clue about its staff and how un organized all departments are. All they see is $ and how to make more. The turn over rate is rediculous which causes problems bc no one is ever trained to do their job.

Focus on the mission and our fellow clients and less about money and making things fancy.

Horrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This might be a good place to work for new graduates.

Cons

I entered as a manager and was underpaid, mistreated and working for people who had nowhere near my education and years of experience.There is no loyalty to the employees, no opportunity for advancement unless a director has a crush on you (males and females). CCH does not collaborate well with the community and like others have said it's a very corporate environment. The CEO has no interest in getting to know the staff. There are virtually no trainings aimed at staff development. The CEO takes a corporate level salary while employee pay is the lowest in the area.One individual in upper management is particularly incompetent, plays favorites with her inner circle and is blatently dishonest, i.e. a liar. Terrible working environment; the worst I've encountered in 27 years.

Try thinking about people other than yourselves, and "do unto others..."

Learned a Lot at this company.

Former Employee - Accountant II in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Accountant II in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits, company was nice to work for in most cases.

Cons

Was not considered for a position that I would have been more qualified for then the person the gave it to.

If you have a passion to work with the homeless....

Former Employee - Clinical Case Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Clinical Case Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many of the departments at the Coalition are filled with very dedicated and hard working professionals. The benefit package is wonderful. The time off policies is also very good. The CEO is a caring individual which makes the Coalition one of the best places to work. The best is the clientele they have so much to offer as you practice your myrid of skills.

Cons

Depending who your manager is will decide how well you will thrive in this organization. If you are accepted by the manager and do not challenge them you have job security. Personal growth is limited to just a few and is decided by the manager. Depending on education promotions can be achieved.

Listen to the employee and support with solutions if an issue arise. Clashing personalities should not dictate a poor relationship. Many good employees leave due to the management being dishonest or not doing their job. The employee is usually not protected by upper management.

The Colorado Coalition for the Homeless engages in some unethical practices and does not adhere to its mission.

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The young case managers and lower paid "front line" workers are dedicated and still seem to care about the needs of the homeless that they serve. The founding CEO seems to really fight for the homeless, but doesn't hire leadership staff who are authentic and approachable by the "consumers" - that's what they call the people they serve.

Cons

Too corporate! They keep sub-standard employees around for decades who are not qualified and are downright mean to everyone (even other employees), who get complaints constantly. But sadly, they let go of dedicated employees who have no write-ups, and provide no legitimate or believable explanation. This organization may be "non-profit" but you wouldn't believe it if you spent any time around the leadership staff. Out of touch.

Get rid of the corporate snobs at the top, as they are the exact opposite of what the homeless of Denver need, as these types of bureaucrats cannot relate in any way at all to the under-served population who are suffering in many ways. The leadership staff of CCH lacks genuine compassion and does not show true concern for the "consumers". They've been behind the desks for so long, and not in the "front lines" (as they put it), never in the thick of it, on the streets, that they come across as callous or numb to it all.

Good social justice organization dedicated to homelessness in Colorado

Former Employee - Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid organization with excellent CEO

Cons

Pay us below average and stress is above average

Build in better wellness programs for the employees to maintain them longer and reduce turnover

Was an amazing organization fighting homlessness

Former Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Fights against the city's awful policies regarding homelessness

Cons

The work can be very draining and the pay won't cover your bills in NYC