Colorado Department of Corrections

1. Great place, with a great potential if you are able to handle it

Current Employee - Correctional Officer I in Sterling, CO
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer I in Sterling, CO

I have been working at Colorado Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

There are so many great things about working for the CDOC. First, you have the ability to learn so many different things through various trainings that they offer. There is everything from ground avoidance techniques, health classes, all the way to time management, and trainings on how to destress outside of work. since starting, its been a huge learning experience. Second, the CDOC has made a huge shift in how they treat their employees. While many state correctional agencies do not see staff as a great asset, colorado see's their employees as one of their greatest. The pay is respectable, I believe its in the top 10 highest paid of all state DOC's although I haven't confirmed that. Although my favorite part about working for the department of corrections is the amount of potential there is to working there, there are so many different job opportunities within the department. I have known several people who have started off as teachers and decide to move to an administrative position, security position, food service, payroll...the list goes on and on. In addition to that there is ample opportunities to earn a great deal more than what your base pay is. There is always ample amounts of overtime available if you're willing to take the extra shifts.

Cons

Honestly the biggest con to the department is the stress that comes with working there. working among convicted felons, who want to hurt you or even kill you constantly is tiring and only those who are mentally strong will be able to make this a career. In addition to that, I feel that some people who are promoted, are promoted simply because they have worked there longer and not necessarily because they are the right candidate. With that being said, a majority of them are fine.

Advice to Management

My advice is to keep going in the direction that you have been going in regards to treating your staff as valuable assets. In addition, make sure to promote those who are truly deserving instead of those who have simply worked for 10 years longer.

Supervisor 1

Current Employee - Supervisor in Pueblo West, CO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Pueblo West, CO

I have been working at Colorado Department of Corrections full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

on a positive note the department is growing. the negative side is in the wrong direction.

Cons

Too much favoritism for the people that are clingy, or for the best friend...

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff they are your greasest resource!!!!!

3. Correctional Officer

I have been working at Colorado Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

This position I have held for 10 years now has been a learning experience from day one. This department provides so many training opportunities to include positive professional communication, Training for Trainers, American Heart Association (CPR classes), Self Defense, Professionalism and Ethics. The list goes on and on. It has been exciting working with Criminals of all back grounds, and I have met a lot of really good people who care about each others safety, and well being. CDOC has given me the opportunity to be involved in many different positions, whether it was working in a cell block, or outside the fence in a guard tower, or running maintenance crews, I have done it all. I will miss the job, but more importantly I will miss the friends I have made along the way.

Cons

The job is very stressful when you know that everyone that is in prison hates you in some fashion. Some may feel it is your fault they are incarcerated, or just have no respect for law enforcement. You have to be on alert 100% of the time, and be aware of your surroundings, and in a sense, be looking over your shoulder constantly. The demand of the job requires you to see and hear things that the general public would never hear or see, and you have to try and keep those things secret from your family. Basically pretend that it does not bother you and that you are strong mentally. Sometimes it is hard when you see people hurt them selves because they are depressed.

Advice to Management

My advice is simple, keep it simple. Always do the right thing even when know one is looking and take care of your bottom line, because they are the one's that will take care of you, if you take care of them!

5. Manage Offenders

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Denver, CO

Pros

Helps to develop leadership skills. You are the Manager for customer service.

Cons

The downside is the Offenders have Authority issues and self esteem issues.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

6. Administrative Assistant III

Pros

Worked with legal department and Attorney General's office. Worked on multiple data banks . Filing, keeping headquarters appraised of prisoner allegations. Set conference calls and video court hearings.

Cons

I can think of nothing negative about my previous job

Advice to Management

I am willing to learn anything and am noted by my peers to be easy to work with and a team as well as an individual player

Very poor management and NO leaders with vision

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Department of Corrections full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can develop people skills not equaled anywhere else. You can learn to negotiate with anyone under any circumstances.

Cons

High levels of tension, anger and violence. Inability to trust anyone; lots of immaturity, impulsiveness; many people using the rules to get over on people. And those are the managers...you still have to work with your coworkers and inmates. If you can find a job at McDonalds, go work there. You will be treated better.

8. change for the worse

Current Employee - C/O1
    Current Employee - C/O1

Pros

great pay, thats about all there could be said for the position

Cons

horrible working environment, time off is horrible, on the job training isnt what it use to be

Very low pay and one raise in 6 years.

Current Employee - Community Parole Officer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Community Parole Officer in Denver, CO

Pros

Work life balance, but even that is going away with the new administration in place.

Cons

-Low pay -Dangerous work for the very low pay -Middle management that has no clue how to manage -Management allows in office harassment, lying, and other higher paid officers don't do their jobs -There is a discrepancy in pay from the highest paid offer and lowest paid of over $20,000/year

Advice to Management

You have lost 40 officers in 9 months. You better work on some kind of retention policy or you will lose really great officers.

DOC clinical services, not worth it

Former Employee - Social Worker in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Colorado Department of Corrections full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Jobs are available, rural employment, might be good work for officers, post-military friendly, paid month-long training, potentially steady work

Cons

Very little promotion or pay advancement. Ugly culture, administration weighed heavy with unskilled leadership, new staff frequently paid more than current staff, very little work-life balance compared to other state departments

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, make efforts to keep your good staff.

Good

Current Employee - CO1 in Limon, CO
    Current Employee - CO1 in Limon, CO

I have been working at Colorado Department of Corrections full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teamwork. Plenty of additional hours available to work. Advancement opportunities are good. Pay for entry level employees is great. Seasoned staff are a plus.

Cons

Hours. Dealing with dangerous, violent criminals is stressful. Cold, dark, loud, working environment. High turnover rate of staff. Compromised staff pose high risk for danger/violence.

Advice to Management

Increase training

RSS Feed </> Embed