Colorado Department of Corrections

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Poor

ProsYou can meet some good people

ConsManagers are very self-centered, promotion oriented with very few leaders.

Advice to Senior Managementstop believing your own PR

Very low pay and one raise in 6 years.

Community Parole Officer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsWork life balance, but even that is going away with the new administration in place.

Cons-Low pay
    -Dangerous work for the very low pay
    -Middle management that has no clue how to manage
    -Management allows in office harassment, lying, and other higher paid officers don't do their jobs
    -There is a discrepancy in pay from the highest paid offer and lowest paid of over $20,000/year

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost 40 officers in 9 months. You better work on some kind of retention policy or you will lose really great officers.

DOC clinical services, not worth it

Social Worker (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsJobs are available, rural employment, might be good work for officers, post-military friendly, paid month-long training, potentially steady work

ConsVery little promotion or pay advancement. Ugly culture, administration weighed heavy with unskilled leadership, new staff frequently paid more than current staff, very little work-life balance compared to other state departments

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, make efforts to keep your good staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

CO1 (Current Employee) Limon, CO

ProsTeamwork. Plenty of additional hours available to work. Advancement opportunities are good. Pay for entry level employees is great. Seasoned staff are a plus.

ConsHours. Dealing with dangerous, violent criminals is stressful. Cold, dark, loud, working environment. High turnover rate of staff. Compromised staff pose high risk for danger/violence.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease training

Negative environment

Trainer (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsSecurity and Benefits are about the only ones

ConsLack of training and incentive

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with others besides other management

Fraught with too many pay cuts and unpaid furlough days.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsEasy to sign up for classes to learn new things.

ConsEveryone is related to everyone else and if you're not, don't expect to get anywhere in the agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's better to try to be more open minded and look beyond family and sycophantic followers to see who really has a desire to learn more and do well.

Under staffed, and no pay raise in 5+ vears

Corrections Officer (Current Employee) Canon City, CO

ProsI have a total of 14 years in and have had good raises in the first several years of employmen. So, for me the pay is decent.

ConsStaff that have been with Colorado DOC for 6 years or less have had NO payraise. All state prisons are very under staffed. If a person calls off on one shift another has to stay over, and it is something that is ongoing. The state wants you to make sure you keep it number one on your priority list, not your family!

Very good

Correctional Officer I (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood pay and benefits. Recession proof. Opportunities for change and growth.

ConsBe careful. Politics within the organization is very much a factor with being looked upon by superiors if you will receive favorable status or not. Your job will be secure, as long as you don't do anything stupid; however, you need to be aware that it is very much a place where your career can be made or broken by saying or not saying the right or wrong thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople make mistakes. This is a job that is stressful and unforgiving. As no actual laws are broken, advise and not criticize. Some of you made errors early in your career. Don’t go over-board. Talk with the officer and advise the correct coarse of action and why.

no life!!

Correction Officer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood training and job security. Some what good leadership and they do give you uniforms. avg of 2.5 weeks of vacation time.

ConsYou have no control what shift you will work and no control over the days off. NO holidays off eer inless it just happens to fall on your day off.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to take a test and compet with 150 other officers and only 4 or 5 advance and then if you do advance you will be back on the bottom of the list for new days off.

Worked for Colorado Department of Corrections? Contribute to the Community!