Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
3.8

CEO

Great place to work, opportunities for valuable experience and advancement.

Former Employee - Environmental Protection Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Environmental Protection Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid benefits, good job security, professional workforce dedicated to good works

Cons

Occasional bureaucratic ritualism. Culture of tenured workers acting above reproach. Little reward for creative innovation at many positions.

Do not get too entrenched in policies meant to show fairness in promotions and opportunities. Reward hardworking and exemplary junior employees with better than typical rewards.

Great staff but lousy leaders

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work here are smart, passionate, committed people who want to make the world a better place. They work very hard and routinely exceed 40 hours because they are so committed. Most of them are nothing like the stereotype of a bureaucrat. They are fun. The middle managers work very hard to meet their needs and they offer accommodations like flexible work place and flexible work time.

Cons

The organization's leadership is terrible. Most of them are political appointees who have a very short term view. The C suite executives are awful, low talented self-promoters. Many of the division directors are not qualified for their positions and care less about the work than their employees. The governor's office meddles in many issues and political expediency too often trumps judgment and expertise. People are also treated quite badly by the leadership. The administrative division is a joke. HR is slow and unhelpful. While departing employees only have to give two weeks, it can take 4 months to replace a position and sometimes more. The budget, accounting, procurement and contracting units operate at a very low level. They are bureaucratic and don't operate with a customer service view. They make lots of mistakes and staff often remark that they operate less like team-mates than adversaries.

Resign! The governor's administration should care more about hiring competent managers who monitor and improve organizational operations than their next promotion.

It could be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good retirement, health care benefits, stability and security. The department does interesting work.

Cons

Bureaucracy.
    The only way for most people to get a pay raise is to get a promotion.
    During the recession staff was told there would be no cost of living increases, was forced to take furloughs but some of management did a job title change while essentially continuing to do the same job and gave themselves raises. That didn't sit well with staff. Maybe they thought staff wouldn't find out but staff always finds out.
    Lack of consistent expectations of workers. Some people do as little as possible and skate by and some people working their butts off.

Hold all consistently to the same standards. If staff is not able to get a pay increase of any kind don't secretly give yourselves ones. Quit promoting people who are absolutely clueless in how to manage people. And manage the people that are under your supervision.

Probably my favorite work situation ever!

Current Employee - General Professional III in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - General Professional III in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

STABILITY -> Hopefully I'll <never> have to go back to the private sector again(!)
    Great benefits
    Excellent work-life balance
    Understanding management (at least around me)
    Great diversity
    Decent opportunities for advancement

Cons

No tele-commuting (yet)
    As my boss says, "It's the government -> things move slowly"
    Bureaucracy (but not nec. as bad as I thought it'd be)
    I've heard from long-timers of how radically things can chance (for the worse) when a new Governor starts ... ?
    Culture can change between divisions, programs, etc. (some people hate it @ CDPHE, but not me!)
    Plenty of "silos & stovepipes" where one division doesn't know what the other is up to (but that's probably true of most large org's)

I truly do like my boss, and like her boss even more. I always encourage work between other programs, divisions, etc. ... as we're all in the same department.

Great work, unstable environment

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really interesting, valuable work. Many mission-driven people. The work was always interesting.

Cons

Consistently changing structure with changing administrations. Good retirement benefits (pension plan). lack of ability to get raises year to year.

modify salary by contribution. Seems to be a "fairness" mentality related to seniority rather than outcomes.

Very positive work culture

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers believe in the work that they do and they hold high standards for themselves and others. The work-life balance is very good and especially for employees with families.

Cons

Work environment and work ethic vary by division, which can make it difficult to work with others within the department.

Being friendly to new hires is especially important during their transition period. It is easy to feel lost in the mix.

Great experience and great cause

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

travel is great and making a difference in compliance

Cons

salary is poor for workload and hours put in

Completely Incompetent Leadership - Executive and Senior Level Managers

I have been working at Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment

Pros

work-life balance
    flexibility in some groups

Cons

Executive Director and his leadership team are completely out of touch with reality
    Senior Level Managers are conflict avoiders who perpetuate problem employees and these same Managers show no leadership
    No mechanism for merit-based pay or other increases in pay
    workload

conflict avoiders do not belong in management
    no more favoratism of incompetent employees
    start recognizing those who are the most talented and who do the most work
    stop hiring people just for the sake of bringing bodies in the door

Govt

I have been working at Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment

Pros

The job is reliable and is a good place to start out with career for stability.

Cons

THe Government depends on your raise.

No advice to management since you really can't decide on what you give the employees as far as raises go.

Work at Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment? Share Your Experiences

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment