Colorado Judicial Branch

Michael L. Bender

1. Court Judicial Assistant

Current Employee - Court Judicial Assistant in Greeley, CO
    Current Employee - Court Judicial Assistant in Greeley, CO

I have been working at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AMAZING BENEFITS AND PTO, great coworkers and fast paced work environment. Training is fun and great for recent college graduates

Cons

Difficult to move upward. Have to deal with AWFUL people sometimes. Some coworkers frequently threaten to retire. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Allow for more growth opportunities and listen to employees every once in a while rather than focusing on keeping things afloat.

2. Working with this group was inspirational, meeting professional expectations at all levels

Current Employee - Legal Assistant/Victim Witness Specialist in Cortez, CO
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant/Victim Witness Specialist in Cortez, CO

I have been working at Colorado Judicial Branch

Pros

Family type atmosphere. We could bring our dogs in and had monthly luncheons in-house to celebrate birthdays, positive court outcomes etc. Trainings were provided often to promote individual growth and education. Bonuses were generous and received as acknowledgement of our budgetary responsibility. Communication between peers was excellent. Discussion was encouraged at all levels. Representing victims while maintaining legal responsibilities was exciting and recognized.

Cons

My department should ideally have 3 persons. When I began it had 2, then without notice became my sole responsibility. The workload was intense and sometimes the days were 12 hours or more long. I loved that I was challenged to my fullest ability.

Advice to Management

None. This was one of the best employment experiences in my adult life and I was sad to leave.

3. Great People, Interesting work, management needs improvement

Current Employee - Computer Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Computer Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced, interesting job duties, fun people, challenging amount of work to complete to say the least! First level supervisor is really good, given the pressures, and workload.

Cons

- most positions are severely understaffed.
    - technical positions extremely understaffed.
    - impossible amounts of work that must be completed with no option of working overtime
    - interview process in my case was unethical. Was told I could advance in same job tier after a year if my job performance warranted it. Was top performer, never was able to advance! Turns out that was a fabrication, there never was even a process to promote/advance in tier levels.

Advice to Management

Requiring people to get X amount of work done with inadequate resources with no recourse is a recipe for disaster. Turn over is high because of this, and will only get worse. Saving $$ on headcount today, will result in BIG headaches tomorrow.

Non stop learning

I have been working at Colorado Judicial Branch (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to learn and grow professionally. There are a lot of IT projects and many opportunities to get involved and learn. The benefits are good for retirement and vacation days are better than most private employers.

Cons

Because of all the projects, the pace can be exhausting. The health insurance plans could be better.

Advice to Management

Slow the pace just a little bit.

6. Rewarding and interesting work.

I have been working at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am constantly learning and I feel like I have a lot of responsibility. The administration is very positive and the systems seems to be well-run.

Cons

Some of the challenges include when there are slow times and the unfortunate experience of having to sit at a desk all day.

Depends on department and boss

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pension is good. In theory, you get a bit of vacation time too. Some of the departments are run well.

Cons

Your boss and department really impact I your downsides. Promotions can occur either by merit, friendship, time in grade, or some wildcard. If you end up with an under qualified supervisor it can be very frustrating. In my case, I had a supervisor that didn't know the discipline he managed. He also wasn't a good manager in general. He was good at one thing though, he could throw his employees under the bus like no other.

Additionally, a lot of politics occur and employees are placed in the middle. The number of times I had competing clerk of court admins telling me different things was crazy. If I asked my boss for advice he would tell me to figure it out. Inevitably, one would be upset and complain. Then my boss would show his true skill, somehow you are jerk for not making those mutually exclusive requests work at the same time.

I believe in doing good work and finding solutions that are moral, legal, and effective. This is radically different than the culture where decisions are based on "because I want this."

You might have time off earned but will you be allowed to take it? You might be non-exempt and expected to work nights and/or weekends (without compensation time). You may have excelled in college, been a top performer, worked 60 hours a week, be admired by your team, etc and get passed up for a promotion to an under qualified counterpart because he started a year before you.

Advice to Management

Management, find out why some areas have huge turnover. My supervisor had 20 percent plus annual turnover yet no exit interviews occurred. No one called our team and asked why turnover was so high. I imagine you asked him and he had excuses but you got all your info from him.

8. Political correctness run amok.

Current Employee - IT Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The job itself was wonderful. For the most part good work/life balance. Very generous vacation policy and superb retirement plan. Most of the people are wonderful to work with.

Cons

The judicial department does not have a good idea of how to operate an IT department. Definitely a matter of the tail wagging the dog and can become quite frustrating for innovative and action oriented people.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees and make honest attempts at learning to trust and work hand in hand with your employees. Learn to appreciate substance and stop relying so heavily on appearance as the most important quality of a good employee.

9. Good Company but no room for advancement

Former Employee - Court Judicial Assistant in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Court Judicial Assistant in Centennial, CO

I worked at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn some invaluable skills
    Good benefits
    Amazing PTO
    Good people

Cons

Horrible management
    Low wages
    No room for advancement
    No raises
    Favoritism

Advice to Management

Look at promoting from within instead of hiring from the outside. You are forcing people to leave the organization to gain the skills to be able to jump back in. Your wages do not hold people so advancement and showing people they are appreciated is the only way you are going to retain the good employees.

Best job I have ever had

Current Employee - Information Technology in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Colorado Judicial offers a flexible work schedule, competitive salaries, good benefits including a pension plan, and a pleasant work environment. We get to work with current technology and challenging projects. We have opportunities for technology professionals of all experience levels and diverse skills.

Earlier in my career I never stayed in any job more than 3 - 4 years because I was always looking for bigger and better opportunities. I have now been with the Judicial Branch for 10 years because I don't think there is a better place to work in state of Colorado.

Cons

As with any IT job, there are times when evening or weekend work is required. The weekend work only happens a couple times a year, so it isn't a big thing, especially since managers can give you some comp time to help offset some of these hours.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You are moving the branch in right direction.

11. Stable job

Current Employee - Information Technology in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally speaking job is stable and secure. Good work/life balance, pto.

Cons

However, this being government is full of incompetent people who are only interested in office politics. The pay sucks, isn't even remotely close to private sector. The benefits are horrible when compared to private sector. The only people it can attract and retain have to be incompetent given the pay-scale and benefits.

RSS Feed </> Embed