Colorado Judicial Branch

Be The First To
Add Photos

Colorado Judicial Branch Chief Justice Michael L. Bender

Michael L. Bender

Best job I have ever had

Information Technology (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time for more than 10 years

ProsColorado Judicial offers a flexible work schedule, competitive salaries, good benefits including a pension plan, and a pleasant work environment. We get to work with current technology and challenging projects. We have opportunities for technology professionals of all experience levels and diverse skills.

Earlier in my career I never stayed in any job more than 3 - 4 years because I was always looking for bigger and better opportunities. I have now been with the Judicial Branch for 10 years because I don't think there is a better place to work in state of Colorado.

ConsAs with any IT job, there are times when evening or weekend work is required. The weekend work only happens a couple times a year, so it isn't a big thing, especially since managers can give you some comp time to help offset some of these hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. You are moving the branch in right direction.

Good Company but no room for advancement

Court Judicial Assistant (Former Employee)
Centennial, CO

I worked at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to learn some invaluable skills
Good benefits
Amazing PTO
Good people

ConsHorrible management
Low wages
No room for advancement
No raises
Favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at promoting from within instead of hiring from the outside. You are forcing people to leave the organization to gain the skills to be able to jump back in. Your wages do not hold people so advancement and showing people they are appreciated is the only way you are going to retain the good employees.

Stable job

Information Technology (Current Employee)

I have been working at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGenerally speaking job is stable and secure. Good work/life balance, pto.

ConsHowever, this being government is full of incompetent people who are only interested in office politics. The pay sucks, isn't even remotely close to private sector. The benefits are horrible when compared to private sector. The only people it can attract and retain have to be incompetent given the pay-scale and benefits.

Law Clerk

Law Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at Colorado Judicial Branch part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat experience working directly for judges, who I admire greatly. I learned how to research and write well. As a law clerk you gain an invaluable insight into how judges rule and why as well as a general comfort level in the court room.

ConsParts of the administrative staff are very unwelcoming to young attorney law clerks (who are really there to learn). Low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the justices more authority on what they need in their division as far as staffing and other decisions

Good employees, bad Administratino

Probation Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time for more than 3 years

Prosget to work your own schedule and basicall set your own hours after 6 months probation period. Work close to down town so 16th street mall is close for food, shopping and people watching.

ConsAdministration does not stay on the same page. What goes for one unit contradicts another unit. Have to pay for parking as closest free parking is 2 miles away. Not bad during summer but winter and when rains is not a fun walk.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees instead of feeding your pockets.

This place needs a manager enema.

Java Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at Colorado Judicial Branch full-time

ProsThey have entry-level positions for new college grad programmers, which can be hard to find.

You can do "just barely enough" and not get fired. In fact, you'll probably get promoted.

ConsIT Management is a mess...and they stay until retirement. Their "leadership" is underwhelming to say the least.

I've seen blatant, close friendships between senior managers and specific underlings, clearly leading to favoritism on many levels - duh, your other employees can see this. You're supposed to be a bastion of objectivity since your decisions have a direct impact on people's lives.

Salary is mediocre to terrible. HR will not pay for programming talent. And benefits (medical, dental, etc..) are not as good as you would think for a state job; they are just OK.

There is no reason to excel at your job unless for your own sanity.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot worth the effort.

Worked for Colorado Judicial Branch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Colorado Judicial Branch reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Colorado Judicial Branch CEO Michael L. Bender. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Colorado Judicial Branch employees.