Colorado School of Mines

Colorado School of Mines President Bill Scoggins
Bill Scoggins

Research Student

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines

Pros

Given the chance to work on my research without constant over-site from my adviser, which allows me to really make it my own work.

Cons

Long days in the lab

Colorado School of Mines is a good school for petroleum and chemical engineering.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smaller school so better interpersonal relations. Its close to the mountains, so great things to do outside school on weekends. The career center facilities are very good.

Cons

Not too many opportunities for majors other than petroleum, mining and chemical engineers. All research is geared toward geology and geophysics. Very less focus on other branches of science.

Like a PC Salem

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours, Many of the faculty were easy to work with. Most of the students are understanding. If you needed to be in the area they were o to let you do your job.

Cons

The hierarchy of the Facilities Management are more concerned about office politics than their employees. Instead of running a facility like they wanted work done correctly. They were more concerned about if anyone was offending anyone else. A true PC witch hunt with more of a "don't say anything" or your likely to be fired atmosphere than of a higher education facility.

The place truly could be better. Try to sing a little common sense. Not everything anyone says should be viewed as 100% negative. There is such a thing as positive feedback but you rarely view it as such.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good research experience while getting my degree

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant

I worked at Colorado School of Mines full-time

Pros

Good salary, access to student health services, research work tied in closely with education requirements, excellent professors to work for, well connected with industry, actually able to have a life outside of class and the lab

Cons

A lot of variability in actual lab capabilities, very hierarchical but what you would expect for grad school, research budget is limited, some professors lack lab experience and have an unrealistic expectation of what can actually be done

Great school and great place to work, but watch out for admin

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines

Pros

Great professors, great research, sky is the limit. Work life balance is what you make, lots of opportunities

Cons

Anything in admin is a nightmare, if a company was run by CSM's administration it would go under in less then a year.

The experience was useful, but felt fairly repetitive.

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great and I am able to learn a lot from the work. The work does help you to develop the mindset of a researcher and asking the important questions.

Cons

Sometimes the research meetings run longer that you would like while you are doing some time sensitive experiments. Also there are days where you aren't able to do much because the instruments need time to run the sample.

Provide additional training on the instruments that some labs use. It's better to have the experience and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Colorado School of Mines offers challenging opportunities that allow you to bring out your best abilities and learn from others.

Cons

My position was a short-term contract; I would have preferred full-time position.

Offer to extend contract for employees/graduates who worked diligently during their contract.

Love working at Mines!

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great place to work. Great location, friendly atmosphere. Committed to learning in all aspects. All of the people who work here are committed to student excellence and work together to that end. The students are valued and receive a great education.

Cons

As student population grows, responsibilities increase with compensation increases not keeping up with the cost of living increases

Consider flex time for employees, paying for parking as a perk,

Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Golden, CO

I worked at Colorado School of Mines part-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to interact with students.

Cons

Not applicable, Not applicable, Not applicable, Not applicable

N/A

Great place to work

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Golden, CO

I worked at Colorado School of Mines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being a college, work experiences are going to depend on your department and who you work for. I had a great boss. The benefits are quite good as was the salary for a postdoc. Would've stayed forever if possible. Work schedules are as flexible as is possible.

Cons

My position was temporary. Research community is small compared to larger universities.

Worked for Colorado School of Mines? Contribute to the Community!