Colorado School of Mines Reviews

Updated August 6, 2014

4.0

Colorado School of Mines President Bill Scoggins
Bill Scoggins

Good research experience while getting my degree

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant

I worked at Colorado School of Mines full-time

Pros

Good salary, access to student health services, research work tied in closely with education requirements, excellent professors to work for, well connected with industry, actually able to have a life outside of class and the lab

Cons

A lot of variability in actual lab capabilities, very hierarchical but what you would expect for grad school, research budget is limited, some professors lack lab experience and have an unrealistic expectation of what can actually be done

Great school and great place to work, but watch out for admin

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines

Pros

Great professors, great research, sky is the limit. Work life balance is what you make, lots of opportunities

Cons

Anything in admin is a nightmare, if a company was run by CSM's administration it would go under in less then a year.

The experience was useful, but felt fairly repetitive.

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great and I am able to learn a lot from the work. The work does help you to develop the mindset of a researcher and asking the important questions.

Cons

Sometimes the research meetings run longer that you would like while you are doing some time sensitive experiments. Also there are days where you aren't able to do much because the instruments need time to run the sample.

Provide additional training on the instruments that some labs use. It's better to have the experience and not need it than to need it and not have it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Colorado School of Mines offers challenging opportunities that allow you to bring out your best abilities and learn from others.

Cons

My position was a short-term contract; I would have preferred full-time position.

Offer to extend contract for employees/graduates who worked diligently during their contract.

Love working at Mines!

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great place to work. Great location, friendly atmosphere. Committed to learning in all aspects. All of the people who work here are committed to student excellence and work together to that end. The students are valued and receive a great education.

Cons

As student population grows, responsibilities increase with compensation increases not keeping up with the cost of living increases

Consider flex time for employees, paying for parking as a perk,

A Poor working environment with NO accountabilty

Current Employee - Custodial FM  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Custodial FM in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines full-time for less than a year

Pros

In my time there I have met a few nice coworkers that I would call friends. They have a good benefit package with dental. The areas are pretty much kept up. A few of the buildings are newer and modern enough to keep looking nice.

Cons

They expect top notch work for not that great of pay. $9 hr has a lot to be desired when you consider a grueling workload. Only paid once a month so with the little real pay involved it's next to impossible to budget the check to last until the next payday. We are ordered to use chemicals and abrasive scrubbers on asbestos floors (Never a good idea and forbidden by OSHA). Showers are "Cleaned" with disinfectant not a cleanser. Kind of like using a disinfectant spray on soap scum. Not going to do well. They have a lot of turnover which really complicates the timelines they expect things to be done in. Supervisors hold very few accountable unless it's a popularity issue.

Show some consideration for people in the Custodial Ranks. No one in FM Hierarchy seems to respect anyone's input or ideas. If anyone has a unpopular idea suddenly they're outcasts and their ideas are shelved and never implemented. If a person has a opinion they're better off never saying anything because of the fear of offending anyone. A good place to start would be rather than moving every employee to new areas every few months. Have the supervisors move instead and have some accountability among the staff. Everyone just shrugs their shoulders and the supervisor's are too fearful they may become unpopular to enforce general cleaning standards. Instead they worry about how you like your job and did anyone say anything to upset you etc. A general don't be mad at me environment. Not good if you have a facility to run. Too much pandering to the few who care more about what someone said than to grow up and move on.

Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Golden, CO

I worked at Colorado School of Mines part-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to interact with students.

Cons

Not applicable, Not applicable, Not applicable, Not applicable

N/A

Great place to work

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Golden, CO

I worked at Colorado School of Mines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being a college, work experiences are going to depend on your department and who you work for. I had a great boss. The benefits are quite good as was the salary for a postdoc. Would've stayed forever if possible. Work schedules are as flexible as is possible.

Cons

My position was temporary. Research community is small compared to larger universities.

Great place to work with a few minor caveats

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people that work here are friendly and generally great to work with. Benefits package is probably better than most. Average vacation and holidays.

Cons

Salary compensation is not top of class. New hires are tough to get approved so work load can be heavy. Raises in the classified system are nearly nonexistent.

Let us hire more people so that we can properly manage all the equipment you allow us to buy and that is needed to operate a top rate institution.

Student Reasercher

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Golden, CO

I have been working at Colorado School of Mines part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work in a lab as a student for a funded PHD student. I have flexible hours, and am able to easily integrate it into my school schedule. I have become a part of the team and I happy at my job

Cons

The lab space is less than perfect, especially for what we are working on. I don't believe it is a health threatening situation however.

Worked for Colorado School of Mines? Contribute to the Community!