Colorado State University

Updated January 22, 2015
4.1

Colorado State University President Anthony A. Frank
Anthony A. Frank

Pros
  • Fort Collins is one of the best places to live and the CSU campus is absolutely gorgeous (in 13 reviews)

• Great working environment where everybody help and sense of community (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, mandatory retirement plan that does not fit well at this stage of your career (in 10 reviews)

• No benefits and working with people who have never had a job before (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a wonderful learning opportunity

I have been working at Colorado State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was an overlap in academia and the industry which gave me practical application knowledge

Cons

There are no cons in working at a university , its exciting and a lot of fun.

This is a good university to work with. The environment here is wonderful. Its education is good enough.

I have been working at Colorado State University

Pros

You can have flexible hours and you have more time dealing with your own work. Insurance is covered if you have enough course credits.

Cons

There is low payment. I don't see any benefit. You don't have work in the summer.

intern

I worked at Colorado State University

Pros

good enviroment to work in

Cons

update facilities around campus and sports complex

keep up good work

great place to work!

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Colorado State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great culture great work life

Cons

public transportation is not much convinient

Ample Opportunity for Students

I worked at Colorado State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a student, everyone is willing to teach you whatever you wish you learn and allows you to choose the projects you wish to take on based on your interests

Cons

It is limited because there are not that many employers who hire students from positions they have while at school. Once you graduate, you have to move on to something else, there is rarely the opportunity to stay with the school.

Phsyics Work Study

Former Employee - Work Study in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Work Study in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Colorado State University

Pros

Supervisor is very easy to work with. All ideas are open for discussion and improvement. Once dissensions are made, things get done in a timely manner where everyone has to do their part. Scheduling work time is easy and flexible to accommodate course work.

Cons

Not really a con, but there is a lot of having to work by yourself and learning how to construct and use equipment on your own. Must have a working knowledge of basic physics and how to help others learn the concepts.

Not too great for postdocs

I have been working at Colorado State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, relaxed atmosphere. Excellent research facilities and equipment.

Cons

Little opportunity, little chance of permanent employment. Too many husband-wife labs make the environment for challenging an inappropriate situation nil.

Adhere to nationally accepted HR standards.

Postdoc With Own Funding

I worked at Colorado State University

Pros

The town is bike friendly, and small enough that you can live most anywhere and be within a 45 minute bike ride to campus.

Cons

I came as a postdoc with my own line of funding, so my perspective is going to be different than an actual employee. However, these are my gripes:

1. I was never recognized as a postdoc. My title was something like 'Affiliate Researcher'.
    2. Given my non-status as a postdoc, I was not privy to benefits other postdocs or employees had, such as reduced cost membership to the gym or university health benefits.
    3. Because I was not considered a postdoc, HR would not sign paperwork which would have allowed me to put my loans into deferment...the same was true of my funding source (NSF) (I went rounds and rounds for months trying to get a signature...nope). As such, I think accrued ~$10K a year in interest (why bother looking? When the initial debt is already >$100K, its just more stress than it's worth, IMHO), as I could not afford loan payments in addition to the ~$400/mo for health insurance. Thankfully, I was able to use COBRA through the university where I got my PhD for a chunk of my time there. After that, I had to start buying on the open market.
    4. If there was a postdoc association, they were very low key. As such, I did not attend any 'career advancement' events (in the words of my NSF PM). Many postdoc associations offer things such as grants or other small bits of funding to offset the cost of things such as attending conferences. Given my non-status, I would not have been eligible.

There needs to be a protocol put into place whereby individuals who come with their own financial support have some sort of university backing/status. My salary may have been higher than the pdoc whose desk was next to mine, but after you deduct the interest I had to pay on my loans and the insurance I had to buy for myself, I certainly was not any better off financially.

Very good place to work in

Current Employee - Research Scientist II in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Research Scientist II in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Colorado State University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Chances to learn a lot, very good work environment, friendly coworkers, Very good place to raise family, Tuition discount for dependents is a huge plus. good 401k.

Cons

Working as a research scientist on soft money requires a continuous hunting for grants , not very good for job security. not so good health insurance package.

Consider having permanent positions for researchers that has worked over 10 years for CSU and helped obtaining several grants..

Good experience in a great location

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Colorado State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location, lots of new buildings going up, decent compensation for employees, easy access to supervisors and management, self-service human resource website, centrally located in the city, access to incredible seminars, talks, art, training

Cons

state budgets constrain opportunities for expanding workforce, compensation was just enough to live on, but thats about it, health benefits were pretty minimal but at least they were offered

Colorado State University Photos