Colorado Technical University

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Admission Advisor

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Colorado Technical University full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoy working with students helping them reach their educational goals. It is a very rewarding feeling.

ConsThere is a lack of communication with the management team. It is a sells environment with high metrics and quotas minus the commission. High turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team is not approachable. Encourage your employee’s feedback and stimulate growth. This is a higher education institution. Growth should always be the number one priority.

Colorado Technical University is committed to student engagement in their on ground, and onlines environments!

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Colorado Technical University part-time for more than 5 years

ProsCTU has great leadership who provides ample support to faculty! The curriculum is constantly evolving to meet industry needs. As a professor with CTU, it is a pleasure to teach within such a stable, yet flexible system. There are plenty of opportunities to serve on committees, and to perform. In addition, their commitment to Veteran students is outstanding!

ConsI would like to teach more than two classes, but the system is designed to ensure that students are getting the best, and most focused experience they could ask for. At the same time, some students are ill prepared for the use of technology that is needed for an online environment. It would be helpful to screen out students who can not manage, or provide an entry level tech class to ease students into the online experience.

Pays good, but you pay with your life

Senior Admissions Advisor (Former Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Colorado Technical University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay
great benefits
Opportunity to move up
great skills obtained
opportunity to make a difference in peoples life

ConsGreat levels of favoritism
If you are not in the "IN" crowd, you will not advance
Mandatory overtime
Uprofessional at times
High turnover rate
Very stressful work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher/promote some real managers who can make a difference.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)

ProsVariety of assignments and strucutre

ConsPart time limitations on classes assigned

Colorado Technical University: A Great University for Expanding Your Horizons

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Colorado Technical University

ProsLearn to communicate with colleagues in new ways using message boards that will extend beyond the classroom. Learn advanced security principles that are in demand in the marketplace. Learn extremely helpful guiding principles in project management. Help to make yourself stand out as a leader in technology knowledge.

ConsNo real cons to share.

Advice to Senior ManagementColorado Technical University is a great university! Look for ways to promote and further nurture the excellence of the school.

This place is a prison

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee)
Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Colorado Technical University full-time for less than a year

ProsThe only positive was the pay. I really liked getting paid bi monthly.

ConsThe environment is very hostile and miserable. Every 5 minutes a new email comes from management updating us on enrollments and numbers. The IRC department that connects students to us is a joke. By the time we connect with the potential student, they have lost interest. They don't invest in their employees in fact they don't even supply plates, cups or plastic wear.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop harassing people by going over numbers every 5 minutes.

Distruptive and challenging

Campus Director of Admissions (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Colorado Technical University full-time

ProsMany hard working and talented individuals.

ConsThere is little to no continuity between what the company says it is about and what it says it wants to do for its students and its employees. In my time at CTU there was a great deal of turnover due to poor systems, training, and behavioral management. This resulted in people spending much of their time fearing for their jobs rather than focusing on doing what is best of the prospective student.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can see the yellow line....your too close.

Work culture was young and relaxed, but organization is relatively flat. Promotions were insignificant.

Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee)
Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Colorado Technical University full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to learn and cultivate a variety of basic skills.

ConsWork becomes mundane. When you excel within your department you are often rewarded with a larger workload.

Great company

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Colorado Technical University as a contractor for more than 8 years

ProsI have worked with CTUOnline for 10 years and have very few complaints.

ConsNone I can think of - great company to work for!

Failing company with low standards for students and doesn't value its employees.

Student Advisor (Current Employee)
Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Colorado Technical University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCTU does give exposure to the university system, but because this is a for-profit school, it would be best to use this as a place to gain experience and then move on to a regular school. Benefits are decent: health insurance is Blue Cross, which has the largest network in Illinois. There are opportunities to move to other positions in CEC, but not necessarily a guarantee of more money by doing so. CTU will pay for a portion of certain graduate degree programs.

ConsRaises have been frozen at the company, and the current head of the parent company, Career Education Corporation, has admitted that he's more concerned about pleasing shareholders than he is about pleasing employees. Students are often admitted who probably should go back to high school, but because this is a for-profit school, CTU is focused more on getting their tuition than having high standards for admission. CTU also allows students to stay who have conduct issues which would have gotten them kicked out of a regular university. Forget about work/life balance, because there is none here. You're expected to work until 7pm a couple of nights a week and then a Saturday once a month, and they're always asking people to work overtime on holidays, which are voluntary but strongly encouraged. CTU used to care about the safety of its employees but now that seems to have disappeared. CTU decided to stay open during the record cold despite the fact that even the governor was telling people to stay off the roads because of the icy conditions! Managers pretend to want suggestions but then don't implement them. The outlook for CEC is not good. The financials seem to get worse all the time. Did I mention that Technical Support has now been outsourced to the Philippines?

Advice to Senior ManagementStart valuing employees by giving raises and not just worrying about shareholders. Start valuing the safety of employees by going back to closing the offices during dangerous weather. Raise the standards for admissions of students and dismiss students with conduct issues. Focus on work/life balance by not making employees have to be available all the time for students. Bring Tech Support back to the United States.

Worked for Colorado Technical University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Colorado Technical University reviews and ratings. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Colorado Technical University employees.