Columbia College Chicago Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Kwang-Wu Kim

Pros
  • Working with students, faculty and staff is great (in 4 reviews)

• The students are great, and most of the teachers are dedicated to their job (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There have been ongoing contract negotiations between adjunct faculty members and the administration, which can be daunting (in 3 reviews)

• There is a new president starting soon, so there may be a change in the culture over the next year or so (in 3 reviews)

1. Program Coodinator

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Columbia College Chicago full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, super people

Cons

Under new president and there is a great deal of change happening right now

Advice to Management

Keep everyone informed and involved

2. Adjunct Faculty - History

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Columbia College Chicago

Pros

Working with students who are dynamic thinkers, who make classes a pleasure to teach because of their humor, openness, and willingness to engage.

Cons

It is the typical adjunct experience...absolutely no job security, low pay, finding out that classes have been yanked from you just days before you are supposed to teach them, finding out that your class load is three courses one semester and one or none the next (and not due to lack of enrollment), nowhere to turn and no one with any power to talk to when you have questions.

3. Student Worker

Former Employee - Digital Print Aide in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Digital Print Aide in Chicago, IL

I worked at Columbia College Chicago (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked around my schedule which was great and my boss was an absolute delight. I worked at the DPC in the 623 building and would recommend it for a student.

Cons

Columbia is an interesting place. They don't pay their student workers very well, by very well I mean minimum wage. However, you get the upside of them working around your schedule.

5. Good People, Bad Pay

I worked at Columbia College Chicago

Pros

I had a flexible schedule that worked around my graduate school classes.

Cons

The pay was low, especially in a city like Chicago.

6. Great College to attaend and work for!

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Columbia College Chicago (More than a year)

Pros

Very freindly and collaborative work atmosphere.

Cons

None come to mind to date

Advice to Management

Worknijg on a new Strategic Plan

7. Faculty

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Columbia College Chicago full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Students are some of the best who are passionate about their field of study. Having academic hours for holiday is a plus.

Cons

Most faculty live in their own bubble and only care about themselves. Faculty haven't had meaningful raises in quite a long time.

Advice to Management

Require all faculty to do the work - it's a job, it's more than 2-3 days per week. Make the three areas of faculty performance more clear.

8. Toxic environment

I have been working at Columbia College Chicago

Pros

Great and enthusiastic students and some interesting programming.

Cons

Toxic upper level administration completely removed from every day faculty and staff. CFO in particular is not spoken well of and there is a feeling of us versus them. Employees either living in fear of losing jobs and most are looking. This a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees with respect and eliminate the vast separation between you and the rest of us. There is no connection anymore.

9. Excellent student job

Former Employee - Audio Arts & Acoustics Department Private Tutor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Columbia College Chicago part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a tutor I got to build my work schedule around my class schedule. There was a lot of downtime, so I could work on homework or other school projects in a private, quiet room. Pay exceeded minimum wage. Once I got the tutor job I stayed there for two years without being replaced.

Cons

No real opportunities to move up as a student worker. I got promoted from teaching assistant to tutor because I was familiar with the faculty and did well in classes. No pay raises each year or anything like that.

10. Instructor

I worked at Columbia College Chicago part-time

Pros

Creative students and innovative faculty. Collaboration abounds.

Cons

Classroom support was not always readily available.

Very Disappointed

I have been working at Columbia College Chicago

Pros

I work with great people and we have some great benefits in the form of time off and holidays. Despite the fact that our post graduation employment rate is terribly low (see Cons), the new Provost seems to have the skills to turn the ship around as he pushes for more realistic and contemporary degrees that a graduate can take into real life. Unfortunately this is going to take years.

Cons

Pay is on the lower end of average, if average at all. A very top heavy, Reagan-esque administration, including a president who seems less interested in education than accruing his big salary and free mansion. I am convinced that he is mostly of a figurehead in the same vain as the British Monarchy. The Board of Directors suckling at $100+ per person receptions and dinners while lower supervisors treat their staff to pizza and soda out of their own pockets. The fat cats at the top are sucking the college dry by raking in the six figure salaries and making bad decisions while everyone else is forced to make cutbacks and absorb the work of outgoing employees without additional compensation or assistance. Post graduation employment rate is abysmally low becasuse we're offering too many degrees that are useless in real life.

Advice to Management

Get back to the roots of Columbia as an educational institution and show some compassion and encouragement for the people at the lower end of the employment ladder. The morale is at an all time low and one half Friday a month in June, July & August (a perk the administration conceded like tantrum tossing toddlers) isn't going to cut it.

RSS Feed </> Embed