Columbia College of Missouri

Columbia College of Missouri Reviews

Updated May 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

The people are great, schedule is flexible and non-traditional benefits are good.

Evaluator (Current Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsWorking here is nice because it feels like an extended family. There is ample opportunity for professional growth and there are celebrations for staff that include meals and recognition.

ConsThe health insurance benefits are expensive and coupled with the low range for salaries here, many workers are actually paid below the poverty line. Poor performance also seems to get rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease seek alternatives to health insurance costs and look into increasing salaries as much as possible. Thanks.

Interns Beware

Office Intern (Current Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsVery Convenient Parking - The maximum time needed to walk to work should not exceed 10 minutes.

The Campus dinning hall has good value. The community can even visits the dinning hall because of the great quality for its low cost for a meal.

Staff Events are very fun and helpful.

ConsLack of Diversity - I barely saw anyone who was not white working in offices across campus.

Interns are used rather than developed. Interns are seen as making lives easier instead of taking the challenge to develop their skills.

Very Hierarchical - Even if a lower ranking member may have an idea that is seen by the majority as valid, the decisions always come from the top down.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider looking for increase the diversity in your offices, especially in the higher level positions.

Verification Coordinator

Verification Coordinator (Current Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsThe benefits are great. Healthcare and gym privileges along with
    75-100% tuition coverage including day, evening, online and masters degrees!

ConsBecause this is higher education position, there is not a lot of money to go around for the hourly staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

More good than bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsGood benfits, Nice hours, 403B, some coworkers are amazing

ConsPay is the worse! Very clicky If you're not in the "popular crowd" you will never go anywhere. Mgmt plays favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistency, if you set rules for one person you must set them for everyone. You shouldnt change rules as it suits your needs for that moment.

School is way behind the times in view of marketing and sales

Campus Admission Manager (Former Employee) Murray, UT

ProsTheir accrediation, How they worked with Military, They were private and nonprofit

ConsBoard does not like change, they stay in the old methods, dont create new ideas dont embrace technology

Rewarding Environment

Admissions Assistant (Current Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsGreat coworkers, wonderful benefits, rewarding service

ConsTraditional and limited movement within work place.

Adjunct Pay treatment poor

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsUsed to be nice place to work

ConsLow pay, micromanage, loss of academic freedom

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat adjuncts with respect. Increase pay and stop micromanaging.

Decent Job Overall

ProsGood benefits and we are treated well. My department has flexible scheduling.

ConsThe pay sucks, I'm a college grad making less than many high school grads.

Friendly people, good work, great culture, and good pay.

(Current Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsHealth, dental and vision, 403b, competitive salaries (Columbia, MO)

Flexible schedule - Management is very flexible. You can begin work day as early as 7 am and end as late at 6 pm, giving you flexibility on arrival and end of work day. Some people even shift their schedules with different activities throughout the year. As long as you where you need to be on time (meetings etc.) your work gets done, and you work your 40 hours, they are very understading and reasonable.

Everyone is extremely friendly and the work environment is great. A good sign of this was the campus tour within the first several weeks of starting and new employee orientation for the quarter. The tour took all the new employees around the campus and explained what every department did, so that we would all be familiar with our new workplace. The employee orientation talked about benefits, the workplace, and all the department heads welcomed the new employees. Hard work is encouraged and praised. Accomplishments, both personal and department wide are consistently celebrated. There are lots of events throughout the year for mignling with faculty, staff and students and opportunities for professional development. Great speakers and conferences are happening all the time. There is also the opportunity to travel to other campuses, other departments or job related conferences every year in order to learn more about the college. Professional development on the job as well. I am always learning new skills and developing the ones I have further. I feel my ideas are being hear, and that my opinions matter.

There are great benefits here. Aside from insurance and retirement, there are great on campus benefits. Dulany hall is extremely affordable and offer a lot of variety of food and is right on campus. It's nice not having to leave, bring my lunch, or pay extremely high prices for food. The gym is available to all employees and 1 guest free of charge. All employees receive a pass to all athletic events for them and 3 guests, free of charge. The school spirit here is great.

ConsAlways professional dress (which isn't really a con). Denim Fridays are only available sometimes and only with a donation to a charity of $25. (I don't really think this is a con, since this means all faculty and staff look professional and we are helping a great cause)

Lack of Education within Management

ProsFlexible schedule
    Free tuition
    No clocking in or out

ConsManager makes up rules that are not set in the policy

Worked for Columbia College of Missouri? Contribute to the Community!