Columbia Distributing Company

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

2.2

Gregg Christiansen

Potential to move up quickly if that is route you want to go.

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Columbia Distributing Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

This job is great for people who want to be on their feet and stay pretty active. You can move up in the company really quickly if that is what you are looking for. If you dont have a college education this is one of the better paying low stress places to work, and you can take night and/or online college classes around your work schedule! The people are almost always nice, and we like to have fun while still making sure things are properly done.

Cons

Too much turn around because people realize it is way more physical than they originally thought and the sups dont interview people, they just hire from express. We are almost always short people and still expected to do the same amount of work which is absolutely exhausting. The company should be more willing to financially reward those who really do take pride in their work. The lack of communication runs rampant in this company, Most the time we dont know when we are losing or gaining a product until after the fact.

Pay attention to the people that actually stay with the company and put a lot of effort into making sure things are done correctly. Make sure all supervisors are relaying information to leads about new products or ones we are losing. The little guys are the ones that keep this company going.

Mismanaged company that does not care about employees or compensate well.

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Portland, OR

I have been working at Columbia Distributing Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good environment, meet nice people, get to travel around and not stay in the same place a long time.

Cons

Supervisors always send merchs to other teams and then are short staffed and have 10+ hours a day
    Pay is ridiculous. Start at 11/hr and you can't make more than 13/hr. Pepsi and coke both start at 15/hr. You do not get raises. Several people I work with were told they would get a raise after working 90 days, and didn't get the raise until after a year.
    Most team members are rude and talk badly about other merchandisers, even the lead merch and the supervisor.
    Management pays no attention to employees except to discipline them. They treat us as expendable and always fire the good workers and refuse to fire the ones who don't do their job.

Show appreciation for the hard work we do.
    Actually give rasies, or at least pay more to compete with other companies.
    Hire and fully TRAIN new hires and treat them good so they want to stay and have a reason to want to do a good job.

Pay is good as a driver…that is all.

Current Employee - Delivery Driver  in  Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Kent, WA

I have been working at Columbia Distributing Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only reason to work here is for a pay check, and benefits, nothing else. Don't expect any other pros.

Cons

this company doesn't care about its high turn over rate. If they could hold you at gun point and force you to work for free they would be more than happy too. Be ready to work 60 hours a week and be told its not good enough.

Don't walk around like your poo don't stink.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive work experience and a supportive company to get your career started. Active in the local community.

Former Employee - Merchandiser  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I worked at Columbia Distributing Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits if you see yourself there for the long term. Active work environment that takes care of their employees.Good work-life balance but opportunity for extra hours if you want.

Cons

Can be physically demanding and having to deal with customers that arent technically the company's. Promotional opportunities are limited but good training and guidance is provided if you care for it.

More company/district/division meetings - makes it easier to work for a company once you have actually seen management / HQ.

Hard work, good experience

Former Employee - Merchandiser  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Portland, OR

I worked at Columbia Distributing Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the pros include industry exposure, team environment, strong management and leadership. Hands on experience in the foundation of the company as a merchandiser.

Cons

Often early, long hours. Sometimes unclear on when and where you were supposed to be. Lack of communication regarding expectations with your particular route.

More recognition and support for those working hard

The continuation of an interesting journey.

I have been working at Columbia Distributing Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large, growing company. Well financed, well run organization.

Cons

Old software, behind the times where technology is concerned.

Upgrade and invest more in your employees ability to connect.

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Merchandiser  in  Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Salem, OR

I worked at Columbia Distributing Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some great coworkers on the team. Chance to work independently. It's a job.

Cons

Terrible management. They pay 11$/hr and regardless of the effort you put into your work, there is never a mention of raises (this wage is a smack in the face when Pepsi, Coke, and Southern pay considerably more and deal with way less product.) Micromanagement of hours as managers are paid incentives based on limitation of merchandiser's hours (as if it's not bad enough that they pay them terrible....) You use your own vehicle and prior to employment, are expected to raise your liability limits which raises your monthly payment, which of course, Columbia doesn't compensate you for. The daily routing seems unorganized (how does starting in Keizer then driving to Stayton seem efficient??) During the busy season, they would have me drive over to help someone, sometimes only to find they didn't even need help (thanks guys, it's only my gas money right??) During a snowstorm in my area, they expected me to risk my life and endanger myself to put soda on a shelf, talk about scummy. Did I mention that Pepsi had two paid days off through the snowstorm, again, Columbia doesn't care about you. I even remember a coworker who got in a car accident. The only concern Columbia had was could he finish his route, scummy!!!

I would recommend that management starts catering just a bit more to the guys that actually do the work. Columbia seems to praise the sales/driving team but crap on the merchandisers. The pay rate is disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it. This football player that bought out the company should remember where he came from, since he claims he came from the bottom. I guess he forgot all about the bottom...

great company

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Columbia Distributing Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

big company great people, great products

Cons

too much product and not enough man power

hire more merchandisers and train them

New hire

I have been working at Columbia Distributing Company

Pros

Friendly co - workers.. Cheap beverages, above average benefits. Free parking, good health benefits

Cons

Little or no training,then work is criticized for not being accuse.. Pay is way below industry standards..

Have a standardized training schedule for all new employees. Pay more and the turnover won't be so high

Tons of hours - very little money.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

- Work alone (if you like that sort of thing)
    - My management was good
    - It's a job?

Cons

- They salary you so you can be over-worked - 50+ hours per week
    - Say goodbye to your work/life balance during the week
    - Results are expected immediately with very little incentive to perform
    - Bonus $ structure is designed to be unreachable some months
    - They would replace you for a machine if they could

- A more reasonable work load would be nice.

Worked for Columbia Distributing Company? Contribute to the Community!