Columbia Distributing Company

www.coldist.com

Columbia Distributing Company Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Gregg Christiansen

Potential to move up quickly if that is route you want to go.

Merchandiser (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsThis job is great for people who want to be on their feet and stay pretty active. You can move up in the company really quickly if that is what you are looking for. If you dont have a college education this is one of the better paying low stress places to work, and you can take night and/or online college classes around your work schedule! The people are almost always nice, and we like to have fun while still making sure things are properly done.

ConsToo much turn around because people realize it is way more physical than they originally thought and the sups dont interview people, they just hire from express. We are almost always short people and still expected to do the same amount of work which is absolutely exhausting. The company should be more willing to financially reward those who really do take pride in their work. The lack of communication runs rampant in this company, Most the time we dont know when we are losing or gaining a product until after the fact.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the people that actually stay with the company and put a lot of effort into making sure things are done correctly. Make sure all supervisors are relaying information to leads about new products or ones we are losing. The little guys are the ones that keep this company going.

Positive work experience and a supportive company to get your career started. Active in the local community.

Merchandiser (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat benefits if you see yourself there for the long term. Active work environment that takes care of their employees.Good work-life balance but opportunity for extra hours if you want.

ConsCan be physically demanding and having to deal with customers that arent technically the company's. Promotional opportunities are limited but good training and guidance is provided if you care for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore company/district/division meetings - makes it easier to work for a company once you have actually seen management / HQ.

Hard work, good experience

Merchandiser (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsSome of the pros include industry exposure, team environment, strong management and leadership. Hands on experience in the foundation of the company as a merchandiser.

ConsOften early, long hours. Sometimes unclear on when and where you were supposed to be. Lack of communication regarding expectations with your particular route.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore recognition and support for those working hard

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The continuation of an interesting journey.

ProsLarge, growing company. Well financed, well run organization.

ConsOld software, behind the times where technology is concerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade and invest more in your employees ability to connect.

Terrible company to work for

Merchandiser (Former Employee) Salem, OR

ProsSome great coworkers on the team. Chance to work independently. It's a job.

ConsTerrible management. They pay 11$/hr and regardless of the effort you put into your work, there is never a mention of raises (this wage is a smack in the face when Pepsi, Coke, and Southern pay considerably more and deal with way less product.) Micromanagement of hours as managers are paid incentives based on limitation of merchandiser's hours (as if it's not bad enough that they pay them terrible....) You use your own vehicle and prior to employment, are expected to raise your liability limits which raises your monthly payment, which of course, Columbia doesn't compensate you for. The daily routing seems unorganized (how does starting in Keizer then driving to Stayton seem efficient??) During the busy season, they would have me drive over to help someone, sometimes only to find they didn't even need help (thanks guys, it's only my gas money right??) During a snowstorm in my area, they expected me to risk my life and endanger myself to put soda on a shelf, talk about scummy. Did I mention that Pepsi had two paid days off through the snowstorm, again, Columbia doesn't care about you. I even remember a coworker who got in a car accident. The only concern Columbia had was could he finish his route, scummy!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend that management starts catering just a bit more to the guys that actually do the work. Columbia seems to praise the sales/driving team but crap on the merchandisers. The pay rate is disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it. This football player that bought out the company should remember where he came from, since he claims he came from the bottom. I guess he forgot all about the bottom...

great company

Merchandiser (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosbig company great people, great products

Constoo much product and not enough man power

Advice to Senior Managementhire more merchandisers and train them

New hire

ProsFriendly co - workers.. Cheap beverages, above average benefits. Free parking, good health benefits

ConsLittle or no training,then work is criticized for not being accuse.. Pay is way below industry standards..

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a standardized training schedule for all new employees. Pay more and the turnover won't be so high

Tons of hours - very little money.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

Pros- Work alone (if you like that sort of thing)
    - My management was good
    - It's a job?

Cons- They salary you so you can be over-worked - 50+ hours per week
    - Say goodbye to your work/life balance during the week
    - Results are expected immediately with very little incentive to perform
    - Bonus $ structure is designed to be unreachable some months
    - They would replace you for a machine if they could

Advice to Senior Management- A more reasonable work load would be nice.

Columbia has grown too big. Managers and salesmen are consistently coerced to perform under duress of being terminated.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsThe salary and benefits are above average for the industry.

ConsThere is no regard for employees as human beings. They are put under constant threat of termination if sales aren't up...and when they are up, they try to crucify you for all the out of code beer that you were forced to jam into accounts to hit managements sales quotas. Absolutely no respect for anything you have done for them in the past....it's all about what have you done for me today.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Employee satisfaction going downhill fast, and management doesn't care.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Kent, WA

ProsIt is hard to find any pros about a company when they care enough about their employees.

ConsEverything! Prepare to have the worst job experience unless you are best friends or family of senior management. They do not care about your safety or well-being. Although they stress safety during meetings, it does not translate out into the field. You are forced to work beyond your safety limit and if you don't, prepare to be reprimanded. I got fired for asking for help and expressing my concerns to senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees! They are the lifeblood of your company and yet you treat them worse than dirt.

Worked for Columbia Distributing Company? Contribute to the Community!