Columbia Public School District

www.columbia.k12.mo.us

Columbia Public School District Reviews

3.7

Phyllis A Chase

CPS is a good place to work!

Current Employee - Support Staff in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Columbia Public School District

Pros

Good people, good purpose, good communications are all part of daily life at CPS. The benefits are very good as compared to other local employers.

Cons

Public scrutiny of course since we are educating kids and are funded by local taxes makes everything we do judged and rejudged.

It can be a physically and emotionally challenging environment to work in.

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Columbia Public School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good supportive co-workers.Good health benefits. Finish at 2.30.

Cons

Not mentally stimulating enough for me. Start at 7.00am. Physically challenging and tiring. sometimes feel like a 'glorified' babysitter. Low hourly rate and not paid when kids not in school. Financially restricting only being paid for 9 months to cover 12 months expenses.

Too much counter productive testing.

Columbia Public Schools seeks to provide a high quality education to a wide range of students.

Current Employee - Teacher in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Columbia Public School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Columbia Public Schools has a rich history of being cutting-edge in setting high standards of education for all of its students and for providing support for classroom professionals to constantly improve their knowledge-base and professional development. Recent tight years of the economy have eroded support for classroom teachers as well as competitive salaries. The potential for greatness is still present but a lot of work needs to be done to restore CPS to its former position as among the top-ranked academic districts in the state.

Cons

Currently teaching conditions are very difficult with large class sizes and little additional support.

As with any public school district, Average at best.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Columbia Public School District

Pros

Good benefits for all full-time employees.

Cons

The working environment would be excellent if it weren't for the drastic changes in the quality of kids, and the way that ushers in "political correctness" that strangles the district from making any substantive changes.

Leave your politics at home, and let's be realistic when it comes to policy changes. The current direction you are going is not making things any better, only worse.

Teacher

I worked at Columbia Public School District

Pros

Effective leadership from cebntral office.

Cons

Pressure from parents and community.

Good work.

Positive place to help achieve education goals.

I worked at Columbia Public School District

Pros

The teachers have the students as their priority. The administration supports teachers to a level that is beyond expected, in most cases.

Cons

I had an administrator that didn't give a lot of support-even though it was promised since I was his only first year teacher. He had too much of a "good ole boy" mentality that made me want to not work with him.

There are some administrators that need to get out of the "good ole boy" mentality. Women have become educated and can do just as much as the next guy.