Columbia Sportswear

Updated August 17, 2014

3.2

Columbia Sportswear President, CEO, and Director Tim Boyle
Tim Boyle

Pros
  • Many easy jobs (outside of design) with a healthy work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• you get to creat a friends and family list that get your disount also (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting a response from upper management is a rare occurrence (in 5 reviews)

• Work/life balance philosophy also was not well balanced (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

My job at Columbia was awesome. I loved every minute of it. It was my dream job!

Former Employee - Field Visual Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Field Visual Merchandiser

Pros

Great culture
    I had a wonderful team that I worked with
    Managers are very supportive

Cons

I worked from home and there was always work to do. I had to make an effort not to turn on my computer to check emails on the weekend.

Interesting opportunity in new growing company.

Pros

Personal growth opportunity, Company has solid values and overall treats employees well but, some aspects are very gray.

Cons

Company outlook is outdated. Very behind in many areas. Lack of growth in product lines and anticipating sales.

Better communication regarding financial changes in advance.

Okay place, needs work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Park City, UT

Pros

Good peer co-workers and direct supervision from the sales floor team. Awesome discount, and you're able to share it with friends and family, including family out of state. Good product and innovation. Was great always seeing new product.

Cons

Not a very welcoming atmosphere when certain employees are in the store. Always seemed I was doing something wrong when I was doing what I was told to do, or helping someone that asked for help outside of my zoned area.

Stop playing favorites. You can see who the favorite employees are based on who gets in trouble and who get's a free pass on everything. Treat people with respect, I felt like I was talked down to and given the run around when I needed help.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retail environment was no fun...

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Most employees had good attitudes and were fun to be around.

Cons

Poor management, along with several minor annoyances: strict 15 minute breaks that include the time it takes to get to the break room, getting bags/purses checked each time exiting the store, allotment of 1 pair of pants and 2 shirts to wear during shifts (even when working 32 hrs a week), wearing uncomfortable Columbia footwear while standing for 6-8 hr periods

Do not chastise employees in front of customers, do not force employees to constantly chit chat with customers (sometimes they want to be left alone), consider offering bus passes to employees

Great Place to work good benefit

Former Employee - SAP Security Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - SAP Security Analyst in Portland, OR

Pros

Not in California Rain too much

Cons

Friendly environment good employee discount

Most calming job I have had

Former Employee - Stock Associate  in  Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Livermore, CA

Pros

Very friendly and upbeat coworkers. Worked around my schedule for the most part.

Cons

It seems you get more hours based off of performance but I was a stock associate in the backroom for the majority of the time so what I'm saying is I wasn't on the sales floor like most of the other people that worked there so how could I be judged on performance when I'm alone 95% of the time? I got over 30 hours a week during the holidays but after that was lucky to get 15 hours until I eventually resigned in May. I think I just got snuffed. Oh well.

Main manager was a bit impatient and unreasonable lots of times. The 3 assistant managers were good for the most part.

Columbia

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Johnson Creek, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Johnson Creek, WI

Pros

Great co-workers here, good managers, especially the swing and freight supervisors. Customers usually are in a great mood coming in. Store layout is great and only switch things when need be and do not overdo it.
    Culture and pay are on par with the rest of the area around Johnson Creek.
    Great discount for employees, family and friends of such employees.

Cons

I'd say the turnover is a bit surprising right now having worked there. Some of it is for a reason like going to a different city but others are more surprising but regardless those positions should be filled.
    I'd say help out the managers with a 401k or something and give the sales associates some sort of benefit plan like health care (even if it is minimal)

I think if they focus on what makes them as them, that is really good. Also bring in more of the other styles like Montrail, Mountain Hardwear, prAna, and such into the outlet stores. Customers really want them and it is a huge seller. Upgrade customer support as that is a frequent thing customers bring up. Also the 10 percent off for signing up as a rewards member was an enormous hit with customers, so I'd suggest bringing that back as well.

Miserable and exhausting - DO NOT WORK HERE!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Palmetto, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palmetto, FL

Pros

Some of the employees are nice, you don't have to stay too late at night, traffic is usually slow-decent

Cons

NEVER FOLLOW AVAILABILITY, TERRIBLE managers always spread rumors & very fake, LONG HOURS, try to cheat you out of breaks, not professional at all, if they were caught doing some things they do they would be fined a LOT of money.

They need to GROW up and stop acting like children. Learn to be a LEADER and say things to employee's face rather than talk about their weaknesses behind their back. Lacked guidance and professionalism. Stick to availability, learn to respect the staff. The management is what makes this store so terrible & is the cause of MANY people leaving. Since I have started working there (less than a year ago) there have been over three managers and 10+ people who have left because of the terrible management.

Not Worth It

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

It's great to work for a company that seems to be well liked.

Cons

At one time, this was a great place to work. Columbia has been ruined by layoffs.

The company decided to stop hiring and lay off a lot of people in an attempt at to cut costs and show a profit during a down economy. The workload never decreased so HR spread the job duties around instead of replacing anyone. We were all over worked and getting burned out to begin with and over the past several years, it has gotten progressively worse. Now that the economy is turning around and there are better paying jobs in the market, Columbia is steadily losing employees. When management is finally allowed to hire someone, candidates are turning down the job offer because HR is offering far below industry standards for compensation. It's like Columbia thinks the privilege of working there is compensation enough.

If you are career minded, expect to be fairly compensated and need work/life balance, this is not the company to work for.

Great Companie to work for

Pros

Products, techologies, channel of distribution, customers, they follow the direction they choose.
    I do feel confident to repeat what I heard as project to my customer as they are not changing directions all the time.

Cons

We work really hard and it is not COLUMBIA requirements but we are having so much opportununity to go get and as you enjoy your work, sometimes it is hard to say no and tink of yourself.

Worked for Columbia Sportswear? Contribute to the Community!