Columbia Sportswear

Be The First To
Add Photos

Columbia Sportswear President, CEO, and Director Tim Boyle

Tim Boyle

Pros
  • Many easy jobs (outside of design) with a healthy work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• you get to creat a friends and family list that get your disount also(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting a response from upper management is a rare occurrence(in 5 reviews)

• Work/life balance philosophy also was not well balanced(in 3 reviews)

Great Place to work good benefit

SAP Security Analyst (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsNot in California Rain too much

ConsFriendly environment good employee discount

Most calming job I have had

Stock Associate (Former Employee) Livermore, CA

ProsVery friendly and upbeat coworkers. Worked around my schedule for the most part.

ConsIt seems you get more hours based off of performance but I was a stock associate in the backroom for the majority of the time so what I'm saying is I wasn't on the sales floor like most of the other people that worked there so how could I be judged on performance when I'm alone 95% of the time? I got over 30 hours a week during the holidays but after that was lucky to get 15 hours until I eventually resigned in May. I think I just got snuffed. Oh well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMain manager was a bit impatient and unreasonable lots of times. The 3 assistant managers were good for the most part.

Columbia

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Johnson Creek, WI

ProsGreat co-workers here, good managers, especially the swing and freight supervisors. Customers usually are in a great mood coming in. Store layout is great and only switch things when need be and do not overdo it.
    Culture and pay are on par with the rest of the area around Johnson Creek.
    Great discount for employees, family and friends of such employees.

ConsI'd say the turnover is a bit surprising right now having worked there. Some of it is for a reason like going to a different city but others are more surprising but regardless those positions should be filled.
    I'd say help out the managers with a 401k or something and give the sales associates some sort of benefit plan like health care (even if it is minimal)

Advice to Senior ManagementI think if they focus on what makes them as them, that is really good. Also bring in more of the other styles like Montrail, Mountain Hardwear, prAna, and such into the outlet stores. Customers really want them and it is a huge seller. Upgrade customer support as that is a frequent thing customers bring up. Also the 10 percent off for signing up as a rewards member was an enormous hit with customers, so I'd suggest bringing that back as well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Companie to work for

ProsProducts, techologies, channel of distribution, customers, they follow the direction they choose.
    I do feel confident to repeat what I heard as project to my customer as they are not changing directions all the time.

ConsWe work really hard and it is not COLUMBIA requirements but we are having so much opportununity to go get and as you enjoy your work, sometimes it is hard to say no and tink of yourself.

They'll sell you on culture and then never deliver.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe employee store and ability to extend employee discounts to friends and family.

ConsPoor leadership at the top creates an environment of political games that are neither productive or rewarding. If you decide to take advantage of things like volleyball rather than working 18 hour days your career will suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage the Senior Executives to drive toward a cohesive vision rather than each chasing their favorite shiny object, otherwise you'll always be in the bottom quartile.

Good Employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked as a worker in their distribution center as a summer job while I was in college. There wasn't much to my job as far as perks and such go, since I wasn't there for very long.

ConsDefinately room to grow if you are qualified. Many jobs were filled internally when I was there, so I think that if you are what they are looking for you have a good shot.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training from management would be nice, more involvement in employee growth, and more communication could go a long way for you.

Mixed feelings

ProsFexible hours and great co-workers

ConsNo job security and unclear future direction

Okay place to work for. I wish some things were different within the management setting.

Stock Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsThe company offers great time-off policies. Great medical insurance plan. Flexible schedules.

ConsThe company did not have an organized set of goals that the store could accomplish for each quarter. Many of the employees who worked for this company were not given compensations for their hard earned work. Very low trust employees and the culture of the organization. Work/life balance philosophy also was not well balanced.

Advice to Senior ManagementReadjusting company values. Creating better training sessions for all employees. Better bonuses for company meeting store goals. Management needs come off as more friendly with their employees. A little recognition goes a long way. Without staff members, the company loses its value. A little attention to detail goes a long way.

Good sized company for getting exposure to other areas of the org.

Planning (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsCasual culture, but still work hard. Lots of great coworkers. Some travel opportunities. Good sized company for getting exposure to lots of areas of the business. Fun environment (events/ activities). Good benefits and bonuses. Volunteering and community connectedness are encouraged.

ConsResources (people and monetary) tend be limited, especially amidst the current ERP implementation. Suspect that pay is not competitive with similar positions at other companies. See good talent going elsewhere for opportunities and significantly more pay. Still struggling to behave as a large company instead of the small family-owned business that it used to be. Some upper management have their hands too deep in the details and can derail work unnecessarily.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the talent that is there so people don't feel like they have to leave the company to make what they deserve. Recognize the importance of supporting the business with resources while still supporting the ERP implementation. Let the people you hired to do the work and make decisions actually do the work and make decisions and support them in their efforts.

Great Company!

Public Relations Specialist (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsWorked in the PR/Marketing department as a contract employee for six months. LOVED it! Great people, lot of fun. They enjoy their work and they know how to inspire their employees! Plenty of training opportunities. great office culture. Lots of team building activities that you actually want to participate in

ConsNothing really. Plenty of training opportunities. great office culture. Lots of team building activities that you actually want to participate in. Awesome opportunity!

Advice to Senior ManagementJust listen to the employees, they will keep things moving :-)

Worked for Columbia Sportswear? Contribute to the Community!