Columbia Sportswear Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Store Manger

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear

Pros

Company values the employees . I have been in retail over 25 years this is by far the best company out there. District Managers are real they listen and speak up for you. This company cares and listens to their people. You are not a number but you actually have a name and they know it and care about you!!! If you love retail join the top company out there!!

Cons

Having to follow mall hours. When your business is not always there. Being able to offer more Full time advancement. This Company has great growth coming and it is very well deserved

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. You have awesome products and the best group of people to work with. Very proud to be a Columbia manager . Anyone that's loves retail but not sure on their company jump on our ensembles and you will never regret you did!!!

2. Stock Associate

Current Employee - Stock Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear

Pros

The discount is a great perk, once a year we get 50% off store wide, and also ballistics is awesome!

Cons

Only bad thing I have to say is the hours getting cut during the slow seasons spring/summer

Advice to Management

There needs to be better communication throughout management, I have issues with telling one person one thing and it doesn't get around to the next manager when I mention something to them.

3. Great company, mediocre management

I worked at Columbia Sportswear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Passionate people who care about the brand. Everyone is friendly and the employee discount is great. It's a great time to be a part of the company as there are opportunities to shine.

Cons

Mediocre management that makes questionable hiring decisions and even more questionable business decisions. My experience was tarnished by having a manager who wasn't supportive of career advancement out of fear for their own job

Advice to Management

Promote and hire people based on merit, not based on how much you like them. Value talent over politics and make sure people are adequately trained for their role so they can perform to expectation

Bittersweet

Former Employee - Freight
    Former Employee - Freight

I worked at Columbia Sportswear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, Employee Discount, great coworkers, it had a great family vibe. Pay wasn't too bad. Could lead to better opportunities if trained properly.

Cons

GM at store was freshly put in place. Did not know how to talk to people or give them a good action plan on areas to improve. Rushed fast into yelling at associates on floor including his fellow managers. He didn't know how to manage, his idea of managing was to micromanage. Got fired after only one write up even with the write up was not given a plan to improve in my areas of "weakness".

Advice to Management

When you promote from within, make sure that who you selects knows how to manage. People can be great in interviews but failed as leaders after getting the jobs. Store has been unhappy for awhile, turnover has been high and that should say a lot. Overall I loved working here until the new GM came into this location. His young and wanting to make a name for himself but treating people like garbage and micro managing only gives you a name and it's not a very positive one.

6. Great leadership and training

Former Employee - sales manager apparel France in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - sales manager apparel France in Allen, TX

I worked at Columbia Sportswear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers care about more than how their employees are doing in store.

Cons

None. Management does well in training you with everything you need to know.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

7. All team positions are cross trained of floor sales/cashier/stock: schedule flexibility helps advancement.Relaxed paced.

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to learn merchandising, product technology, selling clothes, jackets, and shoes, to outdoorsmen, mall tourists, and families. Awesome discounts, with friends and family list too.

Cons

Too many customers in your zone to handle while cleaning up their mess. People try on too much not knowing their true size.

Advice to Management

customer service is people friendly and knowledgeable, but some team members slack off talking personal too much. Keep up the sales training of customer service skills.

8. My experience at this company was bitter sweet.

I worked at Columbia Sportswear

Pros

The best reason to work here hands down would be the staff.

Cons

The manager that was there when I was working was very uptight and always on your back even when you were doing what you were suppose to do.

9. Great Part Time Employment: Great Community

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sellwood, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sellwood, OR

I worked at Columbia Sportswear

Pros

A great place to work full of customers and coworkers passionate about outdoor adventure and gear.

Cons

Customers are consistently difficult to deal with and some merchandise is of less than top notch quality.

Advice to Management

Make certain policies especially return and warranty information easier to access to customers and employees.

10. Store

I worked at Columbia Sportswear part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot about outerwear, and their uses in the outdoors. They do offer fair benefits, and wages

Cons

They care more about the sales than their employees.T

Advice to Management

Please look and listen to all your employees, not just ones who talk the loudest.

11. Horriable management very rude however I did like the other associate s

Former Employee - Sales in Ellenton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Ellenton, FL

I worked at Columbia Sportswear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friends family discounts , nice co workers nothing else really for the pros

Cons

Horriable management , crappy hours crappy pay confusing , pushy, dramA

RSS Feed </> Embed