Columbia Ultimate

Add Photos

R. Fred Houston

Family Oriented Company that underpays employees and overpays executives

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsVery Good company to work for in regards to family life. I am able to take time off when needed or work from home.

ConsThey hire executives that are not needed and pay them 6 figures a year while understaffing other parts of the company. They pay regular employees in comparison to what people got paid in the 1990's.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiring senor management when they aren't needed. Pay employees what they are worth and quit under staffing.

Great co-workers, but company is a bit rocky.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsThe company is full of great people that are enjoyable to work with. The products are pretty good.

ConsPractically everyone, except higher-ups, is underpaid. The only way to get a raise is to apply for another position within the company, but there aren't any openings right now. Support positions are very stressful and don't pay well enough for what is expected. The most frustrating thing is the lack of loyalty to employees. People who have been with the company for decades are let go with no warning in increasing frequency.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are lots of employees that have shown years of dedication and loyalty; show a little loyalty in return.

Strong front-line employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsFriendly environment. Great products. Loyal clients. The company has a vast array of strong relationships that are needed for a strong and thriving business.

ConsThere is a sad and unnecessary disconnect between the C-level and the rest of the company. There is zero visibility to company results and it is hard to know what direction we are going.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe communication challenges are not between the associates, it's from you to the associates. Provide real vision and direction. If you see a positive future, communicate more than once every 6 months or just after a round of layoffs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company that is currently having a challenging time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture in regard to quality of employees and being very dedicated to doing great work. Very good work/life balance and understanding of needing to take time off for personal items. Very accommodating when needing to work remote (depending on the position) and a great IS staff.

ConsA pay freeze has been in place for many years, which has caused some very good people to move onto other opportunities. It's been difficult to watch some upper-management positions being filled with people getting large salaries that seemed to have questionable alignment to the company's core values. I know many current employees wonder if they are there for the betterment of Columbia Ultimate or themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the current employees feel there isn't quality leadership in place.

Stable non-progressive

ProsStable non-progressive environment.

ConsStable non-progressive environment. Not a lot of upward mobility; not a lot of coaching. High turnover. Layoffs within the ranks, never for sr. management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the youth; they have ideas and talent.

Okay place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery accommodating with work/life balance

ConsPresident needs to step down; makes bad decisions and is hard to work with.

Inconsistent upper management

Developer (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsFamily oriented, great lower management

ConsInconsistent messages and actions from upper management, the company seems to be floundering and trying to find a new direction and new motivation

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to gain the trust of your employees

Great People, Great Lower Management, Not So Great Upper Management/Executives

Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsCU has a great friendly atmosphere most of the time. The workers are great, and it can be a fun place to work.

ConsThere is some office politics, and a few people who make things tough for the rest of us. Mixed signals coming from execs make it hard to know the direction of the company. Recent layoffs have left a feeling of uneasiness and uncertainty. The normal typical office sounds are somewhat hushed now.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower management is doing great. Keep up the good work. I felt that when it came to making the really big decisions about company direction, that the views and advice of employees was rarely considered, or given appropriate weight.

I enjoyed my time working with quality people in a fun and professional environment.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Vancouver, WA

ProsColumbia Ultimate is all about family and customer service. We take care of our clients and we take care of each other. The products are good and the customer base is strong. You'll never work for better managers who are flexible and understand your needs.

ConsThe base product is built upon old computer technology and development of new products on current technology is slow going. Salary and benefits are not bad but they compare to other similar available jobs in the market as on the low end.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would reccommend an infusion of some new managers with an outside business perspective to compliment those who know the business from many years of experience.

Great family-oriented company

ProsThere is a real effort to care for employees and to provide for work-life balance.
    Awesome software. It has been successful for a long time, which may feel like a liability due to age, but it is powerful software and is helping a lot of clients become very successful.
    The owner is a man of integrity who works diligently always to do the right thing.

ConsIt can be difficult to see where we are trying to go as a company.
    We could work on our skills at "resolving" weak-performer issues

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more and more often. When you do not communicate it looks to all the world like you are trying hard to keep secrets. It can be hard to follow if you don't tell us where we are headed. The recent add of the weekly communication from the CEO is a fabulous start.

Worked for Columbia Ultimate? Contribute to the Community!