Columbia Ultimate

Updated August 15, 2014

R. Fred Houston

Family Oriented Company that underpays employees and overpays executives

I have been working at Columbia Ultimate full-time

Pros

Very Good company to work for in regards to family life. I am able to take time off when needed or work from home.

Cons

They hire executives that are not needed and pay them 6 figures a year while understaffing other parts of the company. They pay regular employees in comparison to what people got paid in the 1990's.

Quit hiring senor management when they aren't needed. Pay employees what they are worth and quit under staffing.

Lacking in executive leadership

I worked at Columbia Ultimate

Pros

Very dedicated front line employees. Willing to stick with the company through some very difficult times. Dedicated, loyal client base. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Lack of executive direction. Pay freeze for last 7-8 years, no tuition reimbursement program. Carry some executive positions that are giving bad direction for the company. Don't have the same core values that the company was built upon.

Focus. Sign off on a business plan and stick with it. Clearly communicate that plan and the results with the employees. Be loyal to those who are loyal to you. This was a great company, it could be again.

Strong front-line employees

I have been working at Columbia Ultimate full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly environment. Great products. Loyal clients. The company has a vast array of strong relationships that are needed for a strong and thriving business.

Cons

There is a sad and unnecessary disconnect between the C-level and the rest of the company. There is zero visibility to company results and it is hard to know what direction we are going.

The communication challenges are not between the associates, it's from you to the associates. Provide real vision and direction. If you see a positive future, communicate more than once every 6 months or just after a round of layoffs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great co-workers, but company is a bit rocky.

I have been working at Columbia Ultimate full-time

Pros

The company is full of great people that are enjoyable to work with. The products are pretty good.

Cons

Practically everyone, except higher-ups, is underpaid. The only way to get a raise is to apply for another position within the company, but there aren't any openings right now. Support positions are very stressful and don't pay well enough for what is expected. The most frustrating thing is the lack of loyalty to employees. People who have been with the company for decades are let go with no warning in increasing frequency.

There are lots of employees that have shown years of dedication and loyalty; show a little loyalty in return.

Good company that is currently having a challenging time

I worked at Columbia Ultimate full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture in regard to quality of employees and being very dedicated to doing great work. Very good work/life balance and understanding of needing to take time off for personal items. Very accommodating when needing to work remote (depending on the position) and a great IS staff.

Cons

A pay freeze has been in place for many years, which has caused some very good people to move onto other opportunities. It's been difficult to watch some upper-management positions being filled with people getting large salaries that seemed to have questionable alignment to the company's core values. I know many current employees wonder if they are there for the betterment of Columbia Ultimate or themselves.

Don't let the current employees feel there isn't quality leadership in place.

Stable non-progressive

I worked at Columbia Ultimate full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable non-progressive environment.

Cons

Stable non-progressive environment. Not a lot of upward mobility; not a lot of coaching. High turnover. Layoffs within the ranks, never for sr. management.

Listen to the youth; they have ideas and talent.

Okay place to work

I worked at Columbia Ultimate

Pros

Very accommodating with work/life balance

Cons

President needs to step down; makes bad decisions and is hard to work with.

Inconsistent upper management

Former Employee - Developer  in  Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Developer in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Columbia Ultimate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family oriented, great lower management

Cons

Inconsistent messages and actions from upper management, the company seems to be floundering and trying to find a new direction and new motivation

Work harder to gain the trust of your employees

Great People, Great Lower Management, Not So Great Upper Management/Executives

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst  in  Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Columbia Ultimate

Pros

CU has a great friendly atmosphere most of the time. The workers are great, and it can be a fun place to work.

Cons

There is some office politics, and a few people who make things tough for the rest of us. Mixed signals coming from execs make it hard to know the direction of the company. Recent layoffs have left a feeling of uneasiness and uncertainty. The normal typical office sounds are somewhat hushed now.

Lower management is doing great. Keep up the good work. I felt that when it came to making the really big decisions about company direction, that the views and advice of employees was rarely considered, or given appropriate weight.

I enjoyed my time working with quality people in a fun and professional environment.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Columbia Ultimate

Pros

Columbia Ultimate is all about family and customer service. We take care of our clients and we take care of each other. The products are good and the customer base is strong. You'll never work for better managers who are flexible and understand your needs.

Cons

The base product is built upon old computer technology and development of new products on current technology is slow going. Salary and benefits are not bad but they compare to other similar available jobs in the market as on the low end.

I would reccommend an infusion of some new managers with an outside business perspective to compliment those who know the business from many years of experience.

Worked for Columbia Ultimate? Contribute to the Community!