Columbia University

Columbia University Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Columbia University President and Trustee Lee C. Bollinger

Lee C. Bollinger

Pros
  • Dynamic work environment, access to campus libraries, great work-life balance(in 27 reviews)

• access to the best academic professionals in New York City(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • salaries are generally really low for New York City standards(in 12 reviews)

• The salary could be considerably better, especially considering the cost of living in New York City(in 10 reviews)

344 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Program Officer, On Campus Recruiting

Program Coordinator, On Campus Recruiting (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery flexible and supportive work environment, plenty of room to grow and develop, and free tuition as a full time employee after two years of service!

ConsSalary is standard for higher ed; even with a promotion the salary grades do not raise significantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould do with better training of new employees.

Good work environment, great benefits, salary not too good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits - including over 4 weeks of paid vacation. Unlimited sick days too.
    Good friendly people, a nice environment to work at. Campus is amazing - lots of trees and greenery. Get to work with some very smart people.

ConsSalaries are low compared to the real world - also somewhat low when compared to other peer institutions. There is a decent bit of bureaucratic red tape here as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake salaries more competitive.

Great colleagues and intellectually engaging work environment at university

Administrative Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou are surrounded by smart people and ideas. You can be involved in pushing the educational envelope. In some departments there is a very collaborative feel. Often, there are opportunities to start new programs and be entrepreneurial. There are many opportunities to work with ideas and educational content.

ConsThings move much more slowly than in the private sector. There is a big emphasis on consensus that sometimes slows things down. Some faculty do not seem to respect colleagues in administration. Resources are limited but it just means you have to be creative in managing your work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unclear strategy, lots of egos, poor communication with administrative staff

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTuition benefits for staff and dependents. Located in a city with a lot to do. Lots of diversity below the senior management level.

ConsLack of communication with staff. Unclear strategic direction. Lack of collaboration and collegiality within the central administrative staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with management and staff. Recognize the efforts of staff rather than constantly threaten with outsourcing and restructure.

Systems Analyst

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEstablished institution with growth. I feel like I can learn a lot from my peers. They encourage additional opportunities for learning. If you do not plan to stay very long, having Columbia University on your resume still looks great.

ConsAdministration is very corporate in its approach to school business, perhaps because this is a private institution. Difficult to separate work from personal time. Elitist attitude by some staff and faculty, but particularly students. Salary is average and raises seem rare since new construction is in progress.

Lots of bureaucracy, but fine with the right team.

Graduate Student/Research Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe university is quite large, so your experience will depend on your team. I have found many wonderful people there.

ConsThe bureaucracy is atrocious. Most people who work there are dissatisfied because of it. Every department is out for themselves because they have to compete for funds. It's all about the money here.

Undergrad Research Assistant

Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLots of flexibility in hours and projects.

ConsHard to fit time with academics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open-minded to student's other academic needs.

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat experience with intensive schedule. Interesting to work with the professor and my colleagues

ConsNot challenging enough to fully leverage the skills. Overall, good way to spend leisure summer time.

Great undergraduate research experience

Research Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking with esteemed faculty. The professors I got to work with were very smart and supportive. They helped me decide if I wanted to go to grad school.

ConsMenial work. I had to do some tasks that involved making a lot phone calls and doing surveys. I would do this for hours, and that part was not very challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

So far, so good after 5 months.

Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery relaxed atmosphere, many human and humane interactions.

ConsElitism, not sure if I have any upward mobility opportunities, a bit unprofessional at times.

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!