Columbia University

Columbia University Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Columbia University President and Trustee Lee C. Bollinger

Lee C. Bollinger

Pros
  • Dynamic work environment, access to campus libraries, great work-life balance(in 27 reviews)

• access to the best academic professionals in New York City(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • salaries are generally really low for New York City standards(in 12 reviews)

• The salary could be considerably better, especially considering the cost of living in New York City(in 10 reviews)

TA-ing is a great opportunity to make money and gain experience while finishing your degree

Curriculum and Grading Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat opportunity to make money and gain experience while finishing your degree

ConsSome classes have much more work to grade and support than others but all are paid the same

Distinguished community of highly educated professionals

ProsNetworking amongst the healthcare sector, especially in Medicine and Dentistry, is encouraged within the community, great way to expand connections and build rapport among colleagues.

ConsCost of continuing education remains very high and increases yearly.

Good place to work!

ProsNice environment, good colleagues, good benefits.

ConsSalary could be a little higher...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great perks, but low level workers can be abused

Administ (Former Employee)

ProsThe best part is the tuition reimbursement and the generally accommodating atmosphere when it comes to days off and workload.

ConsThe pay isn't wonderful and as a lower level employee my boss was constantly trying to get me to do more of her work. Since most people who you encounter on a daily basis are academics and don't know what's going on on the administrative side, it can get frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch out for managers who are abusing their workers. From what I can tell is happens a lot and eventually creates workers who are not willing to do anything outside of their job responsibilities. Keep the tuition reimbursement perk, its the only reason I stayed there.

It depends on who you works for and what you do

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGetting exposure to research areas new to me when doing work as required by the professor.

ConsThe professor I worked for tried not to pay me until I sent her the email in which she clearly said she would enroll me in the payroll after weeks of argument. But this is the only case that I ever heard of.

Working at Columbia University Medical Center, I had a positive experience enjoyed working with doctors and patients.

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI was able to grow. I was able to move up and enjoyed a living wage.

ConsThere's always a new assignment. Everyday brought on new and never knew what was next.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the effects of changing things around before actually doing them.

Great experience

Data Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt was a great experience. Friendly people and willing to help. Learned a lot during my time there and am a fan of the w

ConsIt was a great experience. Friendly people and willing to help. Learned a lot during my time there and am a fan of the w

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was a great experience. Friendly people and willing to help. Learned a lot during my time there and am a fan of the w

Really awesome physics department

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsI work here as a Ph.D. student----research assistant. We have very talented professors here and smart peer students. The high energy theory group---- ISCAP, has people working on interesting topics such as string theory, field theory and cosmology. It is a very active group, and the atmosphere is relaxing.

ConsYou need to be rather independent: you'd better be comfortable with working independently and generate ideas independently, in the short run that could be painful, but in the long run it pays off.

Don't let the prestige deceive you.

ProsThe benefits are incredible. Summers are nice and quiet.

ConsThe compensation is quite low range, and there is not much room for professional growth.

Great place to start a career

ProsGreat Benefits; plenty of time off. Good work/life balance.

ConsLow salary; too many politics, all about you who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your hardworking employees and compensate or offer bonus incentives for the exceptional work

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!