Columbia University Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.8

Columbia University President and Trustee Lee C. Bollinger
Lee C. Bollinger

Pros
  • Dynamic work environment, access to campus libraries, great work-life balance (in 27 reviews)

• access to the best academic professionals in New York City (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • salaries are generally really low for New York City standards (in 12 reviews)

• The salary could be considerably better, especially considering the cost of living in New York City (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Columbia is great, the school I work at is not

I have been working at Columbia University full-time

Pros

Great intellectual atmosphere, you can be exposed to amazing things and learn new things every day if you want to. The benefits and paid time off are excellent!

Cons

The school I work at has a very challenging culture making for a very difficult work environment.

Having a culture that supports and encourages employees is always a great thing.

graduate student

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Columbia University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

really like my PI, great place to work, fun place to live, student housing is nice and affordable.

Cons

work-life balance can be off depending on what group you are in

Great university to work for

Former Employee - Lab Tech  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very laid back, not too demanding. Always easy to manage one's time because things to do sort of just came as you went. There are always new techs coming in, so I wasn't the only new person there when I first came in.

Cons

Not much room for growth. Stagnant job. Decent monetary compensation, but not that many perks or benefits. Columbia-Presbyterian is involved in talks with unions, and future seems uncertain.

n/a

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Computer Science Research Intern

Former Employee - Research Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

got to work on interesting research problems, very flexible, community was welcoming, pay was good

Cons

I was working by myself and not in a team

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Writer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Writer in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment, opportunities for career growth, excellent colleagues, interesting and meaningful work. Very good work/life balance, and a beautiful campus! I was able to take courses that improved my personal and professional life.

Cons

I did not experience any challenges at all while working at Columbia. It was an ideal place filled with interesting and intelligent people. It was an honor and privilege to work for this institution.

Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I learned a lot teaching introductory and advanced labs at Columbia. It was kinda fun!

Cons

They don't pay you to TA. I was on a fellowship, but my department still required a bunch of TA credits.

Great Work Place

Current Employee - MAINTENANCE/PORTER  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - MAINTENANCE/PORTER in New York, NY

I have been working at Columbia University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy how we work as a team to correct problems as they pop up. Plus, discuss new ideas that improve work efficiency and minimized work load or time.

Cons

The workers (employee) did communicate with each other to improve efficiency and perform to their highest standard but management never had any time to meet and listen to our ideas and concerns. The lock of communications and the preferential treatment toward one employee is an issue that bothers many of us but we kept listen because we fear management or those special employee with influence or preferential access to management.

Take time to schedule and meet with employee in private and ask then their opinion or what else they need to improve work efficiency and shorten time of respond. Stop 100% the preferential treatment toward some employee and give each employee the same support, opportunity and value their efforts too!

Intern

I have been working at Columbia University

Pros

Professors very helpful in giving advice...my position was research based. They have industry connections

Cons

the culture was amazing but my lab was too academic based and I needed more industry exposure

great place for research

I have been working at Columbia University

Pros

a lot of cutting-edge research

Cons

living expenses is very high

Great entry level experience

I worked at Columbia University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful benefits - vacation, class tuition rebate, access to libraries and campus. Great variety of people.

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy; unnecessary paperwork + procedures for simple things; low compensation.

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!