Columbus McKinnon

2.0

Columbus McKinnon President, CEO, and Director Tim Tevens
Tim Tevens

Too many Directors, no direction

I worked at Columbus McKinnon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Money and benefits are good. Location and facility is convenient and well maintained. Technology is good and improving. Good people to work with that care about the company.

Cons

Too many directors with big egos that treat middle management poorly and in a disrespectful manner. Company direction changes often. Poor implementation planning for plant divestitures and or acquisitions. Long hours

Treat your employees with the respect they deserve. Take responsibility for your mistakes and learn from them. Check your egos at the door.

Terrible leadership and morale with no desire to improve. Getting out as soon as I can!!

Current Employee - MACHINE FLOOR in Lisbon, OH
    Current Employee - MACHINE FLOOR in Lisbon, OH

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for easy work. Feeling that I can count on the other guys on the floor. Semi-stable employment

Cons

Union contract means nothing when management doesn't follow it anyways. Instead of doing what it says in the book, they will go by "past practice" - aka what makes them look best to corporate.

Mindset is not about the employees at all, only what will make management look best!! I would even call the treatment towards employees abusive. I know some of the past practices violate federal laws. And they wonder why employees are confrontational!

Management doesnt have a clue what is going on. This goes from Engineering to Human Resources to Operations. Wrong information is given if and when you get any information at all.

No praise or incentives for doing good work or more work than required. No reason to try to do well at all. I truly think both salary and hourly employees would flock out the door if given the chance to.

The list of bad things about working here is never ending.

Dont listen to management when they tell you everything is ok in Ohio. It's not. This was a short list of the things that are not ok in Ohio. To learn more things, come to Ohio when you say you are going to and actually talk to the employees without management around.

Employees dread coming to work for the terrible management in place, and they will do anything to stop you from seeing this, including firing the only salary employee who cared about us. Next time, fire the problems.

If you are a "yes man", you'll do well here - just don't have any ideas or opinions of your own

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Lisbon, OH
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Lisbon, OH

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay for easy work and great coworkers that you can actually count on. Easy access to supervisor since he is on the floor with you

Cons

New ideas are not welcomed. Having opinions of your own will not get you anywhere with management. The way to succeed is to "just say yes!" Don't bother trying to actually improve a process or even make a legitimate complaint - it will fall upon deaf ears.

The Management "team" is your problem. There is no desire to improve the horrible morale, and even if there was desire to, management lacks the people skills and knowledge to improve it. Your best workers are driven away by inconsistencies and favoritism shown to the "yes men". Stop the favoritism and actually improve lisbon before you have no employees left.

Where there is smoke, there's fire... And smoke is thick in Ohio

Current Employee - Office Employee in Lisbon, OH
    Current Employee - Office Employee in Lisbon, OH

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance and decent compensation. Breakfast or lunch served at least once a month. Beyond that, I am not sure!

Cons

Terribly expensive benefits
    No accountability for anyone - I would compare it to the Wild Wild West
    Inept leadership - you can't even have a conversation without being threatened to be written up
    No relationship with the union, and no plans to build a relationship
    No communication from management to even other managers or supervisors, leading

Take a hard look at Ohio Operations management... you have a great chance to make a real difference with your employees but don't have the right management in place.

Doing the right things

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon

Pros

Investing to make the business stronger and better. Great colleagues who are always willing to help. Tons of charity work which is a testament to the hearts of the employees.

Cons

Like any publicly traded company, decisions for long-term business health can sometimes be sacrificed for short-term investor gains.

Continue to praise GOOD work and accomplishments often.

Management is the problem!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The money isn't bad. Benefits about average for today's working world.

Cons

Management!! They are the whole problem. They have bad directors hiring bad managers who are then put in charge of the business. Corporate flies by the seat of their pants on a daily basis. No one knows what they're doing.
    Middle management treats the worker bees like they're children instead Of adults!! They keep completely incompetent people in positions when those same people should have been fired or never hired in the first place. They promote people into management just because they have been there forever instead of looking for the right people to do a good job.
    When I started there CM was a leader in the industry now we're a JOKE!!!

Fire all the directors and managers across the company...Chattanooga included and start over.....including the CEO, be cause obviously he's blind deaf and dumb if he doesn't see the problems right in front of his face.

Worst job I ever had

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Lisbon, OH
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Lisbon, OH

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I will have to think about this one!!

Cons

Total lack of respect to salaried employees. Lack of concern of safety and quality. Hourly employees make more money while working less hours. Reviews are constantly 4-5 months overview.
          Re elvaluate your pay scale to enable you to retain good employees.

Take a hard look at how you treat salaried employees.

Complete lack of credible management

Former Employee - MACHINE FLOOR in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - MACHINE FLOOR in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Columbus McKinnon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay potential

There are no other viable reasons to work for this company.

Cons

Carousel of management leads to carousel of policies

All promotions are contingent to relation to a handful of people

Lack of scheduling capabilities lead to extensive overtime for hourly employees

Middle management is filled with deceit and blame without ever providing constructive thoughts or solutions

No reward for hard work, high production rates, low scrap, or advanced education

Management is allowed to mistreat employees verbally

Complete lack of professionalism

RE: Chattanooga - Take care of the people who specialize in making you money. Cutting benefits, firing good managers and promoting bad managers, and not providing advancement under the guise of "we dont have a system in place" leads to horrible morale and high turnover. Chattanooga is blowing up with job opportunities, so managers can no longer treat employees bad while challenging them to "find a better job" if they can. Identify capable employees and give them a reason to make CM their career instead of letting managers scared of talent run them off. Stop allowing failure to exist!!!! First cuts? Current Chattanooga Ops Mgr and the Tool and Die supervisor.

Could have been better

I worked at Columbus McKinnon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was pretty much no one looking over my shoulders over analyzing everything I did which does help the stress level

Cons

They don't seem to be big on providing good training and are one of the most un-transparent companies I have ever worked for

Your people are your strength..nurture them...train them...treat them well

Money hungry, power grab!

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Wadesboro, NC
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Wadesboro, NC

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you don't like a policy or supervisor, just wait! It will change soon!

Cons

Apparently ambition is the only trait needed to supervise here. Hard workers are not compensated enough and lazy workers are protected, promoted, and get to top pay quickly. The most backwards company I have ever worked for.

With a CEO that makes 1.23M a year, I would advise him to cut his salary by 75%, give all the hourly workers a raise, fire plant managers and above, then quit.

Columbus McKinnon Photos