Columbus McKinnon Reviews

Columbus McKinnon President, CEO, and Director Tim Tevens
Tim Tevens

1. Some positives some negatives

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time

Pros

Decent salary. Local leadership is steering the company in the right direction. Many improvements and machinery upgrades are being put in place and should make the company better in the long run.

Cons

Director level manager is bent on imposing his vision on the company. The problem is he doesn't understand the unique challenges of our facility and is pushing textbook solutions which don't work.

Advice to Management

Stand up to the director and make common sense improvements. The local management is the best it's ever been. Don't waste it by not having a backbone and giving in to whatever comes down from corporate.

2. Mechanical Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Columbus McKinnon full-time

Pros

There are no any pros.

Cons

Worst management, Improper utilization of human resources available, bias managers

3. CNC MACHINIST

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Salem, OH
    Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Salem, OH

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation is above average.

Cons

Lack of empowerment and advancements.

Advice to Management

Develop better decision making skills.

Used to be a GREAT, secure company to work for, but no longer is.

Current Employee - Shop Floor Employee in Lisbon, OH
    Current Employee - Shop Floor Employee in Lisbon, OH

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay for area, most workers are great to work with and they care about their jobs. Close and convenient from my home.

Cons

As a long time employee(over 20 years) I can recall when we had KNOWLEDGEABLE management who actually understood our product and how to make it. We now have a bunch of "numbers people" running our company into the ground. The top 15 shop employees have over 670 combined years of experience vs. less than 20 combined years in our management staff. You would think they might tap into the wealth of knowledge on the floor but they're too arrogant to do so. They have created "work instructions" for each and every job because they're clueless as to what our jobs consist of. We have to fill out daily checklists so that they can look at them and make themselves think all is well. I speak mostly of our upper management when I speak of the problems we face because our middle management staff MUST do as they are micro managed to do. Our executive staff refuses to hear the real problems and keep their heads in the sand when told where the problem is. Upper management is unreasonable and refuses to address the root cause of the problems. After all they can't FIRE themselves. It's very sad as a long time employee to see our company fall apart and lose customers. This is MY JOB and I CARE ABOUT IT!! This is how I pay my bills and eat!! I wish someone at the top would take our concerns seriously and quit passing the buck onto everyone else but themselves so I can retire from here. It's such a helpless feeling to know there is NOBODY willing to help.

Advice to Management

Executive management needs to believe and listen to the employees who have been here most of their lives and get rid of the ohio operations upper management in order to SAVE our company. PLEASE JUST LOOK AT THE BUSINESS WE HAVE LOST AND ASK YOURSELVES WHY????

6. stay far away from this place !!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amherst, NY

I worked at Columbus McKinnon

Pros

had decent pension plan and yearly stock awards - both taken away last couple of years. Did have good people working here at one time. would give less than 1 star review in may categories if possible.

Cons

almost too numerous to list. Management horrible from very top on down. Many " bully " tactics used on employees. stock to employees taken away except for directors and members of executive committee. used to be highly regarded in the industry - now a joke ! management completely removed from customer base - no clue what actually goes on in real work setting. Way too many directors & VP's - it is a money grab for executives here , and employees are treated poorly.

Advice to Management

leave the company and perhaps better " leaders" will take your place. This place is broken and needs a MAJOR overhaul ! Look in the mirror and ask yourself why so many people have left this company the past 5 years.

7. Budget cuts and hiring freeze!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary, most people are nice.

Cons

CEO continues to focus on headcount, resulting in remaining employees having unmanageable workloads. Currently in a hiring freeze, although they won't admit it or call it that.

Engineer

Former Employee - Engineering Associate in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Engineering Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Columbus McKinnon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience! Many hurdles overcome.

Cons

Disorganization. Needs a good bit more structure.

Advice to Management

Create a controlled document department.

management is the problem!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people except for mangement. Pay is slightly above average, location is ok, benefits ok, nice that you can roll your vacation from year to year.

Cons

Management......upper management, middle management. They ALL micro-management and treat employees like children. Like we are incapable of intelligent thoughts. They have no idea what our jobs consist of yet try to tell us the best way to do them. Pathetic excuses for human beings. They should all be fired....wipe the slate clean and start again.

Advice to Management

Go to sensitivity training!! Stop being bullies, learn how to actually manage people. Better yet, get down in the trenches with us and actually learn what we do and then have a professional train you at being managers...maybe then you'll actually understand that's it not all about processes and procedures!!! That's how micro-managers run departments......Humans do it the right way!!!!

10. Gotta give one star but wish it could be Zero.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OH

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time

Pros

Come and go as you want. Free food often.

Cons

Employees don't care about their jobs. They have no reason to. You are treated as if you're slow and not worth managements time. Management has made the culture one where you are in fear for your job. Forget about disagreeing with management because they will find some reason to fire you. Come in and just hope to stay on the good side. Good luck if you decide to work here but remember there's a reason a bunch of employees are leaving or looking to leave because there is nothing worth staying here for.

Advice to Management

Fix the culture. You will probably need to start from the top down because of the damage top management has done. Recognize you have an issue instead of just ignoring it.

False Promises

Current Employee - Local Manager
    Current Employee - Local Manager

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good quality products, great hourly workers, average pay, about average insurance. A lot of veteran employees who still care, but have been minimized by the company.

Cons

Last year, the Director of Operations position changed. The new Director walks in and tells us how things are going to change the culture at CM. Sounded good, but then he is like Jekyll and Hyde. He does not listen to us and then he tells the same stories over and over. I wonder if he believes all the stuff he says because he is like a broken record. We were told how we were treated would improve, but the director not only does not listen to us, but when we make a suggestion, he ALWAYS counters with his input. I have been doing my job for almost 10 years here and I have been in the industry for almost 20 years and he is going to tell me how to do my job? I will accept positive criticism, but it is like he disagrees for the sake of disagreeing. I feel bad for the local general manager, because he cannot win. It is the rock and the hard place. The director goes into meetings with our hourly employees without local management or HR, they can say whatever they want. Then the director can say whatever he wants, and he does, but we have no idea what was said. He will not tell us directly what was said, so we have to guess what was said. The employees think he is going to improve things, but the local management is in the dark. Then the employees get mad at us thinking we are not doing what the director said we would do, but we had no idea what was said. It is a no win for anyone in management at the plant. I wake up everyday dreading work for the first time in ten years. I am not sure how much more I can take of this nonsense.

Advice to Management

Everyone do their job! Director needs to stop acting as the general manager. The general manager should allow the other managers to do their job. Stop undercutting your local managers.

RSS Feed </> Embed