Columbus Metropolitan Library

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
3.8

Patrick Losinski

A pleasant place with good benefits if you are seeking part-time work only.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Columbus Metropolitan Library part-time

Pros

The benefits are good, coworkers are pleasant (though some are a little incompetent), and it can be rewarding to get to engage with the local community.

Cons

It is very difficult to get hired without an "in" (try volunteering first). There are not a lot of full-time positions available, and you can't just pick up more hours. If you're part-time, that's it. It's not terribly challenging, and can be dull on slow days.

I'm sure it isn't an accident that there are so many part-time positions and so few full-time positions, but it'd be nice if that weren't the case.

All companies should be this good

Current Employee - Tech Support in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Columbus Metropolitan Library (more than an year)

Pros

Helping people, learning, expansion, being able to see others grow from the interaction you have with them.

Cons

Communication could use some work. Sometimes it feels like you are not able to get across useful information.

Keep up the good work

Library no longer.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Columbus Metropolitan Library part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Books. These are on the way out but there still are some available.

The library itself. Its continuing existence is of essential importance.

Co-workers (non-management) are generally great folks. These are the people who help you get through the day, who know where you're coming from because they have been there, too.

Cons

Customers are primarily loud, bored, hyperactive teens who have nowhere else to go. Adults want to get on a computer and pay scant attention to what their children do. Lax rules allow them to do pretty much whatever they want. Security guards who want to remove disruptive customers are often contradicted by management: this maneuver undercuts the guards' authority and legitimizes customers' behavior. The library further encourages this play-time atmosphere by providing toys, which are thrown, scattered, and must be cleaned up by staff multiple times a day---along with food wrappers, drink cups, and other debris. Older customers, those who do not have smart phones, who read actual books, are disregarded. Youth is worshiped, courted, and emphasized to the detriment of anyone who is not of this demographic. Library is trying to be everything---day care center, parent, friend, teacher, entertainment----that is trendy and shiny and new. So much effort must be expended on keeping up with every fad that substance is forgotten. Its reach is exceeding its grasp.

Much is made of 'celebrating diversity'. This celebration is only skin deep. If one has an opinion differing from the stated management position one had better keep one's mouth tightly shut. No matter if you see a way to do something better---if it is not in line with the Handbook you will be ignored or disciplined. Or both.

If you are ethnic and young, CML will love you. Don't bother applying if you are middle-aged. The worship of youth extends to who gets hired. Exception to this is if you are really good at making doe-eyes at management propaganda.

Get out of the office and see first-hand what it is like to try to work surrounded by noise and chaos. See what customers are really like out in the stacks. Quite different from the atmosphere in your quiet, orderly sanctum sanctorum. Maybe then you would realize just how much stress workers face during every minute of their shifts. Real customers are not the uniformly pleasant, cooperative people seen in training videos but can be rude, insulting, or mentally ill. Some staff have been propositioned or threatened.

Not only this, but staff must simultaneously juggle desk duties and multiple other projects. Often these latter must be completed at short notice, and despite rovers the desk is often short-staffed. Managers: Try dealing with a line of customers while answering the phone, helping someone with the copier, and figuring out how you can cram doing a desk schedule, calling prospective volunteers, completing a video training session, and picking up your children from school all on your upcoming dinner hour which will be halved because of short staff. And you must do all this, of course, while maintaining a cheery smile and never ever forgetting to say 'hello' and 'goodbye' to everyone entering or leaving. Go ahead. Try that. And try to imagine doing that every day.

Managers are so afraid of losing their jobs that they unhesitatingly sacrifice employees rather than ask pertinent questions that might ruffle a superior's feathers. Until you have worked, say, a week behind the circ desk at a branch located in a not-so-nice area, you can have no true idea of what you are expecting your staff to do and just how difficult these jobs truly are.

Overall, a great place to work

I have been working at Columbus Metropolitan Library part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Being part of an organization that is actually doing good things for the community
    - Pleasant atmosphere
    - Decent pay
    - Friendly, nerdy co-workers

Cons

- Almost no full-time positions
    - Difficult to advance

Full-time positions encourage good employees to stick around.

Great experience, good training opportunities, decent pay

Current Employee - Technical Services Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Services Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Columbus Metropolitan Library part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the many training opportunities that CML has available to their employees. They have training/seminars in things like diversity, dealing with/education on poverty, equality, security awareness as well as others. The environment that I worked in was very nice. I worked at the operations center in the technical services department and its a small group of people (15-20) that you see on a daily basis and at the operations center you don't deal with the public at all. The nature of the work was ok, very "assembly line" ish. I constantly reminded myself that i was responsible for every item received and processed by the columbus metropolitan library and it at least gave me somewhat of a sense of importance, it helped a bit. Management is very approachable and generally kind, remember these people have a career with the library. Benefits available to me, as a part-timer, were great. health benefits, PTO, sick days, OPERS (retirement program) etc.

Cons

There is not one con I can really think of besides the pay being very average. No job was paid too much or too little, but coupled with the available benefits (govt job) makes the con very minimal in impact. One other thing is I felt somewhat stuck in my position. There wasn't really any opportunity to move up to a supervisory role within my department. For that reason, along with the pay and a great interest in another position i am soon leaving CML.

Keep up the great work and continue listening to your employees

A mixture of good and bad

Former Employee - Library Page in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Library Page in Columbus, OH

I worked at Columbus Metropolitan Library

Pros

For the most part, I was not micromanaged, but was left free to do my work at my own pace. Scheduling was fairly flexible; management was fair about letting me have time off if it was needed. Job security was good. As long as we showed up to work on time and completed our duties satisfactorily, we didn't have to worry about losing our jobs--though of course, this was before the economy went sour. Things may be different now that we're mired in the Great Depression 2.0. I felt my supervisors were friendly and reasonable enough, and I was not given unfair tasks or workloads.

Cons

The pay was poor to say the least, and raises were practically nonexistent. I worked there for two years, always had good performance reviews and was considered one of the top employees at my position, yet I received virtually no raises my whole time I was there. Some mandatory or "strongly encouraged" workshops and other meetings were utterly useless for my position. A discouraging number of my colleagues were less than competent to the point of laziness and shirking work. One or two were downright abrasive. The work was also not very intellectually stimulating--smart people will be bored fairly quickly.

I know it's a non-profit organization, but you can't expect to keep employees satisfied without SOME semblance of a raise every now and then.

Very professional environment with a low-key feel

I worked at Columbus Metropolitan Library

Pros

Low key, smart people, world-class organization

Cons

Dependent upon public funds, Some politics.