Columbus Public School Dst

Dan Good

Heartbreaking...

Former Employee - Non-teaching, Anonymous in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Non-teaching, Anonymous in Columbus, OH

I worked at Columbus Public School Dst full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved it at first and was very proud to be there....Opportunity to work toward a great cause. Willingness of the organization to assist or cover expenses for professional development.

Cons

Traditionally the District has been a very top-down driven environment; internal communications across the organization needs improvement. Don't answer a question with another question such as: "Who is asking... What purpose is the information needed?"

Stop acting as if its a private organization and that it's a victim of unfair, fully undeserved perceptions.

Hiring Bodies

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Columbus, OH

I worked at Columbus Public School Dst (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule. If you don't wish to work a day, you simply don't accept an assignment. The teachers are excellent an highly qualified, and really care about the students. They are given so little to work with, and yet they produce results continually. The problem is, they are coming from so far behind, it still looks like they are not doing enough.

Cons

My pay was literally HALF what a salaried teacher makes. I have the SAME EXACT degree, credentials, and license as the staff I filled in for. They do not take care of their own when vacancies open. They move you into a different assignment to avoid paying the modified salary and benefits. There is no protection for you from the teacher union. No medical benefits.

Reward your substitutes appropriately. Those that work hard and put in the extra effort deserve a full-time position. Pay your substitutes better. Get rid of principles who are not right for the job. Several simply should not be in the leadership position. They are doing more damage than good.

Watch your back!

I have been working at Columbus Public School Dst full-time

Pros

Columbus has some of the top pay and it is rewarding working with challenging students. A teacher's schedule is unbeatable!

Cons

You have to watch your back because you can easily take the blame for someone else's actions. There are very shady things that go on behind the scenes. Although the pay and benefits are excellent now (2013), benefit costs are quickly rising and pay is not.

It's a teaching job

I have been working at Columbus Public School Dst

Pros

The kids need energized and capable teachers and it can be rewarding at times.

Cons

Union job so you are stuck with your salary regardless of performance.

IA

Current Employee - Instructional Assistance in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Instructional Assistance in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Columbus Public School Dst

Pros

Overall good benifits, raising costs and deductables but this is everywhere. Summers off, and same schedule as kids to be prevent child care cost or just to spend time with them.

Cons

Higher pay in some districts. Training, paid degree programs, etc. are reserved for current teachers not for the advancement of other lowly employees.

Infamously known to treat people poorly. Stop with the games, and reward those that deserve it, and get rid of the retire-rehires that cost too much $ as well as the those who free loafers that prevent the district and students from getting ahead.

Little Room for Advancement

I worked at Columbus Public School Dst

Pros

The pay was decent for the type of demographic you are working with.

Cons

I substituted for CCS for three years, with several long-term positions, but it never turned into anything permanently.