Columbus State Community College

Columbus State Community College President David T. Harrison

David T. Harrison

Great place to work.

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsDepartment chairs are supportive of adjuncts.

ConsAs an adjunct, one can only teach 22 credits/year.

simple, but yet effective

Prossmall classes, teachers take time to help progress students

Consnot many classes relating to area of study

CSCC

Rush Cashier (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsA degree obtained here results in being qualified for employment.

ConsHard to get a start in the workplace without the aforementioned degree.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

work-study job at the IT Student Help Desk

Help Desk Technician (Work Study) (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsRelaxed work environment, good coworkers, lots of downtime and fairly simple responsibilities, spent a lot of my time doing homework for class

ConsThe only cons are inherent to the job - helping people with their computers can be incredibly frustrating. Many people are mad at you before they meet you, and very few people appreciate your time.

Struggling

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat ideas
    Staff want to help students

ConsInefficiencies all across campus-- students get bounced from office to office
    Workload distribution is out of balance-- some work extra hours with too much to do, while others have little to do each day

Going downhill fast

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat people and mission focused

ConsCompletely missed enrollment projections last year and now they are in a financial crisis. They were experiencing record growth and solid financial security. They are currently $10 MM in the hole. Terrible leadership in Human Resources and is run like a civil service organization. HR partners treat employees poorly. President has recently made poor hiring choices in his Cabinet which has led to a drastic and negative change in the culture. Employee morale is at an all time low. Internal communication is horrible. Technology is outdated and it makes it difficult to do good work. Innovation isn't encouraged and employees are micromanaged.

Noone Seems to Know Anything

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsPeople. Some of the best people I know are my current coworkers.
    Good hours.
    Decent office.
    Like my current team

ConsThere doesn't seem to be a clear plan at times.
    Constant projects that don't seem to amount to anything.
    CIO is a consultant who doesn't seem to care much about anything but getting to the end of their contract so they can split after upending everyone and everything.
    No accountability in many areas. Sr. Management constantly battling for their fiefdoms. No desire to actually make things better.
    Everything seems to be all talk with no clear direction once the meeting (after meeting after meeting) is over.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit waffling on decisions. MAKE SOME. Let's go to work to make it better. Communicate effectively. Lose the spin.

BORING

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsDo whatever you want whenever you want. Decent pay. You can decide how much you want to work and when, since nothing really important is ever going on

ConsBORING. Lousy management. No forward progress. Middle managers are great, but upper management is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking and start doing.

One of learning. I don't know any organization that's perfect.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsCo-workers, and the job itself is satisfying.

ConsLack of communication and the feeling that new leadership comes across, maybe unintentional, as being out of touch with common working people.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuggestion: Talk to your people. It appears that you only communicate with those in cabinet. You'd be surprise at what you may learn from the employees on the front line. Leaders communicate with all people (even those from diverse background) to get a broad view of all opinions and concerns, not just the chosen few. Otherwise, this could be a great place to work.

Great Place to Work While Getting a Degree... Advancement within is frowned upon. Not a career, more of a job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat co-workers, management was understanding with scheduling, work delegation.

ConsNot a place to hold a career, but a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work with employer/employee relations, however be clear and precise about advancement opportunities.

Worked for Columbus State Community College? Contribute to the Community!