Columbus State University Reviews

Columbus State University President Timothy S. Mescon
Timothy S. Mescon

1. Tutor

I have been working at Columbus State University part-time

Pros

I'm a current student, working as a tutor on campus part-time (and far removed from management), so I'm aware my experience working here may be different than others, but my experience has mainly been a positve one. I love the people I work with; it's a very friendly, welcoming, and open place. My boss is supportive, nice, and genuinely wants the best for you. I love the culture. It's an amazing place to work, that I would recommend to any student looking for some extra cash.

Cons

You won't get too many hours, and the pay is no where near enough to live off of, so look elsewhere if you were hoping to be able to have this as your main source of income.

Advice to Management

None really; I'm far removed from upper management and had no contact with them thus far.

2. Great

I have been working at Columbus State University part-time

Pros

I gained some great skills and I had a wonderful manager

Cons

There weren't really any downsides. Perhaps just lack of upward movement

Advice to Management

Keep those managers that get the best feedback from coworkers

3. Pros

The people, benefits, and connections

Cons

Columbus as a city isn't growing very much every year...

5. Great place for a young, upcoming student!

I have been working at Columbus State University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CCSSC has a great atmosphere. You're still expected to work and do your job, but you will definitely spend your time also socializing and connecting with coworkers. You are assigned to a specific job based on what they either feel is best for you or through request. I personally have partook in two roles in the time I have been working here, and love both. The CCSSC also gives you the opportunity to communicate with a multitude of customers whether they be adults or children.

Cons

Mostly salary wise. If you're still a full-time student working part-time, getting paid minimum wage isn't necessarily that bad. But don't expect to make tons of money since this is a "college student job" of sorts.

Advice to Management

Continue being helpful, understanding, and be lovers of all things science. The relaxed atmosphere all of you bring to the table helps to relax even the most jittery of new comers, even me!

6. CSU review

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Columbus, GA

I worked at Columbus State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and professors in the ESS department but thats it.

Cons

CSU is headed down hill fast. Sometimes HR would just lose the paper work for me to get paid...

Advice to Management

Replace everyone at the top.

7. Review

Pros

Great Place to work and great people

Cons

the south of Columbus is a mess

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

8. Upside potential but campus in administrative disarray

I worked at Columbus State University full-time

Pros

This institution as all the elements to be a fine school and workplace. The surrounding community has lots of amenities. The current campuses have a number of newer features including a fantastic student activities center. The downtown arts campus is as urban and picturesque as any small town campus I've ever seen. The city is situated so that it is easy to get to and from Atlanta.

Cons

The central administration is weak leaving the campus management in complete disarray. The faculty are devious and backbiting and run rampant over management. The state continues to make massive funding cuts to the institution. There is little commitment to diversity among faculty and staff hires. Personnel development is nearly unheard of except for a chosen few who seem to get all the dollars. Also, except for the same chosen few, staff haven't had a raise in almost ten years.

Advice to Management

The central administration needs a major shake-up. The deadwood on the faculty need to be bought out, which would solve a lot of the managerial issues. The state needs to start funding its higher education programs, which would help Columbus State not only make better faculty hires and fund staff cost of living increases, but would also help fulfill campus expansion and improvement plans.

9. Workable time at a mid level university that thinks it's higher then it is.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Columbus State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great facilities in the arts and business schools. Good class sizes at the moment. Great climate compared to the north. Great community involvement.

Cons

Small universities often have identity issues. This place wants to be ranked higher then it is. They just don't have the funding or mindset to walk the walk. No raises in 5+ years. State funding issues. Cuts in staffing for facilities.

Advice to Management

Show off who we are. It seems as if we're trying to be a research one level school, but without the funding and mindset. Teaching loads are just right for a II tear school. Trying to get up higher requires a shift in load and funding for outside research.

10. Time Consuming

Pros

Pays for housing. Small stipend

Cons

Managment disregard other school obligations

11. Great mid-size University in which to work.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant (GA) in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant (GA) in Columbus, GA

I worked at Columbus State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Creative environment. Nice campus. The IT department is cutting edge and works with large corporations to bring the latest technology on campus. This is great for staff, faculty and students.

Cons

Like most Universities all too often colleges are in their own silo. The entrepreneurial spirit is preached in the College of Business but not practiced on campus.

Advice to Management

It takes money to make money. Give professor monetary incentives to write grants.

RSS Feed </> Embed