Column Technologies, Inc.

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Timothy Yario

Decent place to start, but don't plan on staying long

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOn the technical side, Column works closely with product manufacturers to make sure that personnel get the training they need. Note - I said product manufacturers. Don't expect to get much in the way of internal training.

ConsManagement is inconsistent at best and manic at worst. Senior management makes decisions based on their emotions and lacks any sort of long term strategy. Loyalty is non-existent, and you are judged more on your appearance and your ability to cater to the whims of the owners than your actual abilities. Senior management would rather put blinders on than face the issues in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your mid level managers and hire people who know what it's like to run a company of this size. The owners should get out of day-to-day decisions and either learn how to develop company wide strategies or hire someone who can.

Great People - Inconsistent Policies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people at Column are some of the best in the industry. There are also some truly innovative ideas within the organization.

ConsThe company does not always follow policies, but rather the whims of of upper-management. This includes the bonus policy, that does not appear consistent in its timing nor the methods it's calculated.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with abusive managers (even if upper-management) in a consistent manner.

Anonymous victim of the Column Culture what a waste of time

Downers Grove, IL

ProsGreat Training and useful tools for sucess

ConsNo consistent processes, High Turnover, Poor leadership and mangement especially in Downers Grove.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a waste of time and money to train people that you know that you are going to keep and you know that your managers may get rid of just because they are the flavor of the month. Skilled invdividuals should be given an opportunity to perform sucessfully. Unforntunately, if your mangers are taking relationships personal and only catering to those that buy lunch that could interfere greatly.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

On and Off Work, nickel-and-diming for expenses

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsVery professional, responsive management. Fantastic technical and professional experience.

ConsIn a misguided attempt to appear to be looking out for the customer's bottom line, traveling employees are required to save their meal receipts and keep booze off them entirely, instead of just using the standard GSA per diem rates.

As a retention measure, employees who leave the company of their own volition are required to repay the required training they received.

Advice to Senior ManagementSwitch to per diem, drop the training repayment structure, or at least soften it in light of the fact that billable time will cover it in no time.

Great place if you enjoy working for a sociopath

Survivor (Current Employee)
    Downers Grove, IL

ProsIf you can survive a year at Column, you can survive ten years in a normal organization.

ConsThere is a senior manger who fits the clinical definition of a workplace sociopath. His employees so hate him that open hostility in his departments in rampant. As a long-time friend of the owner, his boorish, crude, and hostile behavior is tolerated. He berates coworkers in front of others and blames everyone but himself for his failings on a regular basis

Advice to Senior ManagementFire this senior manager and hire competent upper management, rather than family and friends into critical positions.

A-OK place to work at

New York, NY

ProsFriendly, hardworking, and dedicated co-workers. People who work here genuinely enjoy their occupations.

Cons[lack of] 1-on-1Training
    Small office/employee count

Fast Paced

Downers Grove, IL

ProsThe atmosphere at Column is fast paced and requires a great deal of self-sufficiency but this also means employees have independence in their work so long as they can produce results. The senior management is also friendly and open to new ideas, although they expect their employees to perform very well. The fact that the company is relatively small and places a large amount of responsibility in the hands of their employees allowed me to see the fruits of my labor, which was fulfilling and gave me a sense of accomplishment.

ConsColumn was stressful and erratic at times simply because the company is growing so quickly, however this allowed for creativity and problem solving abilities to thrive in this environment.

Incredible opportunities for growth

Downers Grove, IL

ProsIn my opinion, Column has one of the widest career growth opportunities. The principals of the company have an "open door" policy, which allow for an aggressive management style and a "whatever it takes" approach. HR posts all jobs internally before putting them out on external job boards. Even though Column is considered a small company, there are opportunities to transfer to other offices globally. Since I've been here I've seen people go from customer support to consulting and have also seen consultants take on various management roles.

ConsSince the company is growing very fast, outdated processes and manual systems sometimes create stressful situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster and spread your entrepreneurial spirit to the entire company to maintain vision and pace ourselves for decades to come.

Column Technologies is a highly-stressful, clique-filled organization that regularly terminates short-term employees.

Column Technologies - Think Carefully (Current Employee)
    Downers Grove, IL

ProsColumn Technologies offers their employees hands-on experience with the BMC Software ITSM technology and the ITIL framework. True to their claim, Column makes a concerted effort to train their employees.

ConsI work closely with Column Technologies manangement, and it's a dreadful experience. Our plans change almost by the day, and there's a tremendous amount of wasted time and energy keeping up with the two owners' whims. They are often in conflict, and Column Technologies suffers from their inability to address their differences.

Unfortunately, this lack of civility and respect has become part of Column Technologies' culture. At first, I thought it was limited to upper management, but I now know it regularly takes place - and is tolerated - at all levels. Boorish, inconsiderate behavior is all too often a fact of life at Column Technologies, but it's far easier to think of where I'll work after the job market improves rather than dwell on it.

I've also seen too many cases where employees worked only briefly for Column Technologies before they were laid off. Some may have been unsatisfactory performers, but it's happened so often at Column Technologies than at other employers I've worked for that I can't help but wonder. I've decided it's far better not to ask questions.

Why has Column Technologies had such success? I've concluded there are so few good alternatives to BMC Software's ITSM technology that Column Technologies is in a difficult-to-fail position. I often hear stories about major problems with BMC's implementations and upgrades, so it's likely Column Technologies is a less painful alternative.

I've quietly spoken with others at Column Technologies to see if my experience is unique, and I've learned many are biding their time until the economy improves. In the midst of a terrible downturn, I'm actually thankful to Column Technologies for a reasonably secure position, but I am looking forward to a far healthier, much less stressful work environment. If you have other options, I urge you to select them first.

Short Term

Management Consultant (Current Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsColumn Technologies allows to work independently without micromanagement , but will be available to you if you need they them. They allow you to work from home. The have a great medical package and bonus program.

ConsColumn Technologies will only share positive news with employees. When negative news has to be shared it will only do so when the information is about to become public knowledge. This is the only mildly negative thing I have about my experience at Column.

Worked for Column Technologies, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Column Technologies, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Column Technologies, Inc. CEO Timothy Yario. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Column Technologies, Inc. employees.