Column Technologies, Inc. Reviews

Reset
5.0
Timothy Yario

1. If you work hard you will succeed

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good life/work balance. No micromanagement. Ability to be creative and work from home. Very much a family environment. Your coworkers are your friends. If you don't work hard though this is not for you. They only hire top notch candidates that want to succeed.

Cons

Sometimes stressful because clients are hard on deadlines and sometimes unreasonable but we try to make them happy.

Advice to Management

There is always a good balance between making clients happy and pushing back.

2. I had fun working for Colmn.

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

I meet a lot of interesting people.

Cons

The hours were long but the people where great.

Advice to Management

I don't have any additional advice for the management.

Great Midsize Company

Former Employee - Accounting Generalist in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Generalist in Lombard, IL

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work to life balance, great leadership, great co-workers, great relationships with vendors and clients.

Cons

At the time.. Lack of opportunities for movement for administrative staff. Other than that Column is a great company. You work your butt off but it's work if it was all fun it would be play.

Advice to Management

Keep staying in touch with your workers and offices. Keep growing!!

5. Great People - True Client Care - Ethics

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Column empowers its hires to do well by them. Imho, there is the correct amount of reporting/supervision - no micromanagement, just management. Do you job well, no worries. People tend not to leave Column, and when they do, it's often they come back. Every consulting company makes mistakes- Deloitte, Accenture: anybody. What makes a company great - are how the mistakes are dealt with. Column hires bright people and they do well by their customers; always. I've seen people flown with hours notice to go 'make it right.' The few errors I ever saw, were always prioritized and mitigated. Customers are in excellent hands with Column and that is a huge benefit as a salesperson. It's pretty incredible that a company of Column's size continues to count as customers all the nationally and internationally known customers, especially doing work that has enterprise impact. And - there's a new one every week. That should be pretty telling to prospective employees and customers. You can have confidence that the company will act ethically to make their customers happy (within all reasonable bounds) and will behave fairly. I never ever saw something that seemed below board. Work hard, play hard - there is definitely a hard work will be rewarded culture here and a "when you're here, you're family" feel. A year or two into my tenure, a VP shared that he sometimes wondered if the company could have grown faster. He said that they had made a conscious decision to hire at a conservative pace; because in case things turned, they didn't want to have to tell anyone they no longer had work for them. He didn't have any ounce of regret in his tone; my takeaway was that they put people's well being before profit. I believe that statement to be 100% genuine and quite telling. The owners are good people.

Cons

None for me. If I built a company, it would exhibit very similar values and priorities. Travel might be a bit rough on consultants/Sr. Management, but that's a bit the nature of the beast with consulting.

6. Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy my job at Column, I like the work I do, and I like the people I work with. Column as a company seems to focus on how to get things done, as opposed to why something can't be done. There are some really nice people at Column. The work is good, and people depend on you. Benefits are good and I feel like the company tries to recognize and reward extra efforts.

Cons

The company is not growing as fast as it could. While that might also be true of most companies, I would like to see Column come closer to achieving its real potential.

Advice to Management

Keep a positive energy flowing in the company, and continue to bring new ideas for growing the business.

Great place to work, smart environment, strong training and career advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture promotes hard work but also values work-life balance There are many smart people in the organization, especially in the engineering department due to stringent hiring standards

Cons

Can be a fast paced environment which isn't a fit for everyone

Advice to Management

Continue to look to the future for new ways to grow and provide for employees

I love my job at Column. But it is not for people who do not want to work hard.

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working remotely and traveling. Also the people are like family and always supportive and helpful. If you want to work hard and always be busy, never bored, this is the place for you.

Cons

Working in consulting is sometimes hard because you have to deal with angry customers or unrealistic timelines.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow us to have a say in our technology and growth.

A Growing Company with Opportunities

Current Employee - Administration in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Administration in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Room for growth. After 11 years with this organization, I have been part of a HUGE growth and there is so much room for personal/professional growth within the company. People are friendly, the partners are always accessible to not only top-level staff, but for all staff. Great benefits and friendly environment

Cons

for me, I'd like to travel more within my position.

Advice to Management

Listen to the voices of your employees and continue to strive for ways to keep the corporation profitable. You've brought this company a long way, from 20 employees in the US, to over 350 employees nationwide.

Fast Paced

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

Pros

The atmosphere at Column is fast paced and requires a great deal of self-sufficiency but this also means employees have independence in their work so long as they can produce results. The senior management is also friendly and open to new ideas, although they expect their employees to perform very well. The fact that the company is relatively small and places a large amount of responsibility in the hands of their employees allowed me to see the fruits of my labor, which was fulfilling and gave me a sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Column was stressful and erratic at times simply because the company is growing so quickly, however this allowed for creativity and problem solving abilities to thrive in this environment.

11. Incredible opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

Pros

In my opinion, Column has one of the widest career growth opportunities. The principals of the company have an "open door" policy, which allow for an aggressive management style and a "whatever it takes" approach. HR posts all jobs internally before putting them out on external job boards. Even though Column is considered a small company, there are opportunities to transfer to other offices globally. Since I've been here I've seen people go from customer support to consulting and have also seen consultants take on various management roles.

Cons

Since the company is growing very fast, outdated processes and manual systems sometimes create stressful situations.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster and spread your entrepreneurial spirit to the entire company to maintain vision and pace ourselves for decades to come.

RSS Feed </> Embed