Column Technologies, Inc. Reviews

Reset

1. Not Bad

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, flexible on where you live, work from home, travel, great co-workers. Decent benefits.

Cons

Leadership not clear on how well the company is doing - which has been bad for some time. Unexpected lay offs due to this, and then sudden hiring over the past 1-2 years. Travel is usually very last minute and not well planned out. Company tends to be too nice to clients and is unwilling to show leadership or draw a line.

Advice to Management

Diversify business offerings more. ITSM is a one trick pony and seems to be hurting in the long term. Focus on new business for smaller teams since there are tons of opportunity there.

2. I had fun working for Colmn.

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc.

Pros

I meet a lot of interesting people.

Cons

The hours were long but the people where great.

Advice to Management

I don't have any additional advice for the management.

Great Midsize Company

Former Employee - Accounting Generalist in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Generalist in Lombard, IL

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work to life balance, great leadership, great co-workers, great relationships with vendors and clients.

Cons

At the time.. Lack of opportunities for movement for administrative staff. Other than that Column is a great company. You work your butt off but it's work if it was all fun it would be play.

Advice to Management

Keep staying in touch with your workers and offices. Keep growing!!

5. Good workplace

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst, Remedy Solutions in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst, Remedy Solutions in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly work environment, great learning opportunities

Cons

needs better processes following, better grawth plans, lot of travel

Learn a lot, but rough on work/life balance

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time

Pros

Good company if you really want to learn the product. Plenty of opportunities to expand on your own knowledge.

Cons

Advancement is difficult, be prepared to work non-stop, travel is on your own time. Management is very disorganized - the inmates run the asylum.

Advice to Management

Managers need to lead - not micromanage or make decisions without having all the facts.

7. Great People - True Client Care - Ethics

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Column empowers its hires to do well by them. Imho, there is the correct amount of reporting/supervision - no micromanagement, just management. Do you job well, no worries. People tend not to leave Column, and when they do, it's often they come back. Every consulting company makes mistakes- Deloitte, Accenture: anybody. What makes a company great - are how the mistakes are dealt with. Column hires bright people and they do well by their customers; always. I've seen people flown with hours notice to go 'make it right.' The few errors I ever saw, were always prioritized and mitigated. Customers are in excellent hands with Column and that is a huge benefit as a salesperson. It's pretty incredible that a company of Column's size continues to count as customers all the nationally and internationally known customers, especially doing work that has enterprise impact. And - there's a new one every week. That should be pretty telling to prospective employees and customers. You can have confidence that the company will act ethically to make their customers happy (within all reasonable bounds) and will behave fairly. I never ever saw something that seemed below board. Work hard, play hard - there is definitely a hard work will be rewarded culture here and a "when you're here, you're family" feel. A year or two into my tenure, a VP shared that he sometimes wondered if the company could have grown faster. He said that they had made a conscious decision to hire at a conservative pace; because in case things turned, they didn't want to have to tell anyone they no longer had work for them. He didn't have any ounce of regret in his tone; my takeaway was that they put people's well being before profit. I believe that statement to be 100% genuine and quite telling. The owners are good people.

Cons

None for me. If I built a company, it would exhibit very similar values and priorities. Travel might be a bit rough on consultants/Sr. Management, but that's a bit the nature of the beast with consulting.

8. Some real opportunities here. Another "ground floor" moment with a lot of new opportunities in the works.

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some very nice people. There is very good opportunity, especially right now. Lot of good things happening. Now is a great time to join the company as there are a lot of initiatives (new products etc.) to be involved with.

Cons

Lot's of change going on, so processes and policies seem to be always changing. That's probably expected to some degree for any company that is finding new opportunities or doing new things.

9. Good company to work for.

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy my job at Column, I like the work I do, and I like the people I work with. Column as a company seems to focus on how to get things done, as opposed to why something can't be done. There are some really nice people at Column. The work is good, and people depend on you. Benefits are good and I feel like the company tries to recognize and reward extra efforts.

Cons

The company is not growing as fast as it could. While that might also be true of most companies, I would like to see Column come closer to achieving its real potential.

Advice to Management

Keep a positive energy flowing in the company, and continue to bring new ideas for growing the business.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time

Pros

Relaxed culture Flexible with personal time Manager is the best

Cons

Documentation is sloppy and littered with errors Process is nonexistent Owner is psychotic

Advice to Management

Establish a process and stop letting customers be exceptions to the rule. Do not be resistant to change as company structure could improve efficiency and profits.

Great place to work, smart environment, strong training and career advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture promotes hard work but also values work-life balance There are many smart people in the organization, especially in the engineering department due to stringent hiring standards

Cons

Can be a fast paced environment which isn't a fit for everyone

Advice to Management

Continue to look to the future for new ways to grow and provide for employees

RSS Feed </> Embed