Column Technologies, Inc.

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.7

Timothy Yario

I was hired in April 2013 and lost my job in July 2013 due to lack of training for products I was supposed to support.

Current Employee - Remedy Software Developer in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Remedy Software Developer in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The position was close to home making the commute very easy

Cons

Management does little to educate the employee

Get a clue about how to properly train your employees

A Growing Company with Opportunities

Current Employee - Administration in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Administration in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Room for growth. After 11 years with this organization, I have been part of a HUGE growth and there is so much room for personal/professional growth within the company. People are friendly, the partners are always accessible to not only top-level staff, but for all staff. Great benefits and friendly environment

Cons

for me, I'd like to travel more within my position.

Listen to the voices of your employees and continue to strive for ways to keep the corporation profitable. You've brought this company a long way, from 20 employees in the US, to over 350 employees nationwide.

Decent place to start, but don't plan on staying long

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On the technical side, Column works closely with product manufacturers to make sure that personnel get the training they need. Note - I said product manufacturers. Don't expect to get much in the way of internal training.

Cons

Management is inconsistent at best and manic at worst. Senior management makes decisions based on their emotions and lacks any sort of long term strategy. Loyalty is non-existent, and you are judged more on your appearance and your ability to cater to the whims of the owners than your actual abilities. Senior management would rather put blinders on than face the issues in the company.

Get rid of your mid level managers and hire people who know what it's like to run a company of this size. The owners should get out of day-to-day decisions and either learn how to develop company wide strategies or hire someone who can.

Great People - Inconsistent Policies

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time

Pros

The people at Column are some of the best in the industry. There are also some truly innovative ideas within the organization.

Cons

The company does not always follow policies, but rather the whims of of upper-management. This includes the bonus policy, that does not appear consistent in its timing nor the methods it's calculated.

Deal with abusive managers (even if upper-management) in a consistent manner.

Anonymous victim of the Column Culture what a waste of time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Training and useful tools for sucess

Cons

No consistent processes, High Turnover, Poor leadership and mangement especially in Downers Grove.

It's a waste of time and money to train people that you know that you are going to keep and you know that your managers may get rid of just because they are the flavor of the month. Skilled invdividuals should be given an opportunity to perform sucessfully. Unforntunately, if your mangers are taking relationships personal and only catering to those that buy lunch that could interfere greatly.

On and Off Work, nickel-and-diming for expenses

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very professional, responsive management. Fantastic technical and professional experience.

Cons

In a misguided attempt to appear to be looking out for the customer's bottom line, traveling employees are required to save their meal receipts and keep booze off them entirely, instead of just using the standard GSA per diem rates.

As a retention measure, employees who leave the company of their own volition are required to repay the required training they received.

Switch to per diem, drop the training repayment structure, or at least soften it in light of the fact that billable time will cover it in no time.

Great place if you enjoy working for a sociopath

Current Employee - Survivor in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Survivor in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc.

Pros

If you can survive a year at Column, you can survive ten years in a normal organization.

Cons

There is a senior manger who fits the clinical definition of a workplace sociopath. His employees so hate him that open hostility in his departments in rampant. As a long-time friend of the owner, his boorish, crude, and hostile behavior is tolerated. He berates coworkers in front of others and blames everyone but himself for his failings on a regular basis

Fire this senior manager and hire competent upper management, rather than family and friends into critical positions.

A-OK place to work at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, hardworking, and dedicated co-workers. People who work here genuinely enjoy their occupations.

Cons

[lack of] 1-on-1Training
    Small office/employee count

Fast Paced

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc.

Pros

The atmosphere at Column is fast paced and requires a great deal of self-sufficiency but this also means employees have independence in their work so long as they can produce results. The senior management is also friendly and open to new ideas, although they expect their employees to perform very well. The fact that the company is relatively small and places a large amount of responsibility in the hands of their employees allowed me to see the fruits of my labor, which was fulfilling and gave me a sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Column was stressful and erratic at times simply because the company is growing so quickly, however this allowed for creativity and problem solving abilities to thrive in this environment.

Incredible opportunities for growth

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc.

Pros

In my opinion, Column has one of the widest career growth opportunities. The principals of the company have an "open door" policy, which allow for an aggressive management style and a "whatever it takes" approach. HR posts all jobs internally before putting them out on external job boards. Even though Column is considered a small company, there are opportunities to transfer to other offices globally. Since I've been here I've seen people go from customer support to consulting and have also seen consultants take on various management roles.

Cons

Since the company is growing very fast, outdated processes and manual systems sometimes create stressful situations.

Continue to foster and spread your entrepreneurial spirit to the entire company to maintain vision and pace ourselves for decades to come.