Colwen Hotel Management

2.1

CEO

Something About Colwen That People Seem To Overlook

I have been working at Colwen Hotel Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

For the time that I have been working for Colwen Management, I can personally say that there are not many companies out there anymore like this one. Most companies, now-a-days, care only about college education, work history or how well you can blow smoke up their you-know-whats; bit not with Colwen, to them, skills can be learned, knowledge can be acquired, however, personality cannot be, nor can it be faked enough to last a lifetime.

There are many things said about Colwen's interview processes, their basic polices and way of doing things, that are not like other hotel companies and it instantly turns to a con. Not in my eyes it's not. In my eyes, it is a powerful pro, a company that cares about its employees, thinks for the future and gives people a chance to prove their worth, not by showing them a piece of paper, but by interacting, taking action, getting to know them on a personal level.

It is true, however, that if you are not lucky enough to meet Colwen Corporate and their members, you cannot truly enjoy what great things this company has to offer. I have been with Colwen for nearly 6 months now and in that time I have learned more about a company than most would learn in years. I connected with the right people and I've already begun training to be promoted. I am glad that I decided not to pursue a large hotel company to build my career in, and I show it every day I'm here at Colwen.

Cons

If you don't know or meet the right people from the get-go, you have a much harder time getting a foot in the door with corporate (which is by far with the experience and connections).

Promote on skill set and guest service ability, not on length of employment history or age.

Overworked, underpaid, and stressed.

I have been working at Colwen Hotel Management

Pros

Mainly a paycheck and the friendliness of some people within the organization.

Cons

Terrible management with little regard to employee needs, namely training. Company seems much more interested expanding their portfolio and maintaining costs than they do taking care of the people supporting their operation. Do not waste your time.

Care about people more than the bottom line.

Why oh why....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at Colwen Hotel Management full-time

Pros

The people I work with are nice. That's pretty much it. Hotel discounts are pretty sweet too.

Cons

Poor junior management for front desk. Scheduling is an absolute joke. Many of managements seemingly good leaders really have no concept on how to politely talk to people under them. At the particular property I work at the front desk manager is a joke. Does minimal work......pushes anything he personally doesn't want to do off to others. Stays late into the am hours to catch up on his work he should have done during the day. Leaves employees abandoned in times of need with sour guests. Has been complained about by every front desk staff member and more yet nothing has been done. No one feels good about working for him. Unreal expectations.....

Needham, Ma. Location.

Manage more. Open your eyes and ears.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the best experience, not the best franchise hotel company

I worked at Colwen Hotel Management

Pros

Decent looking hotels, Flexible Schedule, Managers were understanding, Guests enjoy the hotels

Cons

-The interview and getting hired process was already weird to start off. Called in for an "interview" to get hired five minutes after talking and after getting hired and working, I saw the exact process done with other candidates too
    -Training was not invested enough which can lead to a lower satisfaction rate to associates.
    -"Professionalism" is a non existing word to the company. Wearing a suit and tie to work at their hotels is considered overdress
    -Communication within the different divisions of the hotel was not the best
    -Promotion within the staff seems a little strange (I.e. Being an operations manager after working a year in one position)
    -Employee turnover rate is slightly high
    -I was not pleased to hear one of my managers talking bad about their competition in terms of the hotel itself and working for the company
    -At times, it did not feel like I was working at a hotel. Working at a hotel should feel welcoming and friendly. A lot of times, the staff did not want to make any conversations or even small talk with one another, rather, they were all to themselves.

Colwen Hotel is growing in terms of acquiring more hotels and managing/representing outstanding brands including Marriott, Hilton, and Intercontinental Hotel Group. I wish I was able to understand about Colwen Management as a whole and what they truly believe in as well as their ethics with the company.
    Training should really be invested more, especially to those who work part time.
    Recruiting, interviewing, and hiring should also be invested more.
    Rather than always showing concern with guests, considering internal marketing of showing more care and concern to the staff.

Rocky road of Colwen Management

I worked at Colwen Hotel Management full-time

Pros

Small company, promote from within, represent decent brands and also some boutique locations, central and very involved owners, hands on hotels

Cons

Sketchy HR practices, constant changes in senior level management and leadership, high turnover, frequent changes to job descriptions and duties

Worked for Colwen Hotel Management? Contribute to the Community!