ComPsych Reviews

Reset
2.5
ComPsych Chairman and CEO Richard A. Chaifetz
Richard A. Chaifetz

Pros
  • Great location thats it for this company (in 8 reviews)

• It's downtown, great co-workers, no micromanaging (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • micromanagement, low pay, lackluster benefits, dull, little room for growth (in 5 reviews)

• Pay is terrible and the benefits are expensive (in 4 reviews)

Specialist

I worked at ComPsych full-time

Pros

(Glassdoor makes you give a review to look at job postings) Overall, my experience working there was ok. Nice coworkers, free-breakfast Fridays. And the ability to help people who call.

Cons

Some growing pains in certain departments, which has caused turnover.

Advice to Management

Communicate better on IT security changes -- people will feel better about it if they know the reasons behind the increased security.

Good for some, Not for everyone

I have been working at ComPsych full-time

Pros

- Co-workers are enjoyable and most do their best to provide good clinical care - Unlimited snacks (M&M's, juice, and coffee machine) are nice

Cons

- Low Pay - Expensive Benefits - Job can be monotonous at times - It is difficult to

FMLA Specialist

Current Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are very nice. The work is not very difficult, but repetitve. The pay could be better. It is definitely an entry level position. My manager is so nice and is always there if needed. I got training and believe it was crucial to the position.

Cons

Low pay Repetitive work Benefits could be less pricy

FMLA Specialist

I worked at ComPsych

Pros

Good work life balance decent benefits

Cons

big work load no room for growth micro managed expensive benefits small office

Review from a different perspective

Former Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good location Great Co-Workers Improving culture Consistent growth, which creates great opportunities Work life balance Weekly meetings with your manager Overall I had a very positive experience during my time at ComPsych - I started off as a specialist, ended as a manager and was given a lot of responsibilities beyond my experience level. They gave me the opportunity to grow - although I know as the company has stabilized these opportunities are less frequent. There have been prior issues with management and communication across the organization. I can only speak to the FMLA team - but management and human resources are trying very hard to improve the culture and employee engagement. They may not always get it right the first time - but they're trying, which is more than many organizations. The roles here are a CS specialist and Claim specialist. CS is your standard call center, and comes with all of the struggles of working in a call center; assigned lunches and breaks, punctuality enforced and being asked to jump in and take a call. None of these are exclusive to ComPsych - but before taking the job I highly recommend being honest with yourself and ask "am I ok working in a call center environment?" You need to enjoy this kind of work because you will be doing it for a minimum of two years before promoted to a not-production role. So in short - ComPsych used to have its problems - but it's trending upward and quickly. Employee satisfaction and positive work culture are a priority for the organization so I'm hopeful for some great changes in the next year.

Cons

Pay is low and under market for both GRU and FMLA Benefits are very expensive Work can be tedious Young staff means it is a fun work environment, but there is also a lot of unecessary gossip and drama.

Advice to Management

This is more for executive management - since the management team doesn't have much control over it. Evaluate salaries and benefits. An EAP organization should be able to advertise how much they invest in their employees.

Sr. Software Engineer

I worked at ComPsych full-time

Pros

Great team, good architecture of the product and latest technologies.

Cons

Punch in/out, limited access to resources over VPN.

Terrible, don't be fooled by positive reviews

I worked at ComPsych full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free fruit and bagels Coworkers - bonding at unofficial happy hours about how crappy the company is Experience - you'll get to gain experience and work on different tasks, which helps you get a better job elsewhere.

Cons

Pay - very low for the industry. Especially when you have been there more than a year. They offer a monthly bonus....which they tax. Turnover - worst I've ever seen. In 2 years the entire team I started with was gone. At least 3 people quitting per month. Absolutely no attempt to keep quality employees. Instead, they're replaced with clueless employees fresh out of college. Quality work and common sense drastically decreased. Advancement - Being promoted from Specialist to Expert used to be a legitimate promotion. You had a team of specialists you were responsible for. Now it's a free for all. At your one year, expect to be "promoted" along with 6 other people. It's not really a promotion. It's them finally paying you what they should have been paying you when you started taking on tons of other tasks. You'll be doing the same work as an expert that you did as a specialist. Additionally, they have a rule that you have to be in your current role for 1 year before you can apply for another role. Completely unfair for people who had been there 2-5 years and were qualified to be an Account Manager or Trainer. Instead, they'd be promoted to expert, then have to wait another year to be able to even apply for AM. Those roles ended up being filled by external applicants. Benefits - very expensive, especially if you have kids. It's ridiculous that an EAP company that partners with STD vendors doesn't provide STD to it's employees, or even better health benefits. So if you have kids, don't add them. And if you plan on getting pregnant, make sure you add on STD...which you'll have to pay out of your own pocket.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Stop letting quality employees walk out of the door.

I was let go my first week

Former Employee - Guidance Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Guidance Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych

Pros

The location was pretty cool.

Cons

I was fresh out of grad school and totally pumped to have found a job, especially in such a cool location. I was eager and ready to learn. I made an honest mistake my second or third day on the job and they decided to let me go. I was devastated. Right away the trainer had given us full access to the database so we could learn the system. My brother had passed away the year before from a mental illness, and I was curious to see if he had reached out to an EAP service. I decided to type his name in. I realize now I shouldn't have done this, but hindsight is 20/20 and I was grieving, hoping for some answers. Our trainer never warned us that this kind of thing would be grounds for termination. Had I known that, I would have never done it. I just wanted to do a good job. I confided in a coworker that I had searched my brother's name, not knowing that it was wrong. He decided that he needed to tell management what I had done. He had said, "it's best to come clean. They monitor what we do on the computers anyway so they will probably find out eventually." The next day they called me in to HR, and they had the company attorney waiting there. They told me I was done. Somebody brought in my things from my desk in a plastic bag (including a framed picture of my late brother and I). I was hysterical. I felt so guilty and ashamed and couldn't believe it. This whole experience turned out to probably be the best thing that could have happened. This company does NOT care about their employees or their clients. It is a stifling work atmosphere with horrible pay/benefits and no room to grow. Do not accept a job here. I promise you will thank me some day!

Advice to Management

Advice would only fall on deaf ears, but try learning some compassion.

the worst office job I've ever had

I worked at ComPsych (More than a year)

Pros

You can get a job there when no other companies are hiring, get some experience on your resume and then get a job at a company with better culture, higher benefits and salary, and more respect for its employees.

Cons

Revolving door of incompetent and inadequately trained co-workers. Three full-time recruiters, but only 1 full-time HR person for 400+ employees. Management in the business of caring about individuals and clients expressed utter disdain for clients' employees. Company culture and policies create clock-watcher employees. Toxic upper and middle management treats employees as replaceable widgets, not people.

Great Starter Company..

Current Employee - FMLA Customer Service Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - FMLA Customer Service Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych

Pros

There are many opportunities for advancement. I've been with the organization for almost 1 year and have already advanced three tier levels. Next step will be a promotion.

Cons

Pay would be the only reason that I would consider leaving this organization.

RSS Feed </> Embed