ComPsych

Updated December 15, 2014
2.0

ComPsych Chairman and CEO Richard A. Chaifetz
Richard A. Chaifetz

Pros
  • Great location thats it for this company (in 8 reviews)

• Convenient Downtown Location and great co-workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • micromanagement, low pay, lackluster benefits, dull, little room for growth (in 5 reviews)

• Pay is terrible and the benefits are expensive (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It's not bad

Current Employee - FMLA Specialist
    Current Employee - FMLA Specialist

I have been working at ComPsych full-time

Pros

Fairly easy and stress free. Most of the people are really nice.

Cons

Low pay. Only 3 sick days a year. Having to clock in and out

Treat the employees with more respect and stop micromanaging.

Company Culture

Former Employee - FMLA Claims Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for recent grads is plentiful. Rapid recent growth.

Cons

Work becomes very repetitive. Minimal growth within depts.

Recommend job enrichment and team work opportunities.

Great company to work for.

I worked at ComPsych

Pros

Decent pay and opportunity for part-time employment.

Cons

Branch office in Ft. Lauderdale does not get as many perks as headquarters.

Grossly Misled

Former Employee - FMLA Claims Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Downtown location, Monday-Friday 8:30am-5pm, accessible by public transit.

Cons

I came to this job under the pretense of working as FMLA claims specialist, interviewed for that particular position, the whole nine. Upon starting new hire training, we were told that we would "shadow" the FMLA customer service representatives that work on the call center side. Initially I didn't think too much of it because it is a good idea to understand that portion of the job to be able to effectively perform the claims portion of the job. Imagine my surprise when the next day in training we were shown slides of Customer Service Call Training and told that we would be taking calls until we "stabilize" to move to the training that we were actually hired for--Claims. I was livid because the management had not been transparent in the interview as well as the job posting that I answered.

Hire and train for the job that was advertised. Have the Claims specialists actually shadow OTHER CLAIMS SPECIALISTS, not call center reps. Call center jobs aren't the devil, i'd like to make that clear. However it is unfair to expect an employee to give 100% to a job when management can't be truthful about what job we will actually be doing. I was lucky to leave and be able to pursue other options, however everyone is not that lucky, and subsequently will be stuck doing a job (that they didn't apply for) that they absolutely hate.

Short and Badly Managed

I worked at ComPsych full-time

Pros

You can learn a lot from this company that interacts with a lot of clients in a lot of different sectors. People skills will be honed here and you can affect people's lives in myriad ways.

Cons

Leadership is essentially nonexistent. Training is short and low on institutional knowledge or training paths. Company values are the the bottom line ONLY. Even to the point of exaggerated services to clients. The profit model is built on providing a service that no one knows to use so that the company served can legally cover itself. Lowest cost bidder model.

Value and invest in your people more, and look at ways to make communication between departments easier, rather than compartmentalizing and isolating information so that the same job is done 4 times or is never finished.

Best Job I Ever Had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy going to work every day. The people I work with are nice, and the environment is professional but laid back. At other jobs I’ve had, I have been micromanaged, but here I feel like they trust me to do my job. There is plenty of room to move up both within my department and throughout the company. I have conversations with both my supervisor and director about what path I am on to move forward, they are very encouraging. My supervisor is understanding (within reason) of issues in day to day life, and the few times I needed to take a last minute vacation day or work from home, she was nothing but nice. The team itself is very supportive and we all ask each question all day. For me it is a good balance for working individually, but still on a team. It would not be a good job for someone that is really needs constant support or hates helping others.

ComPsych is also constantly making changes to try and improve, which cannot be said for many places. They give us bagels or fruit on Fridays, and always have healthy snacks and juice available in the kitchen. I have worked here almost 2 years, and in that time I have seen them add the juice and snacks as a way to make the office better. Overall, this a good job and I am happy. I had just read a few negative reviews that I feel aren't true for me or my department, so I decided to post. I have nothing to gain, so you can take my review or leave it.

Cons

I love working downtown, but I could see how it may be a hassle for someone else.

Low pay and no opportunity for growth

Current Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are good, 8:30-5:00. You will make friendships with your peers bonding over how much the company sucks.

Cons

Everything is micromanaged, no opportunity for growth, they prefer to hire from the outside for leadership roles, if you do get the rare chance to change positions, they call it a lateral move with no pay raise. Due to employee dissatisfaction, there is very high turnover, so they are always understaffed. You get 3 sick days a year. There are about 150 employees on the floor and only 2 of them are allowed to take the same day off for vacation so be prepared to only get a vacation day on a random wednesday in March. If you work there for a year, you become a senior specialist which is the same pay rate, but you get to field escalated calls all day. Management has a philosophy of "If you dont like it, then quit. There are plenty of recent college grads desperate for work to take your place until they reach the same situation as you. wash rinse repeat."

CEO is cheap, really only interested in lining his own pockets. Has a business model of hiring entry-level talent at low pay and let more senior employees walk away if they ask for a raise. Not many employees make it much past a year of employment.

Very Surprised

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A friend of mine referred me to ComPsych. I wasn't too excited about the opportunity, but I needed a job. I was totally surprised. My co-workers were amazing and the fast paced work environment made the days fly by. There are definitely some areas that could be improved, but this was a perfect first job for me. I learned an incredible amount and gained great experience. I've gone back to school now, but I feel like I am much better prepared for the next job after I get my Masters degree.

Cons

Career development opportunities within the company not always clearly communicated.

Company may want to consider investing in a meditation room or rest area to "re-charge our batteries".

Worst Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I made one of my best life-long friends here, despite the soul-crushing environment.

Cons

Where to begin?
    -Our team was micro-managed and chastised about time wasting, despite my boss taking multiple personal calls throughout the day to chit-chat with her husband about movies and television shows.
    -The company itself offers horrendous "benefits." Here's a real-life example: I had to tell a woman she was denied coverage for not having pre-authorization to take an ambulance—she was unconscious in the back of an ambulance and because she physically was unable to call our company to ask whether or not she could take the ambulance, which she was ENTITLED TO, we flat-out denied her coverage for it.
    -Who uses a punch-in/punch-out system for salaried employees? What a distasteful joke.

Your company has a lot of high-stress departments and yet everyone is expected to pretend it's an easy job. You specialize in mental health! You know what leads to mental breakdown, and yet you march right along that path. Insane. How about this: do things to help your employees have better mental health while working in a stressful environment. Celebrate milestones and achievements. Build a sense of camaraderie between workers. Take out all of the little morale-busters like salaried punching in/out. it's 2014. Get with the program.

Hand down the worst job I've ever had

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bagel Friday & down town location

Cons

I really wish I had done my research before even applying. This is the worst job I've ever had.
    They monitor your bathroom breaks & question why you would be gone for 5 minutes from your desk. They will not prepare you for the "call experience" it's a call center, you are confined to your cube and headset. There are no after work events and the people you work with will be complete strangers. You will do nothing but answer call after call. The most depressing part is they teach you to be a robot when talking to people with SERIOUS HEALTH CONDITIONS. These people look at you as the enemies which then makes you annoyed with them. They focus on call volume not call quality and will actually ask you why a phone call took too long, as if it's something you can control. They do not want you to be compassionate and if you show human emotion will question how you can better direct calls. You will not be allowed to console & after many a phone calls you will find yourself emotionally drained.
    "Promotions" don't exist here. They will give you more responsibilities but pay you the same as people with less. They also keep you in the dark as to when you can advance and always tell you to follow up with someone else for answers. They give you nothing but empty promises. You only get promotions after a year because the turn over rate is about 93% in the first year.
    I have actually cried at my desk on more than one occasion.
    They make you feel guilty when requesting time off even months on advance & someone quits at least once a week.

DO NOT WORK HERE ...unless you're actually a robot

Stop throwing information at people and then expecting them to figure it out. Don't call power point presentations training. Stop bribing employees with Rolex's after working here for 10 years. If anyone is crazy enough to work at this place for 10 years GIVE THEM A RAISE!