ComPsych Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
2.0

ComPsych Chairman and CEO Richard A. Chaifetz
Richard A. Chaifetz

Pros
  • Great location thats it for this company (in 8 reviews)

• Convenient Downtown Location and great co-workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low and barely enough to make it living in Chicago (in 6 reviews)

• micromanagement, low pay, lackluster benefits, dull, little room for growth (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Short and Badly Managed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time

Pros

You can learn a lot from this company that interacts with a lot of clients in a lot of different sectors. People skills will be honed here and you can affect people's lives in myriad ways.

Cons

Leadership is essentially nonexistent. Training is short and low on institutional knowledge or training paths. Company values are the the bottom line ONLY. Even to the point of exaggerated services to clients. The profit model is built on providing a service that no one knows to use so that the company served can legally cover itself. Lowest cost bidder model.

Value and invest in your people more, and look at ways to make communication between departments easier, rather than compartmentalizing and isolating information so that the same job is done 4 times or is never finished.

Best Job I Ever Had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy going to work every day. The people I work with are nice, and the environment is professional but laid back. At other jobs I’ve had, I have been micromanaged, but here I feel like they trust me to do my job. There is plenty of room to move up both within my department and throughout the company. I have conversations with both my supervisor and director about what path I am on to move forward, they are very encouraging. My supervisor is understanding (within reason) of issues in day to day life, and the few times I needed to take a last minute vacation day or work from home, she was nothing but nice. The team itself is very supportive and we all ask each question all day. For me it is a good balance for working individually, but still on a team. It would not be a good job for someone that is really needs constant support or hates helping others.

ComPsych is also constantly making changes to try and improve, which cannot be said for many places. They give us bagels or fruit on Fridays, and always have healthy snacks and juice available in the kitchen. I have worked here almost 2 years, and in that time I have seen them add the juice and snacks as a way to make the office better. Overall, this a good job and I am happy. I had just read a few negative reviews that I feel aren't true for me or my department, so I decided to post. I have nothing to gain, so you can take my review or leave it.

Cons

I love working downtown, but I could see how it may be a hassle for someone else.

Low pay and no opportunity for growth

I have been working at ComPsych full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hours are good, 8:30-5:00. You will make friendships with your peers bonding over how much the company sucks.

Cons

Everything is micromanaged, no opportunity for growth, they prefer to hire from the outside for leadership roles, if you do get the rare chance to change positions, they call it a lateral move with no pay raise. Due to employee dissatisfaction, there is very high turnover, so they are always understaffed. You get 3 sick days a year. There are about 150 employees on the floor and only 2 of them are allowed to take the same day off for vacation so be prepared to only get a vacation day on a random wednesday in March. If you work there for a year, you become a senior specialist which is the same pay rate, but you get to field escalated calls all day. Management has a philosophy of "If you dont like it, then quit. There are plenty of recent college grads desperate for work to take your place until they reach the same situation as you. wash rinse repeat."

CEO is cheap, really only interested in lining his own pockets. Has a business model of hiring entry-level talent at low pay and let more senior employees walk away if they ask for a raise. Not many employees make it much past a year of employment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Surprised

I have been working at ComPsych full-time for more than a year

Pros

A friend of mine referred me to ComPsych. I wasn't too excited about the opportunity, but I needed a job. I was totally surprised. My co-workers were amazing and the fast paced work environment made the days fly by. There are definitely some areas that could be improved, but this was a perfect first job for me. I learned an incredible amount and gained great experience. I've gone back to school now, but I feel like I am much better prepared for the next job after I get my Masters degree.

Cons

Career development opportunities within the company not always clearly communicated.

Company may want to consider investing in a meditation room or rest area to "re-charge our batteries".

Worst Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time for more than a year

Pros

I made one of my best life-long friends here, despite the soul-crushing environment.

Cons

Where to begin?
    -Our team was micro-managed and chastised about time wasting, despite my boss taking multiple personal calls throughout the day to chit-chat with her husband about movies and television shows.
    -The company itself offers horrendous "benefits." Here's a real-life example: I had to tell a woman she was denied coverage for not having pre-authorization to take an ambulance—she was unconscious in the back of an ambulance and because she physically was unable to call our company to ask whether or not she could take the ambulance, which she was ENTITLED TO, we flat-out denied her coverage for it.
    -Who uses a punch-in/punch-out system for salaried employees? What a distasteful joke.

Your company has a lot of high-stress departments and yet everyone is expected to pretend it's an easy job. You specialize in mental health! You know what leads to mental breakdown, and yet you march right along that path. Insane. How about this: do things to help your employees have better mental health while working in a stressful environment. Celebrate milestones and achievements. Build a sense of camaraderie between workers. Take out all of the little morale-busters like salaried punching in/out. it's 2014. Get with the program.

Hand down the worst job I've ever had

I have been working at ComPsych full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bagel Friday & down town location

Cons

I really wish I had done my research before even applying. This is the worst job I've ever had.
    They monitor your bathroom breaks & question why you would be gone for 5 minutes from your desk. They will not prepare you for the "call experience" it's a call center, you are confined to your cube and headset. There are no after work events and the people you work with will be complete strangers. You will do nothing but answer call after call. The most depressing part is they teach you to be a robot when talking to people with SERIOUS HEALTH CONDITIONS. These people look at you as the enemies which then makes you annoyed with them. They focus on call volume not call quality and will actually ask you why a phone call took too long, as if it's something you can control. They do not want you to be compassionate and if you show human emotion will question how you can better direct calls. You will not be allowed to console & after many a phone calls you will find yourself emotionally drained.
    "Promotions" don't exist here. They will give you more responsibilities but pay you the same as people with less. They also keep you in the dark as to when you can advance and always tell you to follow up with someone else for answers. They give you nothing but empty promises. You only get promotions after a year because the turn over rate is about 93% in the first year.
    I have actually cried at my desk on more than one occasion.
    They make you feel guilty when requesting time off even months on advance & someone quits at least once a week.

DO NOT WORK HERE ...unless you're actually a robot

Stop throwing information at people and then expecting them to figure it out. Don't call power point presentations training. Stop bribing employees with Rolex's after working here for 10 years. If anyone is crazy enough to work at this place for 10 years GIVE THEM A RAISE!

No Thanks

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time for less than a year

Pros

bagel day, free field museum access, cool downtown location

Cons

micromanagement, low pay, lackluster benefits, dull, little room for growth

stop treating employees as disposable, invest more time into training, stop making employees feel like they are in trouble for not being robots that never get sick or take a day off

An EAP service provider that touts providing the best HR services that has the worst to its own employees.

Current Employee - Java Developer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych full-time

Pros

Location even full time employees have to punch in and punch out. This guarantees no one really works overtime. Very smart business plan overall.

Cons

Lack of structure, lack of visibility, very slow to change.

Somethings they are trying to improve slowly ie. benefits. However, Richard Chaifetz is estimated to be worth 1B+, benefits can definitely be better. Worst 401k options, CFO is a Booth graduate which is known for its Finance program, however 401k investment choices have the worst expense fees. There is a rumor that there is some contract with ING Direct and this is the reason for the bad choices. Health care plans are also not on par with many companies.

I would not recommend working here or doing business with ComPsych

I have been working at ComPsych full-time

Pros

Similar to the other reviews, the only positive of the company is the location and co-workers.

Cons

-Starting salary is 30K which is impossible to live in Chicago, especially if you have a family to support, single mother, or have student loans.
    -Time and attendance policy- if you have two absences in a 90 day period you get written up. This is a challenge especially if you have children who get sick or have schools close in the winter due to weather.
    -All employees have to clock in and out even if they are salaried. Morale is so low everyone leaves the second the clock turns 5.
    - Health Insurance is extremely expensive. ComPsych does FMLA administration for other companies but offers only an unpaid leave for 12 weeks and does not offer short-term disability. If you are trying to start a family, I recommend not working here because you will not have paid short-term disability.
    -Turnover is really high. Management will not increase salaries past $30,000 because they only care about cutting costs so employees who work here just accept the job until they can find something better. There is a constant movement of people and everyone is so checked out. The clients have to deal with a bunch of untrained employees who are not committed to ComPsych. If you look on their careers website the same jobs are always posted because turnover is so high.
    -Technology is so dated. I have seen better technology at companies 10 years ago.
    -The company is cheap and management only cares about cutting costs. They don't invest in their employees, training the employees, or technology. I believe there are a lot of competitors out there they must have invested internally that would develop better solutions for their clients. After working here, I could never recommend to people to use ComPsych because everything is so dated . I recommend using another EAP company.
    -My department had such high turnover due to the manager, and nothing was done about it. Management is very old fashion and their solution is to just fire people.
    -The company thinks by planning pizza parties, going to a movie theater for the holiday party, or giving free snacks will help increase morale. Leadership avoids the more challenging employee problems (giving people a decent wage in treating employees better, making employees feel valued, getting rid of managers who can't do their jobs) to really help with the high turnover.
    -There is no communication from the CEO or any of the leaders regarding the business. There was no updates at the end of the year to say thank you for your work or update on how the company is doing.

It is sickening how you treat your employees when you are an EAP company. There is more to running a company than just making profits. Employees who are leaving that did not have a good experience are spreading the word how bad the company is. They are telling friends and family who could be current clients or potential clients which is just going to hurt your business or make it harder to hire new people.

They build you up only to throw you to the ground. Then kick you.

Former Employee - FMLA Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - FMLA Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time for more than a year

Pros

The IT department is wonderful, both management and employees. The coworkers are young but they are eager to learn and provide moral support. Florida department is wonderful as well - both Management and employees.

You will learn more here in one year than most learn in 5 years, if you can stomach everything else going on.

Cons

**Team leads admitted to posting fake reviews, because the VP is getting so much heat for Glassdoor - one of many examples of Team Leaders operating out of fear not in the best interest of employees.**

Pushed around or pushed out - team leads AND employees can either agree with the VP's "plans" or get ignored or verbally attacked.

Lack of transparency - finding out you are on a different team because a department wide announcement was made, before anyone even asked you if you wanted a job change, before you knew your team no longer existed.

Inaccurate data - Quality data is inaccurate because Team Leads don't want to be verbally attacked in the ops meetings. Attrition rate reported to senior management is inaccurate (management omits resignation notices so they can be spread out).

Turning a blind eye - HR is aware of the sad state of FMLA but has yet to address it or even inquire. Not even a reminder email that they are willing to listen.

Salaries are among the lowest in the market. I was made two offers before I left, each more than 20k higher than my Compsych salary.

Clean house. Stop worrying about the basketball team you want to buy and start putting that money towards hiring competent employees. When you hire below market, you spend money training and growing employees only so they can be snatched up by your competitors - which is where we all end up going. 60 open recs sounds like a desperate cry for help from your employees.

ComPsych Photos

Worked for ComPsych? Contribute to the Community!