Combined Insurance

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brad Bennett

Pros:
  • "Very detailed sales model with good training and good field support if you have the right manager"
    in 6 reviews
  • "One of the main reasons I'm glad I worked for Combined was the general experience and insight gained from doing door-to-door sales"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Driving it is a door to door sales position so it requires you to drive to all your clients"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Must work long hours and be very persistent to make enough sales"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company with a philosophy of Positive Mental Attitude

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGood people, very supportive toward the sales force

ConsBasically commission sales but with good products

Can be stressful

ProsGreat training on sales techniques, and they continue the training everyday with in office and in field training by TM's

ConsBeing a straight commission job you don't get paid for customer service but customer service is important to any good sales to keep sales on the books. Makes it hard to keep accounts on the books. Went to many customers that wanted to drop coverage because of lack of customer service but no incentive for agents to perform it with no compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some compensation for customer service, you need the service to get the sales and keep them on the books.

Nope don't bother with your time

Prossix month salary is great for starters

ConsUn achievable base goals after six months

Advice to Senior ManagementChange pay structure less front end more even

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good start in the Voluntary Benefits Industry - Very hard work required

Dallas, TX

ProsOne week intense training in Chicago is very good. Field training and support is available after the initial class room style training. Small stipend for first 6 weeks and great new hire bonus schedule that's realistic to achieve. Some leads provided. Great incentive plans. Benefits offered after 6 months to a year depending on the specific benefit.

ConsNeed to be highly motivated with good work ethic! Cold calling is a must! The leads that are provided are often over worked and cherry picked prior to distribution. The potential income is largely exaggerated. Name recognition is not what it should be competitively. Most importantly, one is often very surprised by one's expected paycheck. 100% commission job that's not a true con unless you don't understand that. 6 weeks of a stipend isn't much for an inexperienced agent. Don't leave a steady secure paycheck for promises of grandeur!

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more competitive products. Need better broker compensation to help establish relationships. Need to be honest and realistic with recruits. Quality over quantity should become a business practice.

Horrible Experiece.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsGood Products not much else to add. OK training. Compensation just ok. Benefits are good. Best thing is 401k. Too much ra ra.

ConsLied to from day one. Told there was paid traing.Did not happen. Looked for ways to get out of paying it. Managers just care about overides.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to potential employees,Start paying some salaries.

Good to experience but only toughest can live on it

Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsGreat training to get a head start with all useful tic-tac.

ConsYou will need to worked on over advertised people and getting checked by managers literally every single moment.

Excellent training and support

Atlanta, GA

ProsYou set your on hours. Excellent commission for sales. You also get residual commission. Big push for salesforce right now. Excellent place to start for someone new to the business. Base weekly salary for the 1st six months.

ConsCold calling and canvassing is tough. Lots of rejection but you just have to keep going. The sales opportunities are there, you just have to find them.

Advice to Senior ManagementLooks like you are heading in the right direction.

Incompetent training

Los Angeles, CA

ProsClassroom training to get agents to set goals, create 'positive mental attitude". Some form of training is offered, which is basically unheard of nowadays.

ConsClassroom training on canned sales pitch, ad nauseum. No or very little product knowledge/underwriting training. This blew up when I discovered management did not know limitations of coverage. In short time I was with Combined, a very high percentage of former clients we called on said they cancelled due to claims not being paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementDivide up training to 1/3 to 1/2 sales, the rest divided up between product knowledge and underwriting.

Combined was a great proving for me for the insurace industry.

Former Sales Agent and Former Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Newport News, VA

ProsAs a seasoned independant insurance agent i can say combined insurance companies initial sales training is second to none. They stick to a simple sales pitch for the basic type insurance in their product line for the for the type of clients they market to and thier needs. because of the lead "cards" there is pleanty of potential clients to see but it does take the agent to turn on the car ignition if you know what i mean. The lead cards are not true lead cards as the rest of us out here are concerned in th brokers world but the good thing is its "free" people to see and in this economy free is always good try paying $500.00 to $1500.00 a month just to a face that might buy.

ConsA gerat working oganisation works well when the "LEFT HAND KNOWS WHAT THE RIGHT HAND IS DOING" I am reffering to the sales managers and up. There is a differnce between being busy and being effective. Lets face it with all the meeting and confrence calls if we dont manage our time or prioritise correctly we become worn out being busy buy not efficient thats the reason for being burned out and broke. (high turrnover) why do i know this i was the top sales agent company wide ( U.S. life division 1998) with 465 life and disabiliy polocies sold in the 50 wk contest i had to have my ducks in a row. keep it simple build a solid foundation then you can build a great home you can be proud of and it will last we all want to see the fruit of our labor it just feel good and we do what feels good dont we?

Advice to Senior ManagementLook out im coming bach to a state near you! Balance is the key to health, family, and our finance. Treat other as you would want to be treated. Easy to say but much harder to do consistanly.

Not the experience that I thought I would gain

Newburgh, NY

ProsThey provide "leads" meaning you can go exploit their customer base, however these people have been over worked to the bone. The whole PMA philosophy and Mr. Stones principles is a good creed to live by. The quarterly meetings were cool, as you mingled with top agents and got a free and tasty lunch.

ConsThe income potential here is not what they make it out to be. The base accident policy is only $15.17 so you can imagine that it will take a lot of sales to make a decent living. Like every sales job, this potential to make money depends on you, however, combined has one way of marketing, DOOR KNOCKING! They do not advertise and the customers base that they give you are not only dried up for sales and have no reason to buy, but they also say things like "I gave 5 referrals to the guy that was here last time". Monday morning meetings in my territory were a joke, we would have to sit through 1 hour long of "good news speakers" of the agents saying how they got their sales but none of it helped me personally.
    So if you like talking to people about insurance and not being able to build a relationship with them at all this job is for you. Our manager texted us every single sale that the team made as motivation and I would hear him flirt with the women sales people. This job/career was a joke for me and unless you work in a new and poor area, this will be a sinking ship for you too n

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe the manager should go out and actually evaluate and train the sales team rather then selling for them and making believe that the person is learning. Stop texting out the sales numbers its very annoying. To my TM I realize that this is the best position that you could have gained in your simple little life but instead of telling us how great the company trip was, tell us how the insurance that we sell can fit into a persons life and help them.

Worked for Combined Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Combined Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Combined Insurance CEO Brad Bennett. All 119 reviews posted anonymously by Combined Insurance employees.