Combined Insurance Reviews

222 reviews filtered by
2.9
Combined Insurance President Brad Bennett
Brad Bennett

Pros
  • Great positive mental attitude atmosphere (in 8 reviews)

• The advantages of working for Combined are the initial training of its products and sale culture or the PMA (positive mental attitude) philosophy (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Driving it is a door to door sales position so it requires you to drive to all your clients (in 11 reviews)

• Territory managers have poor coaching skills and therefore micromanage their agents (in 12 reviews)

1. Could Definitely Do Better and More for Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and team spirit.

Cons

No upward mobility. The glass ceiling smacked me in the face.

Advice to Management

Too pragmatic. No real change except a reduction in force.

2. Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Insurance products and Management does it's best to help in every way to make to sucessful. For top producers they offer nice trips and bonuses.

Cons

They pay you $500 week for first 3 months then it goes away and you are 100% commission. If you do well this is okay but 3 months is not enough to get going management should consider changing to 6 months to a year before making you go 100%.

Growing company

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance
    Opportunities for advancement
    Growing Company, looking to expand in multiple areas
    Good culture/Fun people

Cons

Communication can be difficult sometimes, as we have many employees in the field (not all are office-based)

Advice to Management

While I feel there was a lack of innovation here in the past, I feel like recently that trend has reversed. You should continue encouraging and implementing innovation.

Combined Insurance- A great place to work

Current Employee - Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Combined Insurance

Pros

Combined Insurance has an amazingly effective training and onboarding program. As an industry veteran, I see the difference investing in the training and support of new agents makes.

Cons

I don't see any cons. This a program that can support either the novice or veteran agent in achieving their goals.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what it is your doing. Keep improving the lives of others while improving the lives of our employees.

4 years later - Combined continues to reward my hardwork

I have been working at Combined Insurance

Pros

Competive salaries plus additional compensation and bonuses, excellent benefits, extensive and inovative resources/tools, flexibility, opportunity for advancement (focus to promote/develop from within), strong team/family like environment, winning culture, stability (90+ years in business), progressive and continuous training, caring and dependable leadership team.

Cons

Must be willing to go the extra mile and be very organized to maximize the comp plan, those do not perform are not a good fit for this organization. Expectations can be achieved/succeeded by doing the minimum activity.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop top talent.

Excellent income Opportunity is available for those that choose to succeed...

Current Employee - Divisional Recruiter
    Current Employee - Divisional Recruiter

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Am able to work from home and have the flexibility that I need to maintain a work/home balance.

Cons

As in any job, if you are not able to be flexible, adaptable and trainable, you will have difficulty in achieving the income you desire.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain an open line of communication to help us grow and do the best we can. Continue to provide us with the training we need to increase our skill set.

Don't buy into their lies

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Manchester, NH

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trip to Chicago, interesting training, new ways to "spin the truth"

Most of the pros they give you will turn into cons tho so beware.

Cons

**Also You are forced into W2 so you can't claim anything tax wise. But, you can't sell any other products or insurance even if they don't compete.

1) The biggest lie here is the "You can set your own hours, work the days you want, etc" So it's true in a sense because they don't pay you an hourly wage but they expect you to work 40+ hours a week every week. Let me explain.

They give you a town/city to work and expect you in the "field" from at least 8am-4pm mon-friday. Now on top of that they expect you to make calls at night to set appointments. they expect you to make night calls/appointments. They also expect you to go out on the weekend if you havn't got your goal for the week, and even if you get your goal for the week they pressure you to go out and work the weekend to make extra sales. Plus any meetings are mandatory and unpaid... There have been all day sales meetings and trainings and then they expect you to go make up for the time you lost.

2) Set your own goals- That is also a lie because they pressure you to do more no matter what your goal is. No matter how low or high it is. This is very frustrating because you can work so hard for a number or feel good about reaching it and they will say that it isn't enough or go tell you do double that the next day. It's all very impersonal and cold feeling.

3) Its door to door sales and cold calls. You can talk to 100 people and be lucky if you get 1 yes. Even if you get somebody to sign up now you have to hope that the application is 100% perfect or they will just throw it away. It can also get rejected because of their health so in reality you need to go though 500 people to get to that 1.

4) They don't pay claims- Just look up past reviews or just ask their customers.

5) If somebody cancels a policy you get a chargeback so now you have to go sign up 2 more people to even get a paycheck.

6) The renewal rate they pay is next to nothing. Which means you will always have to keep selling and there is no way you are ever going to retire from this.

7) The binder you need to sell the products along with all the applications makes the bag about 40-50lbs that you have to carry around and makes you look ridicilious.

8) Nobody likes the door to door so you will get treated like crap the whole time you do this job. Your selling a product that isn't affordable to most of these people for coverage that isn't worth the original cost. Which makes you feel worse about having to go around selling the product.

9) They lie and make it seem as if when you get this job people just beg to sign up and in reality your begging people to sign up and they are just going to cancel it the month after.

10) They are your customers- The biggest lie, it's their customer now! They send "your" customer mail every week talking about the new product and ways to sign up for stuff without your help online. But you can't even sell these products online....

Advice to Management

Don't just lie to people to get employees in the door and get the $500 sign up incentive. If you want employees to stay then they need to know what they are signing up for and not just the "dream"

Poor leadership ruins team morale

Current Employee - Recruiter in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits, PTO, paid holidays and work hours etc

Cons

the raises in the company are a complete insult- and management doesnt even have meetings with employees to discuss the raises they will be given...completely unprofessional/ the salary for this role is highly below standard as well

Advice to Management

The leaders you position in a role make all the difference. Our current VP has destroyed this team and the morale.

Honorably discharged from sales boot camp then went awol...

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I worked at Combined Insurance

Pros

The training was first rate if you are an overachiever that feels compelled to please the teacher. If you find over the top displays of good cheer and rah rah attitude embarrassing, you might reconsider the job.

Cons

See above. It just didn't fit me.

Advice to Management

Its insurance SALES people. Enough said.

Beware

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Could be successful if this is your entire LIFE!

Cons

You need money in order to pay for your expenses up front. Only way to get expense money back is by filing deductions on your annual taxes; problem is you are reported by company as a W2 employee when there is NO wage paid. Work only on bonuses and commissions. Not a stable company at all!

Advice to Management

Training in the field compromises everything learned in 2 week training program at Corporate Office.

Combined Insurance Photos