Combined Insurance

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Combined Insurance President Brad Bennett
Brad Bennett

Pros
  • Great positive mental attitude atmosphere (in 8 reviews)

• The advantages of working for Combined are the initial training of its products and sale culture or the PMA (positive mental attitude) philosophy (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Driving it is a door to door sales position so it requires you to drive to all your clients (in 11 reviews)

• Territory managers have poor coaching skills and therefore micromanage their agents (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Dissatisfied Former Employee

Former Employee - Sale Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sale Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great corporate culture, training, ability to help people with low priced accident and sickness policies. Everyone goes to Chicago for 11 days of training on company.

Cons

Management not always clear on what it takes to motivate sales people to productivity. Some managers compete with agents by focusing more on what they write than their own agents. Lots of turn over of agents. Sometimes I felt like Combined was behind the times in their sales approach ( agents expected to go door to door to sell policies). If you are interested in a career in sales you may want to consider other options than Combined. The general public has no idea who Combined is because they do zero advertising which does not help the agent when it comes to company recognition.

Territory Managers need to focus more on making sure the agents under them make money and less on their own pocket books. High turnover of staff is not a sign of stability for a company 100 years old. By now there should have been some changes internally that are enforced. It makes no sense to spend all that money to train people who do not last. Focus more on retention and increased sales will follow. Finally, an agent who is getting paid every week will stay around longer than one who is starving and cannot feed his family.

A total waste of several months.

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Lansing, MI

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I see no good reason to work for this company.

Cons

Dealing with customers who do not get their claims paid.

Spend a little more time with the customers you have and maybe you wont have to spend so much time looking for new ones. The happy ones will refer the new ones.

Okay for an insurance company- they all promise you can make Six Figures...lol - but if you go to work, you can make $$

I worked at Combined Insurance

Pros

Free Basic Pension Plan, Simple to understand, in demand and affordable supplemental benefits portfolio. Quick and easy claims service. If you are not lazy, as an Agent, you can earn 50k-60K+ realistically first year commission + bonuses. A+ rated by AM BEST. 92 years in business. Some room for upward mobility in your career. Agents have freedom to make their own work schedule outside of a couple weekly team meetings. The company does provide excellent sales training on the company's dime, and provides a good track to run on especially for those who have never worked in the insurance industry. If you are willing to take a risk, there can be a reward for your efforts.

Cons

Long hours, very little work/life balance for managers. Many have quit and 80% are failing. They put tremendous pressure on management for daily sales results and make you feel bad when the week doesn't go well. It's not fun to be in the spotlight for the wrong reasons. Sales always comes with its ups and downs. Compensation for agents is commission + bonus only. Territory Managers are paid a laughable salary for all the work they do and put in 12 hour days. It works out to about $8.33/hr. Combined controls the management like they own you 24 hours a day because they pay you this piddlin salary. Skilled professionals deserve much better, but we have corporate executives to thank for the low pay, and they think it's too much to pay us. Agents and Account Executives can out earn a territory manager any day of the week. If you are a good agent for them, DON'T take the promotion to TM. You will make less money and suffer severely financially. Managers have to pay for their daily travel expenses out of their own pockets. The company reimburses ZILCH.

Good Company, Bad decisions

Former Employee - Retention in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retention in Chicago, IL

I worked at Combined Insurance as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great Incentives, Semi-relaxed atmosphere, There isn't a lot of micro managing here, for the most part you are allowed to just do your job. My Immediate Supervisor was really respectful. I gained a passion for more knowledge of the insurance business. There are a lot ways to keep your motivation high, like food days(yes they feed you) and an in-house food court. The potential to win gift cards to places you actually shop, And other company events. no weekend or evening shifts.

Cons

Company decided to retain and train employees that were not in my opinion good fits for the positions, One that they paid for and gave to opportunity to take the licensing exam failed the exam to my understanding more than three times, Which the company had to pay for ALL THREE TIMES whereas some including myself were not given the opportunity to even take the exam Once. Another to my understanding could pass a drug screening. Another was just promised a job because well i don't know maybe past experience. Even though i had been there longer and had proven my ability with high performance and enthusiasm.

Pay attention to who actually wants to do the work versus who you can go out n have a cigarette with. You made bad decisions and attempted to hire employees using high school politics instead of proven ability. You are a good company that can do better. Fire management that makes these bad decisions.

It's nice

I have been working at Combined Insurance

Pros

It appears that they keep there employees long

Cons

Deadlines can be overwhelming sometimes

Fantastic Opportunity

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All of my co-workers, past and present, have all been great to work with. It always feels like we are a team and everyone makes being in the office a good time. The managers treat you with respect and seem to value your opinions and what you have to say. Also, the benefits package is great and the vacation time that you accrue is fantastic.

Cons

Nothing that i can currently think of.

Caring management team and great advancement potential

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working for Combined Insurance for a couple of years now and I would say that the opportunities I have been presented with are definitely worth the effort and time that I have put in. Combined Insurance definitely puts in the time and money to make sure that you are properly trained before you start the position on your own. I would definitely reccommend Combined as a company to look into.

Cons

No cons as of yet.

Great job

Great company!

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time

Pros

I have been with Combined for a few years and it is a wonderful place to work at. Great people and and very rewarding. You will definitely be noticed for the hard work.

Cons

Have not come across any cons as of yet.

Fantastic company!

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are just incredible. Everyone is willing to lend a hand and help you in any way that you need.
    Benefits- excellent. Promtion from within- excellent. Incentives- excellent.
    They want you to succeed and will do everything they can to help you reach your goals.

Cons

The only complaint I have is that I am not able to meet everyone that we hire.

Keep up the good work!

My PMA got PMS

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Riverside, CA

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're unemployed, but have a life insurance license... they'll hire you. In California, they'll reimburse you for your mileage expenses in cash.
    You'll learn how to do cold-call phone prospecting during your time at sales school. You'll also learn to do b2b sales calls and stops with your TM during your 1st week in the field.

Cons

- 3 different managers calling you to 'coach' you with different methods. That's called 'diffusion' and it's quite annoying.

- Text-based management/nagging. I don't fault my TM... he's just doing to us what was done to him.

- Too much emphasis on selling/updating information on prior sold policies. Those 'lead cards' are a crutch and a waste of time. I was given BOXES of those things... and all it did was serve to distract me from doing real prospecting. It's quite annoying to be the 5th Combined agent to call on these people over time. Makes them wonder what's wrong with the company for having so much agent turnover.

- The selling process taught at sales school is too much of an interruption when going business-to-business. "In 5 minutes I can show you how you can get paid cash in the event of an emergency. It's fast, easy, and hassle-free." Well, thanks for the verbal spam... but if you're not invited, you're not going to get very far very often. It's rude... and when salespeople are taught to be rude... they won't keep prospecting because they know they are being rude.

- Product line SUCKS... partly due to California law requiring that the policy owner own a health insurance policy before being able to buy hospital indemnity, cancer, & critical illness. Their DI policy is the WORST I've ever seen for anyone working for someone else. A $500 monthly benefit... for people earning $20k - $70k... and then it can be reduced by up to 40% with state benefits? I'd rather buy a REAL DI policy from a company that would start a monthly benefit around $3,000 or so. I mean really, what's the point of this DI policy? Good only for business owners, not for anyone else. Also, no term life insurance for the individual rep to sell? Only non-par whole life up to $100k? You can't do proper life insurance planning with such low limits.

Let your TMs do their job.

Let TMs leave the sales agents alone to do their job during the day and simply return and report by a given time.

Revamp your product line in California. Increase DI limits for employees as a start.

Keep your focus on finding and selling new customers. Get rid of the lead cards.

Combined Insurance Photos