Combined Insurance

Updated November 21, 2014
3.2

Combined Insurance President Brad Bennett
Brad Bennett

Pros
  • Great positive mental attitude atmosphere (in 8 reviews)

• The advantages of working for Combined are the initial training of its products and sale culture or the PMA (positive mental attitude) philosophy (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Driving it is a door to door sales position so it requires you to drive to all your clients (in 11 reviews)

• Territory managers have poor coaching skills and therefore micromanage their agents (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic company!

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are just incredible. Everyone is willing to lend a hand and help you in any way that you need.
    Benefits- excellent. Promtion from within- excellent. Incentives- excellent.
    They want you to succeed and will do everything they can to help you reach your goals.

Cons

The only complaint I have is that I am not able to meet everyone that we hire.

Keep up the good work!

My PMA got PMS

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Riverside, CA

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're unemployed, but have a life insurance license... they'll hire you. In California, they'll reimburse you for your mileage expenses in cash.
    You'll learn how to do cold-call phone prospecting during your time at sales school. You'll also learn to do b2b sales calls and stops with your TM during your 1st week in the field.

Cons

- 3 different managers calling you to 'coach' you with different methods. That's called 'diffusion' and it's quite annoying.

- Text-based management/nagging. I don't fault my TM... he's just doing to us what was done to him.

- Too much emphasis on selling/updating information on prior sold policies. Those 'lead cards' are a crutch and a waste of time. I was given BOXES of those things... and all it did was serve to distract me from doing real prospecting. It's quite annoying to be the 5th Combined agent to call on these people over time. Makes them wonder what's wrong with the company for having so much agent turnover.

- The selling process taught at sales school is too much of an interruption when going business-to-business. "In 5 minutes I can show you how you can get paid cash in the event of an emergency. It's fast, easy, and hassle-free." Well, thanks for the verbal spam... but if you're not invited, you're not going to get very far very often. It's rude... and when salespeople are taught to be rude... they won't keep prospecting because they know they are being rude.

- Product line SUCKS... partly due to California law requiring that the policy owner own a health insurance policy before being able to buy hospital indemnity, cancer, & critical illness. Their DI policy is the WORST I've ever seen for anyone working for someone else. A $500 monthly benefit... for people earning $20k - $70k... and then it can be reduced by up to 40% with state benefits? I'd rather buy a REAL DI policy from a company that would start a monthly benefit around $3,000 or so. I mean really, what's the point of this DI policy? Good only for business owners, not for anyone else. Also, no term life insurance for the individual rep to sell? Only non-par whole life up to $100k? You can't do proper life insurance planning with such low limits.

Let your TMs do their job.

Let TMs leave the sales agents alone to do their job during the day and simply return and report by a given time.

Revamp your product line in California. Increase DI limits for employees as a start.

Keep your focus on finding and selling new customers. Get rid of the lead cards.

Very dissapointing

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Elmsford, NY
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Elmsford, NY

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training. Mgmt okay and residual

Cons

terrible technology. Very limited resources to compete. Door to door business approach outdated. Very limited opportunity

upgrade technology and improve competitiveness

One week of training in Chicago was not enough!

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In theory, it sounds like the compensation is great, I will reserve judgment on that!

Cons

The week long training in Chicago was inadequate. The "team approach" did not work, our team leader preferred to work with members of other teams. There was a mix of "students" who had worked with insurance and other sales such as real estate and vehicles. I felt intimidated by their expertise! A class with all new sales people would have been much better. It seems like everything was rushed to cram it in to one week of training. The final day was spent with the instructor listening to presentations. It seems that if I-Pads are to be issued shortly, we should have had them issued there and learned on them instead of the older method which will be eliminated shortly. That means another session of training which should have been done in the first place instead of weighing us down with 100 pounds (it seemed) of books to transport from motel to training center, back to motel, into study group (which was a joke, as few attended or participated), then back to the motel room to do some independent study for another hour or so.

Make sure your managers allow the new agent to make some presentations! Also make sure that there are cold calls to businesses as well as individuals during training in the field. We only called on current customers with no training on canvassing. Unfortunately, the week long PAL actually amounted to only 2 days in the field with the manager due to a holiday on Monday , calls on Tuesday morning from the rest of the agents to the manager, then travel to distant location, so the first call was about 2 p.m. to a current policy holder. Continued on this vein until through the next day and until noon on the third when we headed back home as the manager had a training meeting on Friday. I traveled alone to another distant location where I had difficulty finding people home or willing to allow me to give a presentation.
    Trying to call on current policyholders is almost impossible as I was not trained in what the old policies did and there is no information available in the book! I will probably just focus on "new face" until I learn some of the information on the other policies. Hopefully, if and when an I-Pad is issued, it will have the benefits of the old policies downloaded for reference.

Good Money/Hard Work

I worked at Combined Insurance

Pros

Great Money, easy barrier to entry.

Cons

Morbid conversations, high stress, a ton of work/time

only "just satisfied" employee

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time

Pros

I have worked here for about 4 years. One thing I noticed was the training is great!! It is for 2 weeks and encompasses ALL types of traininng; classroom, field, and role playing. Also, being W2 is great because company benefits are paid out. Combined is reptuable in the insurance industry and has been around for 90 years; so they are very established.

Cons

Communication is lacking. I feel the 'management' team is playing everyone's best friend versus actually being management and doing what is right. they tend to side with 'friends' and help them out then the other person. I dont agree with it.

I would promote those that are deserving rather than the ones you favor.

Stepping stone...

I have been working at Combined Insurance

Pros

I started here in an entry level position after college. I was not planning on staying with the company long, but the opportunity for growth is unlimited here. If you work hard, your efforts are repaid. Working in the corporate office in Glenview, you see Brad Bennett(CEO) walking around at least 3 times a week. He acknowledges all employees with a kind hello/smile. He is the backbone of Combined and has the right ideas to grow the company.

Cons

When i first started the entry level role, there was little to no training provided. Also, some managers were and are still not helpful. They refer your questions to an online company portal, instead of just helping you.

My advice to upper management is to hire young talent in the Marketing department. It seems this department functions like they are still in the 70s. Fresh ideas could really be helpful!

A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have truly enjoyed my time at Combined Insurance. Everyone is very friendly and always smiling. While holding an entry level position, I am able to interact with upper management, who are all very down to earth and truly want to improve the company. Brad, our CEO, is very charismatic and committed to continuous improvement and even holds small breakfast sessions to get to know all employees in the company. I love the variety of work and enjoy working at both our Glenview and Chicago offices. I have never worked at a company full of such positive people. I have only been working here several months and can see myself working here for many years to come!

Cons

Do not have any cons so far.

Really good growing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For me, the work day ends at 5. I get my work done throughout the day and can leave on time. The office location is great. My pay and benefits are really solid. My management team is top notch and really forward thinking. Company is aligning itself properly to have continued growth.

Cons

Can have to get through a lot of layers to have a new process approved. Can be counter-productive.

Try to step out from ACE a little more.

My thoughts

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, open-minded, variety of characters keeps you engaged and not bored. Changes that happen are usually very positive. From the CEO on down, they are very social and easy to talk with. Very open to discussing business matters even if it is outside of the existing reporting structure.

Cons

Pay and internal career growth could be improved, and seems to be going that direction.

Keep communication across all departments open.

Combined Insurance Photos