Combined Insurance

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Combined Insurance President Brad Bennett
Brad Bennett

Pros
  • Great positive mental attitude atmosphere (in 8 reviews)

• The advantages of working for Combined are the initial training of its products and sale culture or the PMA (positive mental attitude) philosophy (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Driving it is a door to door sales position so it requires you to drive to all your clients (in 11 reviews)

• Territory managers have poor coaching skills and therefore micromanage their agents (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

All you need to succeed

Current Employee - Human Resources in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Combined provides you with all you need to be a successful sales person. Their supplemental insurance products are excellent, Disability Income, Accident & sickness protection, Critical and Cancer policies and Life insurance. The training you are given takes you from a ZERO to a hero! Starting with License training , Two weeks in their Chicago Sales School and then paid field training. They give you an ongoing supply of company paid leads, Full benefits, bonuses, residuals... its a great vehicle for anyone looking at a sales career.

Cons

You need to be highly desciplined, have great time management skills and be super moivated. You need to be a self starter since once you are trained your managers do not micro manage. There really are no regulare hours so you need to be flexible with your schedule.

Keep track of managers that do not train properly.

Strong Leaders and Significant Growth Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm very impressed with the caliber of the leadership here. It's a mix of tenured and new Executives - all very credible and most work well together. I'm new to the insurance industry, but I find it very interesting. There is significant growth potential if we can get this right. In addition, Combined is part of The ACE Group. Our ACE counterparts are very accessible and always willing to partner with us on initiatives. From a personal development perspective, lots of opportunities.

Cons

We are at a turning point here. If we get this right, it's a big win for all. 2014 and 2015 will be very important. It's not much of a Con, but if you are someone who wants to walk into a structured well working machine, this is not it... at least not yet.

Keep the passion and the vision! There are so many of us who want to see Combined become the pre-eminent brand in the marketplace. 100 years strong and growing!

"Success is achieved by those who try and keep trying"

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Combined values hard work and enthusiasm and rewards their employees with incentives and positive praise. Good work is acknowledged. I like to say I bleed blue; I grew up with this company and jumped at the chance to work with them. My father has worked for the company for 15 years, and now I work for a company that values a positive mental attitude and a team oriented work place. I work with a variety of people, from a varied background, all who help me develop into a stronger, more confident employee. Training and mentorship are always available. Combined cares about its employees that's why every agent, every individual has benefits.

Cons

I won't lie, its hard work, and your peers and your leaders will push you to do your best and be competitive with yourself. But if you do push yourself the company gives you the chance to advance not only in sales, but in your position as well. There is unlimited opportunity with a company that is experiencing growth and adapting to the changing needs of their employees and their customers like Combined is.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Divisional Recruiter in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Divisional Recruiter in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Merit Promotions, Unlimited Income, Unlimited Training, Mentorship, Great work environment, Awesome Benefits.

Cons

There is a learning curve. Mine was 3 months. Some people learned much quicker than I did.

Keep doing the goal setting interviews!

#1 in the company for the third quater in 2011 with over $63,00 issued and my rewards were low/ no checks.

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Owensboro, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Owensboro, KY

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training in Chicago and I got to meet some great people in Chicago.

Cons

Lied to by my manager and regional director

Please don't lie to your employees and please terminate managers whenever you discover they are breaking the law or lying to their customers.

SNAFU

Current Employee - Account Executive in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The sales school in Chicago was first rate. Applicable to much more than insurance, The potential for the right person to make a comfortable living exists.They supply plenty of leads.

Cons

Basically self employed with no field support after school.
    Their bonuses are tiered to almost reach but are not sustainable. Mid Management LIES and are fighting for their $250,000 year jobs and using new agents as fodder.
    If you need a good sales school go for it. If you can talk about disability, cancer and death all day you may do well.

Pay attention how to focus on specific needs and policies for different parts of America.
     You are all making a mockery of W.Clement Stone's legacy.
    Figure out how to slow down your attrition rate.

I loved the work

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Parkersburg, WV
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Parkersburg, WV

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

meeting new people training is excellent

Cons

you get good compensation and leadership

this is not a race you should not have to race out of the vehicle

Where hope,ambition, desire and need come to shrivel, wither and die

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People say the training is very good. I am not in agreement. It is designed to create stress. The classroom is fast paced and every night you mandatory groups and weekend class and study groups. You will learn approach script and scripts for common rebuttals. The classroom instruction does not match up with the field. That is a problem for the student.

Cons

The company is only as good as the territory manager. Many of the territory managers are not very good. You should have a good first week or two. When interviewing do yourself a favor, you interview you territory manager. Ask to see the sales reports of all agents for the past month, paper reports, not a verbal presentation of sales stories. As about turn over statistics, ask to talk to agents who have been with them , in your area for two years, not ten but two. The weakness is in the field and the management system. Be sure to look at the entire sales team. Be careful.

I rated you low on everything. I am not angry but the opportunity is not what is presented. I have no opinion of the CEO and at this level of employment it is not relevant. You should get into the field and create performance standards for managers that are tied to agent success. Turnover is expensive.

Sales agent

I have been working at Combined Insurance

Pros

Great commision structure great training

Cons

full commission not enough support for new agents

offer base salary

Worst company ever

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None... They could care less about their salesforce

Cons

They set you up for failure

None