Comcast Reviews

Reset
2.0
Comcast Chairman and CEO Brian L. Roberts
Brian L. Roberts

Pros
  • you get free cable and internet (in 172 reviews)

• Other than free cable that goes out constantly nothing else really appeals to me (in 356 reviews)

Cons
  • It's as if the only idea they could think of was to hire retail managers with experience in customer service (in 153 reviews)

• Work life balance is not important (in 46 reviews)

1. Politics - Welcome to Comcast, where the customers and employees come last

Former Contractor - Contractor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location, good hours, nice use of time and friendly co-workers - contractors. Good location for lunch, free lunch Friday's and cheap vending machines. You have a test box in front of you so you can watch your favorite programs in the background.

Cons

You feel very segregated when you are a contractor as it's one of the first things people ask you - are you a blue or green badge - full time/contractor. It sets the tone for the conversation going forward. There's a ton of politics between departments and hardly anyone has time to help put together a process or a plan. They all use different systems that don't coomunicate or have visibility to one another - now this is a multi BILLION DOLLAR company. They have 1,000's on contractors who have patched the place together so no wonder customer service is horrible, they are horrible to themselves. I was also pretty upset to learn my company was paying $130/hour for me and I was only making $50/hour - that's robbery but bravo for playing the game. My manager did zero training and said learn by doing, with no reason as to why or what I was supposed to do - huge liability if you ask me, risks quality, raises frustrations across already stressed departments, big time waster. All of the full time employees are VPs and Directors, reminds you of a banking org chart. When you would ask, haven't you done this 100 times, you would hear, Welcome to Comcast, we recreate the wheel everyday. Everyone worries about being laid off to meet budget and the bottom line, which is odd for one of the most profitable companies in the Fortune 50. The constant revolving front door also allows the legacy knowledge to walk away.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and treat people with respect. You are putting the customer first and most of the conversations that I overheard put the customer last and each other as well. What is the point of - "I was waiting for them to fail" If you had a more robust process in place with common systems, you wouldn't need 1000's of employees. The other highly touted comment - "I give them six month's and they're gone"

Senior Engineer - Comcast

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

New Technologies, Latest Hardware,Free Cable Internet

Cons

No Growth,Political atmosphere,Different divisions pull in different directions,Old Model of business

Surprisingly Good

Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast (Less than a year)

Pros

The experience of working for Comcast is better then you would expect from their reputation as a customer. Still not very good.

Cons

Do I really need to spell out the evils of Comcast? It's everything that is wrong with working for a giant anonymous corporation with none of the career benefits.

Company with tons of potential, but held back by the old boys club that exists at the executive level.

Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products when they work, healthy budgets which let ideas come to life.

Cons

Shortsightedness, micromanaging and reactiveness of senior management, managers who bully their way through projects by sheer force not strategy, insightfulness. No real room to move up unless you're a favorite or have been around for years and years and years.

Advice to Management

Empower your smart hardworking creative employees and clean house with the 'lifer' employees who just continue to rise in the ranks because they have been there forever. Foster transparency, and show enthusiasm for the department from the top down.

Not for everyone

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of young people in management positions, so I think that smart people can move up in the ranks. Hours are good. Some people seem very happy here and stay, especially the ones who start right out of school.

Cons

A lot of bro-grammers here. If you're not young, male and white, you might have trouble fitting in. The teams appear to be cliques and not welcoming to new hires. Younger managers often lack tact and people skills.

Advice to Management

Simply processes

MBA intern

Current Intern - MBA Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Intern - MBA Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good and supportive culture.good and supportive culture.good and supportive culture.

Cons

slow on adapting new technologies.slow on adapting new technologies.slow on adapting new technologies.

Why this company is not on Business Insider's List of Top 100 Places to Work

Current Employee - Senior Manager Marketing Operations in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Marketing Operations in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cable for $20 a month, Beautiful new office space, Nice people, Many departments and interesting career choices that can be made once you've been hired.

Cons

Low salaries, Too many consultants, Finance runs everything, Non-creative jobs, Bad Customer service reflects negatively on employees as well. It's hard to find VP's that you can actually look up to.

Advice to Management

What's the point, they're so rich and powerful and so benefitted by the status quo they've got no incentive to change or, be better.

Lots of Resources but Lacks Vision

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Beautiful building - Employee perks (ice cream, snacks) - Lots of great lower level employees - Downtown Location

Cons

- Very competitive political environment - Many incompetent people in management - Bad blood between departments impedes progress and blocks team success

Advice to Management

- Reward employees who are competent not your friends - Listen to the teams ideas instead of dictating your own opinions as fact - Make an effort to retain senior staff and valuable employees - Treat employees with respect - Stop being paranoid and trust people in other departments

It is like being inside a tornado (in a not good way)

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation and Benefits are good, compensating for City Wage Tax

Cons

Too much email, and too many meetings. Nobody pays attention during meetings, because they too busy reading their email. It is often hard to figure out who is in charge of what.

Too Political

Former Contractor - Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Contractor - Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, won't get bored. Lot's of projects going on. Most everyone below director is great to work with.

Cons

Hard to get anything done - have to know the politics to get things done. Directors and VPs changing direction often. A lot of micromanagement and politics. A lot of frustration from people trying to get work done.

Advice to Management

Stop changing direction and micromanaging. Listen to the problems people are having getting their work done.

Showing 23 of 3,337 reviews