Comcast

Updated February 28, 2015
3.4

Comcast Chairman and CEO Brian L. Roberts
Brian L. Roberts

Pros
  • The ONLY pro to working at Comcast is the super cheap cable and Internet (in 172 reviews)

• You get free cable service and free internet service with reduced rates on equipment (in 356 reviews)

Cons
  • It is very apparent why Comcast is consistently in the bottom of customer service (in 153 reviews)

• The nature of the business makes it hard for work-life balance to be created (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

317 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Tons of Opportunity, in your Hands

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Comcast has given me the opportunity to develop myself; take the time to grow and learn, and that was really important to me during the time in my life when I joined the company. If you have the drive and ambition, there are a ton of ways in which you can grow into a leader if that's what you want to be. I took advantage of the continued education benefit and am finishing my masters degree now... I also joined a couple of the employee resource groups which offer seminars and networking events that support your professional profile. Listen, I'm not a total nerd. The point of my post is that this isn't a company you join and just stay stale within. They encourage your growth, but it's up to you to make it happen. Not only this - it's pretty exciting. We're busy and we have big jobs to do. My salary is in the top percentile for my industry but not only this, I again get the continued education (which is ~$6K/year) plus free cable/internet, top health care benefits and a truly balanced lifestyle - which is rarely the case within the Tech industry.

Cons

Telling people you work at Comcast triggers 2 typical responses: 1) A big hatred rant on customer service 2) A how do I get my foot in the door?

The reputation of the company is difficult, but the style of the company is to stay humble - I've never seen the company defend themselves against the harmful and discrediting news that exists. I personally think they should defend themselves a little more - they are between a rock and a hard place in many instances of service. I personally experienced visiting someone's home where the issues they were having with their connection was due to a tree root growing into the cable lines which had been their for over 20 years. Things like that cannot be diagnosed over a phone call. It's hard work in the field for sure. Being a part of the corporate side sometimes we're too disconnected from what's happening on the frontline. So I think the size of the organization comes with its complications, but again if you're a working professional looking for an exciting, robust and sexy career, you can comfortably have it here.

As bad as company is with customer service is how good they are with employees

Current Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast

Pros

Actually diverse company, good work-life balance, accepting office culture

Cons

Bad reputation, hard to transition to full time employee

Great company to work for; Working hard to change image

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Heavy focus on growing and enabling employees
    Empowered to deliver

Cons

Great empowerment and respect for the employees requires that one be focused to get things done in a timely fashion.

Be more focused and concise on the strategy and tactics of the company and how it directly relates to them. Ambiguity wastes time.

Great Company In Corporate Despite Negative Public Eye

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed everything about my internship. I had a great time learning how to write better code and met a lot of smart people. I've never been to silicon valley so I can't say that Comcast is on that level, but I definitely know that they are not seen as a tech company when they are doing a lot of really cool stuff. They treat their employees fairly and even sometimes provide some free gear. There is enough change and things going on to not get bored on the same amount of code.

Cons

For a company as big as Comcast I expected the compensation for a SWE intern to be much higher. The industry standard for interns at these kinds of companies are more generous. They are also attempting to make their company more like a silicon valley company which I believe will never fully happen, but a upgrade on perks would be nice. Of course I didn't experience the free cable as a intern but catered lunches and help with transportation cost would be nice :)

Upgrade compensation and perks for your SWE's so that people can take Comcast more seriously as a tech company, it will help out your future.

Great work environment!

Former Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast

Pros

I worked with some of the brightest minds in industry. Comcast does a tremendous job hiring great talent.

Cons

None that were detrimental to my experience.

Engineering Analyst

Current Employee - Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast

Pros

The work culture is laid back. They encourage innovation and risk taking, while promoting work life balance. There is a lot of room to move up in the company.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to explain working there when the company has such a bad reputation. The culture of the company internally does not equal its public perception.

Very Disorganized

Current Employee - Billing Analyst in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - Billing Analyst in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at Comcast

Pros

Time off, Health Benefits, Stock Purchase Plan, Almost free Cable, Internet, Phone.

Cons

Comcast as a company is a very good company to work for. It's a shame there is disconnect from what the company wants to be and the management that are managing the everyday responsibilities. Poor training. The culture is more who you know rather than what you know. This causes a lot of back stabbing. And, a lot people being in positions where they don't know what they are doing.

Hire and promote people who have a background for the position. And, if not train your friend.

It was Ok, nice benefits

Current Employee - Retention Specialist in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - Retention Specialist in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at Comcast

Pros

The pay was decent benefits too

Cons

Easy to get fat because you are at a desk all day, the company rips people off and over chargers their customers, you get yelled at, called names, and verbally abused over the phone. It was the most annoying job I ever had in my entire life.

Great Company to Work for Overall

Former Employee - Human Resources Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Engaged employees, good benefits, always hiring. Great marketing, good products. Employee resource groups.

Cons

Customer Service from CAEs still needs to improve. Know of some leaders who are poor people managers. Constant complaints from customers about service.

Providing exceptional Customer Service needs to be #1 company-wide goal, year after year. Company profits will beat expectations when every CAE provides nothing less than the best Customer Service in the industry. Consider better consistent screening process for better CAEs.

Ruby Developer Testing

Current Contractor - Ruby Developer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Ruby Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

You get to program in Ruby!

Cons

Not Rails work but still awesome.