Comcast

2,522 Reviews

Comcast Chairman and CEO Brian L. Roberts
Brian L. Roberts
1,285 Ratings

Pros
  • The ONLY pro to working at Comcast is the super cheap cable and Internet (in 172 reviews)

• You get free cable service and free internet service with reduced rates on equipment (in 356 reviews)

Cons
  • It is very apparent why Comcast is consistently in the bottom of customer service (in 153 reviews)

• The nature of the business makes it hard for work-life balance to be created (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Tons of Opportunity, in your Hands

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Comcast has given me the opportunity to develop myself; take the time to grow and learn, and that was really important to me during the time in my life when I joined the company. If you have the drive and ambition, there are a ton of ways in which you can grow into a leader if that's what you want to be. I took advantage of the continued education benefit and am finishing my masters degree now... I also joined a couple of the employee resource groups which offer seminars and networking events that support your professional profile. Listen, I'm not a total nerd. The point of my post is that this isn't a company you join and just stay stale within. They encourage your growth, but it's up to you to make it happen. Not only this - it's pretty exciting. We're busy and we have big jobs to do. My salary is in the top percentile for my industry but not only this, I again get the continued education (which is ~$6K/year) plus free cable/internet, top health care benefits and a truly balanced lifestyle - which is rarely the case within the Tech industry.

Cons

Telling people you work at Comcast triggers 2 typical responses: 1) A big hatred rant on customer service 2) A how do I get my foot in the door?

The reputation of the company is difficult, but the style of the company is to stay humble - I've never seen the company defend themselves against the harmful and discrediting news that exists. I personally think they should defend themselves a little more - they are between a rock and a hard place in many instances of service. I personally experienced visiting someone's home where the issues they were having with their connection was due to a tree root growing into the cable lines which had been their for over 20 years. Things like that cannot be diagnosed over a phone call. It's hard work in the field for sure. Being a part of the corporate side sometimes we're too disconnected from what's happening on the frontline. So I think the size of the organization comes with its complications, but again if you're a working professional looking for an exciting, robust and sexy career, you can comfortably have it here.

Review of time working at Comcast

I have been working at Comcast

Pros

Fantastic vacation and health benefits. I find my salary very competitive to others. Won't find a better company to work for in Philadelphia. Work-life balance is good. Training abundant.

Cons

Can be hard to navigate the political landscape of such a big company. Sometimes find management doesn't have a grasp on day-to-day operations.

Be more involved with the intricacies of you team, big or small. More clarity on using systems.

A good place to build your supervisory skillset

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Comcast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- If you take care of your team, they'll take care of you.
    - An honest and genuine approach to the job pays off.
    - Never say you'll take care of something then not follow through. This is the quickest way to lose respect among your peers and within your team.

Cons

This con really only applies to someone who shouldn't be doing this: The customer service industry in general can be soul sucking if you're not the right person. What is the right person? Someone who's genuinely passionate about helping others. You can't fake that. I've watched many people try, it never ends well.

Value feedback, regardless of tenure. Some of the best ideas come from fresh eyes.

Treats Employees Better Than Customers

I have been working at Comcast full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Incentives, Parties, Great Co-Workers, Caring Management. Comcast certainly values their employees and invest a lot of their time and money in them. This is of course great if you work for the organization and not so great if you are customer which if you are working in the call center can be rather stressful. I love that you can be truly be yourself at Comcast. They love families so you can work side by side with your daughter, son, spouse, aunt, cousin, friend, uncle, etc. As a gay male I have felt nothing but fully accepted and loved that a lot of the leadership was openly gay also, it certainly is a family environment and everyone is very supportive and helpful. I would have to say the good eggs certainly overshadow the bad ones. Comcast is a conglomerate and I love that they're are a variety of entities within the organization so do NOT limit yourself to just one position. You qualify for a transfer after just 6 months which is just amazing. Comcast truly is an exceptional service being that I have had them all, so you do get what you pay for. They do train the new hires properly, and even if you don't know everything (which you won't) it is okay just ask your peers they are more than helpful. Oh, and you will never go hungry at Comcast for sure so don't worry about lunch money because they will always feed you, every time you look up there is pizza, cake, donuts, ice cream, pasta, chicken, ribs, steak, sandwiches, chinese food, etc.

Cons

Work-life balance is difficult especially if you are commission based because you will be basically forced to do overtime to maintain the level pay you have become accustom to. Customers really do determine your pay structure, you can be the best salesman available, however during months when college kids call to discontinue their service because they are going back home for the winter, you lose money from your pocket. When customers call to discontinue service because it is at their second home or vacation home, you lose money. Certain things that are out of your control you take a hit for it and are just told to OWN IT! Recently Comcast has made a decision to convert their system over to CSG database which has caused a huge headache for many agents across the country because not only were we poorly trained on the new system but the system was flawed during its release which caused customers accounts to screwed up but we could not fix the accounts because we did not have the tools to fix the job. So we were simply told to lie to the customer to get them off the phone and write down the account and hope that you remember to fix that one account after handling over 40 accounts a day 5 - 6 days a week if you worked OT or not. Vacation, flex, floating, and sick days are okay but if you are working in the call center with this high level stress you are going to use them up faster than you got them. And if you live in an area where the weather does potentially get bad around the winter season you are advised to save your flex just for those days which is unrealistic because sometimes you do need to take some time off just to recoup from all the negative energy you encounter with the customers over the phone. At the beginning of 2015 many co-workers suffered from heart attacks and even died because of the high level of stressing following the launch of the CSG conversion.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Access Coordinator/LO Tech in Halifax, MA
    Former Employee - Access Coordinator/LO Tech in Halifax, MA

I worked at Comcast full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, constant training support and smart, friendly and professional Co-workers

Cons

temporary position with no room for growth resulting in being laid off

It's the best customer service I've had with a cable and Internet provider

Former Contractor - Installation Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Former Contractor - Installation Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Comcast as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Helpful honest and well maintained company that makes sure that customers are satisfied and get what they pay for regardless if they are wrong.

Cons

Nothing bad but need more fiber optic line in suburban areas. But other then that Internet speed is well maintained but does slow down after awhile.

Keep up the great work

Awesome!

I have been working at Comcast

Pros

Great work environment, flexibility, pay rate

Cons

None... Great place to work

Keep up the good work!

Collections

I worked at Comcast full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, no weekends, great benefits, easy to make lateral moves, excellent benefits package, especially tuition reimbursement

Cons

low pay, morale, inconsistency, lack of training, difficult call matrix, abuse from customers, no organization

stop favoritism, lack of knowledge, increase morale and budget

As bad as company is with customer service is how good they are with employees

Current Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast

Pros

Actually diverse company, good work-life balance, accepting office culture

Cons

Bad reputation, hard to transition to full time employee

Customer Account Executive 2 (IP)

I worked at Comcast

Pros

Receiving constant training to improve on job requirements and job skills. Making sure each employee understands and has knowledge of company, job requirements and expectations.

Cons

Challenges are opportunities to learn a new way of dealing with unexpected situations.

Making sure employees understand Comcast vision and vision statement.