Comcast Reviews

2,719 Reviews
Comcast Chairman and CEO Brian L. Roberts
Brian L. Roberts
1,354 Ratings

Pros
  • The ONLY pro to working at Comcast is the super cheap cable and Internet (in 172 reviews)

• You get free cable service and free internet service with reduced rates on equipment (in 356 reviews)

Cons
  • It is very apparent why Comcast is consistently in the bottom of customer service (in 153 reviews)

• The nature of the business makes it hard for work-life balance to be created (in 46 reviews)

Tons of Opportunity, in your Hands

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Comcast has given me the opportunity to develop myself; take the time to grow and learn, and that was really important to me during the time in my life when I joined the company. If you have the drive and ambition, there are a ton of ways in which you can grow into a leader if that's what you want to be. I took advantage of the continued education benefit and am finishing my masters degree now... I also joined a couple of the employee resource groups which offer seminars and networking events that support your professional profile. Listen, I'm not a total nerd. The point of my post is that this isn't a company you join and just stay stale within. They encourage your growth, but it's up to you to make it happen. Not only this - it's pretty exciting. We're busy and we have big jobs to do. My salary is in the top percentile for my industry but not only this, I again get the continued education (which is ~$6K/year) plus free cable/internet, top health care benefits and a truly balanced lifestyle - which is rarely the case within the Tech industry.

Cons

Telling people you work at Comcast triggers 2 typical responses: 1) A big hatred rant on customer service 2) A how do I get my foot in the door?

The reputation of the company is difficult, but the style of the company is to stay humble - I've never seen the company defend themselves against the harmful and discrediting news that exists. I personally think they should defend themselves a little more - they are between a rock and a hard place in many instances of service. I personally experienced visiting someone's home where the issues they were having with their connection was due to a tree root growing into the cable lines which had been their for over 20 years. Things like that cannot be diagnosed over a phone call. It's hard work in the field for sure. Being a part of the corporate side sometimes we're too disconnected from what's happening on the frontline. So I think the size of the organization comes with its complications, but again if you're a working professional looking for an exciting, robust and sexy career, you can comfortably have it here.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Comcast (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and good benefits

Cons

Door to door and weekend work

3. Quality advancement

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to move up quickly. Good Pay, benefits, management and fun company culture.

Cons

High turnover due to a poor applicant pool. Working with people that obviously see it as just another job and not a career.

Advice to Management

Hire for quality not quantity.

Great Engineering position if you find the right group inside a large organization

Former Employee - Engineer III in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Denver, CO

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to work with modern tech
    - Great compensation, including stock options and employee purchase programs
    - Great work/life balance
    - Ownership of solutions is possible in some groups
    - Ability to influence tech used to deliver solutions
    - Separate Managerial and Technical career tracks

Cons

- Mid-level VPs have bought into out-sourcing critical technical work; causing technical debt, mass exodus of quality engineers and low overall morale in IT and Engineering organizations
    - Overseas outsourced resources are a revolving door of talent: one month you'll have quality people and the next month they are gone and replaced by new (and ignorant) replacements that need to be trained
    - Not all groups are the same. Some groups have horrible managers or horrible peers; others are great
    - Ability to move teams/groups within Comcast varies from manager to manager; some are vindictive individuals and others are supportive
    - VPs rarely take responsibility for their actions. Directors, too, are slippery. Consequences for poorly executed or poorly contrived initiatives frequently fall onto the backs of engineers and low level managers.

Advice to Management

- Don't outsource critical technical work. Just don't do it. You will regret it.
    - Keep management accountable for decisions.
    - If you treat your engineers like cattle, they will leave. The good ones will leave first.
    - Invest in your talent and they will pay you back. Treat them poorly and they'll never forget and you will pay a steeper price later.
    - Did I say you shouldn't outsource? Yeah, I'll say it again. Don't do it. The sales pitch you get from those overseas 'consultancy' organizations are full of lies. Quality will suffer. Output will plummet. The person you takes over your job after your failure will look like a hero when they bring the work back stateside.

LOA Consultant

Current Employee - LOA Consultant in Prospect Park, PA
    Current Employee - LOA Consultant in Prospect Park, PA

I have been working at Comcast (Less than a year)

Pros

Comprehensive benefit packet, friendly work environment.

Cons

I have no cons for working for Comcast.

7. Love Comcast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great company
    low ego environment
    fast paced, innovative, dynamic
    great people
    amazing benefits

Cons

merit increases are cost of living, at best

Advice to Management

pay your people better
    implement more rotational programs
    find a way to manage/leverage internal talent more effectively

8. great job

Current Employee - Consruction Technician III ( Construction Coordinator ) in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Comcast (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balace, healthy bonus

Cons

title is not comparable to titles at other companies for equivalant job duties.

9. Great management

Current Employee - Customer Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the leadership where k work. Very supportive, the company definitely cares about your well being.

Cons

Products need to work a little better and better communication between departments needed.

Advice to Management

Improve communications between departments

10. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast

Pros

Professional and friendly environment. Competitive compensation.

Cons

Less opportunity to work on something that's not related to their current product.

11. Great opportunities to learn so much

I worked at Comcast part-time

Pros

Vanguards Technology. Good cultural and environment

Cons

Difficult to take some promotions

Advice to Management

Good Job