Comcast

3.1 1,886 reviews

Comcast Chairman and CEO Brian L. Roberts

Brian L. Roberts

1,886 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great co-workers and wonderful benefits (free cable and internet)"
    in 135 reviews
  • "Benefits, Free cable/internet/phone (all the channels) - that's an immediate"
    in 308 reviews
Cons:
  • "It is very apparent why Comcast is consistently in the bottom of customer service"
    in 116 reviews
  • "There is no such thing as work life balance, it's work hard, work even harder"
    in 35 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Joke of a company

Customer Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsDirt cheap services for working for them.

ConsIncompetent managers, directors and supervisors. I worked in Technical Support for over four years and within those four years got less than $2.50 in increase in pay but new expectations and harder stats just kept being piled on. Towards the end of my time at Comcast, selling became more of a priority while actual tech support was more and more outsourced. And here's another thing. The center in Pittsburgh is becoming what's called a "Platinum" call center. Comcast claims this will be used to make the customer experience better. What they don't tell you is that's only for the high priority customers. If you don't pay for all three (four if you have HOME) services, you're automatically outsources overseas, if you pay big money to Comcast you talk to someone in the US.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to worrying about customer service. Why is Comcast rated so low in customer service? because they only care about making more sales and getting more subscribers. Employees are paid way lower than they deserve yet deal with upset and aggravated people daily. Keep tech support in the ASC, they're tech agents, you have a sales department for a reason, TO MAKE SALES! Another thing. I have a 4-year bachelor's degree in IT, I applied for IT positions that I was qualified for, I had great interviews and was told by the interviewer I had the skills they were looking for and did I get the job? no. My supervisor hinted to me that it was because my sales weren't good and I believe that. I tried to sell, I did my best, but I'm a tech person, I was hired to do tech support, and I was excellent at it. I even won an Awesome award for my customer service skills, I just wasn't good at selling. Just because an employee isn't good at selling doesn't mean that they're not going to perform excellently in another department. Management puts so much pressure on their employees to meet numbers, that the environment in the call center is stressful to the extreme. And they keep pushing more and more changes and policies on their employees but don't offer any additional compensation.
    Another thing too, having a 3rd party company review calls for quality does not work. I have nothing against foreign people from overseas, but they hardly are good folks to be able to listen to calls taking place in the US that are most likely using dialects that they would not. When I was in the center, the quality went down dramatically when this 3rd party company took over.
    One of the other big problems, that I touched on a little bit, was that there was no career development at all. For four years we were promised that a career path program was coming, we want you to succeed, and it never did. Finally I found the documents on a sharepoint, and by moving from CAE 1 to 2 would be less than a $1 raise and the stats keep getting harder. This company wants call center agents to be stuck in the call center forever. Unless you're at 200% on all your stats and best friends with HR, you won't get anywhere in this company if you're first hired in the call center. The entire experience was very demotivating.

Company that encourages FRAUD-minded individuals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay, has a FEW decent individuals who work there

ConsCompany boasts about having "core ethics" but only hires scammers and thieves who commit millions of dollars in fraud while the company turns a blind eye. Somehow these same people keep getting promoted while those who are ethical, honest, and try to promote similar qualities in their workers are met with backlash and have their wrists slapped. They will do anything and everything to make as much money as possible at the cost of their customers and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with an ethical backbone and maybe you wont have so many customer/comapny complaints!

Worst place to work!

Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to make comission. Free comcast services.

ConsMicro management. Managers are very rude to cusomers and to employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retention

Retention Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits an pay until they like to change stats on you

ConsReceive lots of disgruntled customers about reps adding stuff onto accounts an your responsible to take the hit on your paycheck no one is held accountable for there actions in different dept. an your own! best to avoid this job as possible they need to pay more for the mess that we go through daily an have better retain options

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more helpful to employees you haven't been on the phones for a while I'm sure if you were getting yelled at for 8 hours a day you'd be stressed out to an give your managers to give your employees more positive feedback an stay positive we hear negative allday long a little smile an positive goes a long way!

Should have listened to the reviews

CAE - IP Support Specialist (Former Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsA bunch of time off. But needed from all the negativity.

ConsFelt like a slave, sell sell sell, a lot of the call where customers who you really couldn't help because they were older people who barely knew what a remote was. When going back for orientation, one worker stood up and said "Lets see how long this class lasts!" Getting cussed out for half your shift and all this for 11.00/hr. Yep I left. Right to work state in Tennessee and really happy where I ended up. Nobody I talked to there liked the place but for them, it is a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiding from the hourly workers. lol

A clear example of a corporate greed by company run by the bean counters

ProsServices are included in the employee package

ConsUnrealistic Goals and expectations change on a whim. Extremely stressful high pressure work environment. No thought is given to even a 6 mo long range impact brought to bear with the implementation of new processes. You would think they would have software tools that actually work....they don't and employees have to continually struggle with applications that either lag or simply don't work. They continually launch new products without notice, information or training of the employees that will be handling the calls it generate. Sad because it used to be a wonderful place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not abuse your frontline employees. Get in touch with the extremely stressful jobs they do. Treat your employees and customers well and profits will follow

Endless Stress

CAE Billing (Current Employee)
    Fishers, IN

ProsProduct discount, being forced to self assess

ConsSupervisors are unsuppotive, responding w/attitude and disappointment if needed for a customer issue. No growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore agent feedback surveys, based soley on the opinion of the direct supervisor. This will clarify the feelings of hopelessness that most agents report.

Run away if you can!!

Administrative Support (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsBenefits are decent, though they get more expensive and cover less and less each year.

ConsPay is WELL below industry peers. All management knows how to do is micro-manage and change direction. Every new VP or upper management member that comes in drastically changes our direction and organization, just so they can look like they're trying to improve things. All this does is disrupt employees' lives by either a layoff or quintupling commutes! All for no real benefit. The micro-managing is done by middle and upper management trying to control things they have never done or have any idea about whatsoever. Different departments are at odds with each other.
    Management will not even consider letting employees, whose whole jobs are on the PC, work from home. I believe this is more of their micro-management. Pay is different for employees doing the exact same job. Those of us who are motivated and work hard are given more work, while those who slack are left alone to slack off some more, even spending their day on IM with their love interest. . Upper management has enacted pay caps, basically eliminating employee motivation. I'm sure management hasn't capped their pay, have they? Great behavior for a multi-billion dollar company.

So much of customer service has been outsourced, both in and out of country, that the customer frustration factor has increased exponentially. Management needs to realize that you get what you pay for.
    Since removing motivation for long-term employees, it seems the drive is to try to get rid of those of us who have been here long-term in favor of new employees they can pay less.
    Also, HR is completely useless; merely a mouthpiece for upper management. Their employee retention policy is to tell us "be happy you have a job." WOW, there's a motivator.....to look elsewhere.
    Upper management is so disconnected from reality. They really have no idea what is going on beyond our stock price. You let the bean counters make WAY too many of the decisions.
    Employee morale is is so low, as to be nonexistent. We all hate our jobs. The only thing keeping us coming in is our paycheck. This used to be a career for me, but since 2010, its just a paycheck. Employee morale is so low because we all know things will NEVER get better. Management needs to realize that their smoke and mirrors attempts (Credo-speak survey, Credo-Pulse survey) to give the impression that they are trying to improve things don't fool us.
    Local management does what they can. Unfortunately any real power to improve things has been taken away from them and centralized; in Keystone Division, this power is centralized in Central PA. Pittsburgh is merely dealt with as an afterthought to Upper Management in Central PA.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like the assets they are, and NOT like you treat them now, which is like an expense. Bring employee pay more in line with industry peers. Restore the 401K match back to pre-recession levels, like most other companies have done. 3% doesn't cut it. Let employees whose whole job is on the PC work from home. Create some REAL advancement opportunities, not the current 'Cohort' program. Don't you realize that this program is viewed as a joke by employees? The Commops program is also viewed as useless by most employees; jut another attempt to give the impression that there is something to strive for, when there really isn't anywhere to go.

I literally got fired on purpose.

Business Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsEmployee Discount, solid base & benefits. There were a ton

ConsNo structure at all. No support. I was often wasting valuable selling time trying to figure out where my paycheck was.
    Your Commission depends upon their ability to install, so you can sell 20 contracts but get nothing but written up because the building is unserviceable.
    My manager was ridiculous, not supportive and had no idea what she was talking about. Although it was clear to everyone around us, they kept her on board and let several of us go.
    The Department was growing to fast for the back end support to keep up.

Great company terrible delivery

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat Medical benefits that was the benefit

ConsNepotism across the channel a corrupt environment

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified management

Worked for Comcast? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Comcast reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Comcast CEO Brian L. Roberts. All 1,886 reviews posted anonymously by Comcast employees.