Comcast

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.1 1,928 reviews

Comcast Chairman and CEO Brian L. Roberts

Brian L. Roberts

Pros
  • Great co-workers and wonderful benefits (free cable and internet)(in 139 reviews)

• Benefits, Free cable/internet/phone (all the channels) - that's an immediate(in 316 reviews)

Cons
  • It is very apparent why Comcast is consistently in the bottom of customer service(in 128 reviews)

• The nature of the business makes it hard for work-life balance to be created(in 38 reviews)

1,928 Employee Reviews

Good for slackers and nepotism.

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsI thought at the time it was better than being unemployed. Since then, working here has actually negatively impacted my ability to get jobs of the caliber I had previously...

ConsExtremely vertical hierarchy and distasteful corporate flavor.

"The only way to survive at this company is to be absolutely soulless."

Customer Account Executive (Former Employee) White Marsh, MD

ProsThe pay is OK if you are there for several years. Their insurance coverage and benefits package is up to industry standards.

ConsYou must be deceptive and con your customer base in order to achieve the expectations of management. If you are about to lose everything because you can't find other work then accept a position with Comcast, but don't stay too long. There are so many representatives on medical leave and FMLA because they cannot handle the unnerving stress this company has put them under to produce. The company has unrealistic expectations when it comes to selling and retaining customers, forcing a great number of representatives to compromise their work ethics to keep their jobs. Those who try to maintain their integrity soon find themselves unemployed.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat good would it do? If they are unwilling to listen to you when you are an employee, they most certainly aren't willing to listen now. They consistently turn a deaf ear to anything and everything they do not wish to hear. It's a shame for a once great company to fall so low, but good luck with those profits!

I quit after 10 + years

Customer Account Executive Sales (Former Employee) Salinas, CA

ProsFree services cable internet home phone service

ConsAnd another thing they took all most 2.00 an hour away from us said if you want more money then sell more

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of these sales guys also who are management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

want to know why the techs suck?

ProsBenefits. The only pro but I needed at least 5 words.

ConsWe are given 1 hour (including drive time) to fix your trouble calls. Installing 6 tvs? phone? wireless with a house full of childrens' wireless gadgetry? We might get 3 hours. Where is the time to run drops, aos, clear ingress? We do what we can with the time allotted. Same with trouble calls. You want to complain about the phone rep for 15 minutes? Want me to wait while your coming home from work? Im running behind? Your issue will most likely still exist when I leave. The benefits are great and the pay is adequate. Those are the only reasons you can keep long term techs. We never know what time we are going to get out or if we will take a break on an 10+ hour shift.

Verizon Fios benefits from legacy union rules. But you do get a better installation from them if the tech actually wants to work. They are not rushed to get to the next job to the same extent as we are.

Advice to Senior ManagementQUALITY WORK AND CUSTOMER SERVICE TAKES TIME.

Joke of a company

Customer Account Executive (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsDirt cheap services for working for them.

ConsIncompetent managers, directors and supervisors. I worked in Technical Support for over four years and within those four years got less than $2.50 in increase in pay but new expectations and harder stats just kept being piled on. Towards the end of my time at Comcast, selling became more of a priority while actual tech support was more and more outsourced. And here's another thing. The center in Pittsburgh is becoming what's called a "Platinum" call center. Comcast claims this will be used to make the customer experience better. What they don't tell you is that's only for the high priority customers. If you don't pay for all three (four if you have HOME) services, you're automatically outsources overseas, if you pay big money to Comcast you talk to someone in the US.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to worrying about customer service. Why is Comcast rated so low in customer service? because they only care about making more sales and getting more subscribers. Employees are paid way lower than they deserve yet deal with upset and aggravated people daily. Keep tech support in the ASC, they're tech agents, you have a sales department for a reason, TO MAKE SALES! Another thing. I have a 4-year bachelor's degree in IT, I applied for IT positions that I was qualified for, I had great interviews and was told by the interviewer I had the skills they were looking for and did I get the job? no. My supervisor hinted to me that it was because my sales weren't good and I believe that. I tried to sell, I did my best, but I'm a tech person, I was hired to do tech support, and I was excellent at it. I even won an Awesome award for my customer service skills, I just wasn't good at selling. Just because an employee isn't good at selling doesn't mean that they're not going to perform excellently in another department. Management puts so much pressure on their employees to meet numbers, that the environment in the call center is stressful to the extreme. And they keep pushing more and more changes and policies on their employees but don't offer any additional compensation.
    Another thing too, having a 3rd party company review calls for quality does not work. I have nothing against foreign people from overseas, but they hardly are good folks to be able to listen to calls taking place in the US that are most likely using dialects that they would not. When I was in the center, the quality went down dramatically when this 3rd party company took over.
    One of the other big problems, that I touched on a little bit, was that there was no career development at all. For four years we were promised that a career path program was coming, we want you to succeed, and it never did. Finally I found the documents on a sharepoint, and by moving from CAE 1 to 2 would be less than a $1 raise and the stats keep getting harder. This company wants call center agents to be stuck in the call center forever. Unless you're at 200% on all your stats and best friends with HR, you won't get anywhere in this company if you're first hired in the call center. The entire experience was very demotivating.

Why do you think they are doing so much Hiring? Most employees there have been at that call center less than 3 years.

Sales (Former Employee) Fife, WA

Prosgood medical good vacation made good money over ten years ago, not now

ConsThey do not care about their employees. You are penalized for the calls you take even though a massive majority are misdirected from third party groups. Management does not care or understand what goes on there. Call Center was extremely depressed when I was there and applying for financial help, food stamps and help from churches. Employees who had been there a while were fired for new cheaper employees. No morality in the company ethics. Employees there were doing shady things to make unreasonable metrics. Comcast did everything they could to reduce our money.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some humanity. Stop the corporate greed. Treat your employees and customers better. Why did the majority of the call center get fired in Sales???? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Company that encourages FRAUD-minded individuals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay, has a FEW decent individuals who work there

ConsCompany boasts about having "core ethics" but only hires scammers and thieves who commit millions of dollars in fraud while the company turns a blind eye. Somehow these same people keep getting promoted while those who are ethical, honest, and try to promote similar qualities in their workers are met with backlash and have their wrists slapped. They will do anything and everything to make as much money as possible at the cost of their customers and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with an ethical backbone and maybe you wont have so many customer/comapny complaints!

Worst place to work!

Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to make comission. Free comcast services.

ConsMicro management. Managers are very rude to cusomers and to employees.

Retention

Retention Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits an pay until they like to change stats on you

ConsReceive lots of disgruntled customers about reps adding stuff onto accounts an your responsible to take the hit on your paycheck no one is held accountable for there actions in different dept. an your own! best to avoid this job as possible they need to pay more for the mess that we go through daily an have better retain options

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more helpful to employees you haven't been on the phones for a while I'm sure if you were getting yelled at for 8 hours a day you'd be stressed out to an give your managers to give your employees more positive feedback an stay positive we hear negative allday long a little smile an positive goes a long way!

Should have listened to the reviews

CAE - IP Support Specialist (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsA bunch of time off. But needed from all the negativity.

ConsFelt like a slave, sell sell sell, a lot of the call where customers who you really couldn't help because they were older people who barely knew what a remote was. When going back for orientation, one worker stood up and said "Lets see how long this class lasts!" Getting cussed out for half your shift and all this for 11.00/hr. Yep I left. Right to work state in Tennessee and really happy where I ended up. Nobody I talked to there liked the place but for them, it is a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiding from the hourly workers. lol

Worked for Comcast? Contribute to the Community!