Comcast

2,256 Reviews

Comcast Chairman and CEO Brian L. Roberts
Brian L. Roberts
1,151 Ratings

Pros
  • The ONLY pro to working at Comcast is the super cheap cable and Internet (in 164 reviews)

• You get free cable service and free internet service with reduced rates on equipment (in 348 reviews)

Cons
  • It is very apparent why Comcast is consistently in the bottom of customer service (in 151 reviews)

• The nature of the business makes it hard for work-life balance to be created (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

The stress from customers that want to say they are dissatisfied with the companyis overwhelming as you try to help them

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a steady job that on the surface is favorable to introverts and extroverts alike. Show and be nice...and meet the metrics or you will be coached and your job may be threatened. Its a good job if your work/life balance is out of whack. There seems to be some dignity to the job - but that is an illusion

Cons

Training is vague and minimal. Leadership is always right and waste always falls downhill. The new regional RCOE model is a bunch of boloney - aimed at metrics only. The company outsources many, many calls and does not train them as well (at all?) as the US employees. Then customers are irate about the people that talk engrish before they finally arrive with a US employee.

You can read all of what I've said in the pros/cons section - nothing will change for years as call centers will continue to churn thru employees with high school diplomas, relying on the bottom line (metrics) and allow for no real advancement but only the small hope of a low wage paying job that is very similar to a janitors position - you know one who cleans up the excrement others have made? Work here is this - show up, be nice (which means being a punching bag) and try to stay right within your metrics - too low and you get (coached) and too high - you get "researched for ethical behavior". This job has changed me - made me callous to people. This is probably because I have show empathy to a pathetic situation or person who maybe can't watch a tv show or browse facebook, or can't get their wifi to work on their back porch by the pool. This job wants you to appease the people in this country that truly have first world problems. It is sickening at times speaking with people that want to just complain, not learn and not listen.

Inbound Sales Supervisor

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Supervisor in Fife, WA
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Supervisor in Fife, WA

I worked at Comcast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good atmosphere with televisions everywhere
    - Uncapped commissions

Cons

- Commission plan changes every year and sales metrics change every 3 months (usually for the worse)
    - Horrible communication between senior level managers and front-line agents and supervisors
    - A lot of employee turnover

- Get a commission plan that sticks
    - Communicate with your front-line employees
    - Train your employees before new products launch

Was a pleasant experience for the most part

Current Employee - Customer Account Executive in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Account Executive in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Comcast full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with always provided assistance.

Cons

The departments aren't all on the same page.

Great Customer service isn't possible if your employees don't know where to go for answers.

Typical Corporate Business

Former Employee - Small Business Technical Support in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Small Business Technical Support in Centennial, CO

I worked at Comcast full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great pay! $17/hr entry level pay
    - Great Benefits; all major holidays off, dental/health, MAJOR service discounts, 2 week paid vacation after 90 days
    - Superb paid training (3 month total)

Cons

- Did not seem to put customer first (guilty until proven innocent)

Cool place

Current Employee - Billing Agent in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Billing Agent in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Comcast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy money it's up to you to advance with comcast, it's a stressful job but you have to have thick skin.

Cons

Attendance policy, Constantly getting cursed out by customers, employee drama.

Summer Internship

Former Employee - Marketing in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was very cool working in the Comcast Center in Philadelphia. Additionally, I was exposed to pertinent business issues on a daily basis. Had an opportunity to listen to Brian Roberts speak directly to all of the interns and explain his vision for the direction of the company.

Cons

Extended periods of time without hearing from supervisor.
    Pay could have been better.

Have a more structured plan for each intern position prior to the start of the summer.

Comcast - Good Idea.... Bad Execution

I worked at Comcast

Pros

A company that continues to grow and offers many career opportunities to those who have a career vision.

Cons

Otherwise its just a place that provide job opportunities for those who are complicate and never wish to grow.

It was okay

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Comcast part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and commission was good

Cons

Hours and poor management was horrible

Be more motivating and supportive

HR Rep

I have been working at Comcast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture is nice, and the company encourages internal growth. If you are good at what you do, and you have the drive to succeed, they will invest in you. An obvious pro is the huge discount received on Xfinity products for the home!

Cons

Benefits are well-covered, but expensive compared to other companies.

Made lots of friends... not lots of money

Current Employee - Enterprise Support Supervisor in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Enterprise Support Supervisor in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Comcast full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Your peers are awesome. They will become your best friends. I was able to move up through the company fairly quickly, but hit a ceiling when I got to management. The free cable/ internet/ phone was great. I learned more about cable that anyone would ever want to know. I also got to learn how to work with a variety of diverse people. I am glad I had the opportunity to work for this company. It is sort of like working in food service and retail- everyone should have to do it once in their lifetime, just so they can understand what it is like for the person trying to help them on the other end of the phone.

Cons

The pay scale in my market was about 15k$ lower than the surrounding markets. There was no work/ life balance. It was pretty much work. I had worked for the company for 6 years... and never had the opportunity to enjoy a 8-5 monday-friday schedule. I was always on the later shifts and the weekends days, because I was always low man on the totem pole for shift bids. Every time you get promoted you lose your seniority. Although, this is not a huge problem, because there are few people that get promoted. Pretty much, if you are a phone support person, you will always be a phone support person. There is little to chose from as far as a career path. Training in my facility was pretty good. Managers/ supervisors did much of the team training. and we were required to take a certain number of hours of training a year. The way they do reviews is cruel. If they don't like you, it doesn't matter what your performance is, they will say it didn't matter, and give you a low score on your review. The management team has had improvements since i have left. But while i was there, there was little support from upper management. The team was very self absorbed, and cared little for the staff under them. They had no issues about lying about people on their team for their own gain.

This is not a sweat shop... you have actual people with families working for you. Flexibility is not a bad thing from an employer. You can still be the big dog, and care about your people.