Comcast SportsNet Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

4.1

Jon D. Litner

I should have been paying them!

Former Employee - PR and Marketing Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - PR and Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Comcast SportsNet as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Workplace environment, variety of experiences, plenty of responsibility

Cons

This is not a paid internship

Aside from the fact that this internship really helped me get two subsequent jobs after college, it was an amazing experience. I could have lived in that office. The people are kind and always push interns to do more, gain deep understanding, and get creative with the many projects to which they are assigned. The internship takes you out of the office and into the ballpark twice a week (for home games at Giants and A's stadiums). I highly, highly recommend it if you are able to stomach zero pay!

Studio Intern

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Comcast SportsNet as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great for those trying to get into the production business, this is a major local news network, and with the Bay Area teams doing as well as they are, you know you help contribute to programs with tens of thousands of people watching. Very hands on , during the actual game time, there's at least two hours of down time, where you can go around the studio and learn something else if you'd like.

Cons

My internship was from 3-11pm, which I personally didn't mind too much, but may be an issue for others who have to walk back to a station or car in the empty SOMA district. It's really what you put into this internship, everyone's busy with their own job. Everyone is friendly, but not really out of their way to help, unless you ask yourself

This is the worst place I ever worked.

Former Employee - Broadcast Technician  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Broadcast Technician in Phila, PA

I worked at Comcast SportsNet full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great if you are into sports, especially if you are a Philadelphia sports fan. Decent benefits and 401K. You may even get tickets to sporting events, concerts, etc.

Cons

Top 5 television market that barely pays above minimum wage for some positions. Base salary of other positions are far below industry average and are the worst in the city.

Verbally and mentally abusive managers. I have witnessed workers being physically assaulted by managers. Co-workers punch other co-workers without retribution. The victim is blamed and "brings it upon himself." I've worked at the national level where this behavior would NEVER be tolerated.

Good old boy system. If you're in the clique, you get prime hours and scheduling. You can put out the best work in the place, but it they do not like you, it will mean nothing.

Managers use "narcs" to keep an eye on the staff. The narcs are rewarded with prime schedules and promotions.

Union shop, IBEW 98. Worthless. Negotiated three poor contracts. No base salary increases since the union moved in in 2002. Often sides with management on work related issues.

Your staff is miserable. Your managers have poor people and managerial skills. They play favorites and have used constructive termination on more than one occasion. Freelancers are mishandled and threatened with loss of hours if they do not work hours they are unavailable to work (Family function, etc.).

Your staff are what put and keep you on the air. Pay them for it.

The physical and mental abuse has got to stop.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great family environment, great place to learn

Former Employee - Production  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Production in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Comcast SportsNet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent chance for opportunities, with plenty of room to learn and grow. Strong leadership, open lines of communication, and a family atmosphere that starts with the GM and President and trickles down to the rest of the staff.

Cons

Long hours, including weekends. Low pay compared to other media outlets. Often unorganized despite best intentions.

Continue to grow and lean on a talented staff. Hold underachievers accountable for poor performance.

Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Comcast SportsNet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment to be in. Everything is very low key and positive. Office is in the new part of the.

Cons

At an arena difficult to park get to. Great organizations to work for as long as the teams are playing well. This is crazy.

CSN Bay Area Internship Review

Former Employee - News Development/Social Media Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - News Development/Social Media Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Comcast SportsNet as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Looks great on a resume, valuable experience and friendly people. I was a News Development and Social Media intern and enjoyed the couple months I spent at CSN.

Cons

People who work here full-time are very busy and often don't have much time to help the interns/newer people, leaving them with little to do at times. This was an ongoing problem.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Comcast SportsNet

Pros

The more you ask to do the more they give you to do, the less you ask them to do the less they give you to do. If you want to advance in your career this is a great place to start.

Cons

Lots of employees are working with you as well so sometimes you can be just another number to management.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Comcast SportsNet as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great group of people to work with.

Cons

Hours can vary, working late on weekends, etc.

Horrible

I have been working at Comcast SportsNet

Pros

Some coworkers are easy to get along with but that only takes you so far in your career. Not much else as far as pros go.

Cons

Company is full of underachievers that think they're god's gift to television. People who can barely do their jobs are given high praise while others, who actually work hard, are picked apart. There also feels like there's favoritism, which is in a lot of workplaces but this one may be fueled by race. Just an opinion.

Get your act together and make the environment more enjoyable for your employees.

Wonderful intern experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Comcast SportsNet as an intern for less than a year

Pros

For an internship it was a very hands on experience. I was exposed to many different types of programs that many people have not been so fortunate to work with. Best experience I have had as an intern.

Cons

No openings for a career after my internship, but if there was I would have tried to get it to be able to stay with the company.

Worked for Comcast SportsNet? Contribute to the Community!