Comcast SportsNet

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jon D. Litner

Great family environment, great place to learn

Production (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent chance for opportunities, with plenty of room to learn and grow. Strong leadership, open lines of communication, and a family atmosphere that starts with the GM and President and trickles down to the rest of the staff.

ConsLong hours, including weekends. Low pay compared to other media outlets. Often unorganized despite best intentions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow and lean on a talented staff. Hold underachievers accountable for poor performance.

This is the worst place I ever worked.

Broadcast Technician (Former Employee)
    Phila, PA

ProsGreat if you are into sports, especially if you are a Philadelphia sports fan. Decent benefits and 401K. You may even get tickets to sporting events, concerts, etc.

ConsTop 5 television market that barely pays above minimum wage for some positions. Base salary of other positions are far below industry average and are the worst in the city.

Verbally and mentally abusive managers. I have witnessed workers being physically assaulted by managers. Co-workers punch other co-workers without retribution. The victim is blamed and "brings it upon himself." I've worked at the national level where this behavior would NEVER be tolerated.

Good old boy system. If you're in the clique, you get prime hours and scheduling. You can put out the best work in the place, but it they do not like you, it will mean nothing.

Managers use "narcs" to keep an eye on the staff. The narcs are rewarded with prime schedules and promotions.

Union shop, IBEW 98. Worthless. Negotiated three poor contracts. No base salary increases since the union moved in in 2002. Often sides with management on work related issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour staff is miserable. Your managers have poor people and managerial skills. They play favorites and have used constructive termination on more than one occasion. Freelancers are mishandled and threatened with loss of hours if they do not work hours they are unavailable to work (Family function, etc.).

Your staff are what put and keep you on the air. Pay them for it.

The physical and mental abuse has got to stop.

Intern

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work environment to be in. Everything is very low key and positive. Office is in the new part of the.

ConsAt an arena difficult to park get to. Great organizations to work for as long as the teams are playing well. This is crazy.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CSN Bay Area Internship Review

News Development/Social Media Intern (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsLooks great on a resume, valuable experience and friendly people. I was a News Development and Social Media intern and enjoyed the couple months I spent at CSN.

ConsPeople who work here full-time are very busy and often don't have much time to help the interns/newer people, leaving them with little to do at times. This was an ongoing problem.

Great company to work for.

ProsThe more you ask to do the more they give you to do, the less you ask them to do the less they give you to do. If you want to advance in your career this is a great place to start.

ConsLots of employees are working with you as well so sometimes you can be just another number to management.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee)

ProsGreat group of people to work with.

ConsHours can vary, working late on weekends, etc.

Horrible

ProsSome coworkers are easy to get along with but that only takes you so far in your career. Not much else as far as pros go.

ConsCompany is full of underachievers that think they're god's gift to television. People who can barely do their jobs are given high praise while others, who actually work hard, are picked apart. There also feels like there's favoritism, which is in a lot of workplaces but this one may be fueled by race. Just an opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together and make the environment more enjoyable for your employees.

Wonderful intern experience

Chicago, IL

ProsFor an internship it was a very hands on experience. I was exposed to many different types of programs that many people have not been so fortunate to work with. Best experience I have had as an intern.

ConsNo openings for a career after my internship, but if there was I would have tried to get it to be able to stay with the company.

I enjoyed my time as an Intern.

News Production Intern (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI learned from experience every day I was there.

ConsThere was too much down time between assignments.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure whoever is in charge of interns on a given day has a clear plan of assignments for the interns.

A much more stable job in the media world than a lot of other ones you can find. Not a bad place to start/grow career.

Production (Current Employee)

ProsGreat place to work if you're a sports fan. Lots of co-workers who are obviously sports fans as well, which makes for a fun environment, especially during big games. Opportunity to learn different parts of the production side of the business as well. Fun atmosphere. You're working in news, so it's always a little different every day.

ConsOwned by NBCUniversal, which has pros and cons. The benefits are good, if you can get them. There are plenty of freelance workers who unfortunately get stuck with limited benefits. Performance-based raises are pretty much nonexistent. Small fish in a big pond. Be prepared to not have a normal Mon-Fri 9-5 schedule.

Worked for Comcast SportsNet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Comcast SportsNet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Comcast SportsNet CEO Jon D. Litner. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Comcast SportsNet employees.