Comdata

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.7

Stuart C. Harvey, Jr.

Pros
  • There is a great work/life balance for me and I have been with the company 34years (in 4 reviews)

• Onsite gym and cafeteria is a plus (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management doesn't always "manage down" very well (in 6 reviews)

• You have to be careful at managing your work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great laid back company to work for.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Comdata

Pros

Great place to work, good benefits, managers always willing to work with you on family matters, great cafe. Office culture very laid back.

Cons

Technology a little out-dated, executives sometimes unwilling to put the money into the Comdata applications to keep them current. Internet access pretty locked downed. Fleetcor recently bought Comdata so all the Pros mentioned will probably change.

Good job if you set your expectations appropriately

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Comdata full-time

Pros

Technical opportunities have been very good lately. AD management has taken things in a very positive direction from a technology and methodology point of view.

Cons

Individual contributors have very little input in directional decisions. Too much reliance on outside consultants for technical expertise, not enough consideration of the in-house wisdom and experience of long term employees.

It is your long term employees that are keeping the ship afloat. Much is to be gained by valuing their opinion and experience.

I work at SVS, subsidiary of Comdata. It's be best job I have ever had!

Current Employee - International Liaison Director in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - International Liaison Director in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Comdata full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a professional organization, with good benefits, excellent office space, competitive salaries, and interesting employees.

Cons

The vacation allotment is skimpy for someone who has been at the company for nine years (160 hours total). Also, the life around the main offices in Louisville can be a bit dull, especially compared to the past when we had a lot of fun together.

My advice to SVS Management is, first of all, to keep doing what you're going because, overall, this is a very good company!!

After this -- you could perhaps reward an extra week of vacation for every five years of employment. You could hire an Event Coordinator to work with the Employee Committee in order to jump-start the kind of office activities that would bring some zip to the corporate culture. We do miss a writer/documentarian on staff; this person could also serve as intranet coordinator. Finally, we have an international staff, and it is very good for our US people to meet the international staff.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Comdata full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My director is the best! He genuinely cares for his employees and doesn't try to micro manage. He's jus the greatest. He can be tough if the situation calls for it, but I cannot say enough good things about my supervisor.

Cons

Dont expet any kind of raise, annual or merit.

Considering the billions of dollars brought into this company, please consider rewarding your employees that do outstanding work a little more recognition.

40 year old company managed like a 40 year old company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Comdata full-time

Pros

Not much. With ink not dry from takeover, new parent is already firing people to make Financials work. Many good people to co-work with, if they are still around in a year.

Cons

If the Pro was the best it gets, goes downhill from there! Poor upper management. No purpose or strategy that unifies.

Fire yourselves!

Wonderful people, Amazing opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Comdata full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My manager is amazing and really wants to take the time to develope me and advance my career. Comdata gave me the opportunity to purse my career, and I have loved every moment of it. Everyone is willing to help out if you have a questions or need assistance. There is an open door policy which makes it easy to feel comfortable talking with upper management.

Cons

I have not found many cons other than the building. We could use more windows!

Lackluster Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Comdata

Pros

Fellow workers, on site gym, and OK benefits.

Cons

Incredible supervisory turnover makes it very hard to get a good working relationship going. Change from focusing on the customer to focusing on typical call center numbers does the customer no good. Shady and downright untrustworthy management does more to enhance mistrust instead of trust. No real avenue to move up.

Advice to Fleetcor, who has purchased Comdata. Once you take over, you will be better of removing most of the unproductive and devisive upper management. Concentrate on fostering a good relationship to supervisors and the lower level workers, which has always been Comdata's strengths.

Long and learning experience. Definitely trains you how to work with all kinds of walks of life.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Comdata

Pros

Fun people. Fun events and holiday parties.

Cons

Not a lot of training on any new equipment or software - you learn as you go without anyone showing you how, parking is always full so prepare to be on the grass, management and above could use some thinning out.

Thin yourselves - too many of you
    Bring back food trucks, fun games and activities we used to have there. Everyone misses the fun and games that helped with work stress and allowed us fun times with coworkers.

Despite times of change, Comdata remains a great place to work

Current Employee - Average Joe in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Average Joe in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Comdata full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Knowledgeable co-workers, onsite fitness center, onsite cafeteria, never a dull moment, Comdata seeks to stay one step ahead of the competition, opportunity to develop professionally as long as you apply yourself and do a great job. Casual days and jeans Friday are a plus. Free coffee is nice perk too. Benefits effective on your 1st day.

Cons

Lack of parking, lack of natural light in the building, work-life balance, not open to working from home unless you or your kid is sick.

Share more information about the mission and direction of the company. Once a year pay increases that don't amount to much.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Credit Implementation Representative in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Credit Implementation Representative in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Comdata full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people you work with

Cons

No room to grow, more ongoing training and feedback from employees on the company progress.

Need more people skills