Comerica
www.comerica.com Dallas, TX 5000+ Employees

Comerica Reviews in Auburn Hills, MI

Be The First To
Add Photos

Comerica Chairman, President, and CEO, Comerica Incorporated and Comerica Bank Ralph W. Babb Jr.

Ralph W. Babb Jr.

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Opportunities in Information Technology

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Comerica full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunities exist for project managers, agile developers, solution architects and security and firewall engineers. In addition, some mainframe Cobol opportunities exist for seasoned mainframe programmers.

ConsSome of technologies are not keeping pace with industry. While the company has good IT strategy, many of the projects to implement newer technologies are somewhat behind schedule, but the trend is changing for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven the current strategies beginning to unfold, I believe management realizes the shortfalls and have adopted a new model for IT which should see the operation perform in a more streamlined and efficient approach.

Stable but very old-fashioned and not poised for efficiency or growth

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Comerica full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is a very safe company that takes very few risks and has a fairly stable workforce with relatively low turnover.

ConsThis company is very resistant to change as it still adheres to processes that were developed 30 years ago or more. It attempts to move forward in new technology on a limited basis but is hindered by inefficient and inflexible processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs to fix their nimbleness to be able to effectively apply new technology effectively.

Great Place to Work

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Comerica full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat People, Great Training and Products.

ConsNothing negative to report at this time.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

24 years at Comerica

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Comerica full-time for more than 10 years

ProsComerica generally cares about their employees. The is resistance against outsourcing. Working conditions and environments are good to excellent. The company put a lot of focus and training into improving employee behaviors.

Very low employee turnover in IT.

ConsProcess improvement has been identified as a benefit so a lot of work has been done to improve processes. However, we have processed ourselves to death in several areas. Too many processes and controls when they aren't needed just to say the process has been changed with little real measurement of if the change was positive.

Staff is aging in IT. Many of the key resources are either already at retirement age or very close. Key people have been retiring at an alarming rate as the economy has been improving. industry pressure to do more with less staff have worked against bringing in replacement staff in time to get them trained and up to speed. It also causes problems because some of the senior are twice as productive as junior staff that hasn't completely developed making a one to one replacement not equivalent..

Advice to Senior ManagementComerica is highly critical of their managers. Most tend to focus performance reviews on the few things that went wrong and forget about the thousands of things that went right. This is common to the IT corporate culture. It would improve moral and productivity to focus more on achievements than just misses alone.

Advancement in management is almost non-exsistant for the past several years. Most new managers have been hired from the outside because internal managers and staff are rarely seen as acceptable candidates for promotion versus outside staff without a background at Comerica.

process has stopped all progress

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Comerica full-time for more than a year

Prosmany employees are friendly sometimes

ConsTons of useless process preventing anything from being completed. Passing the buck is typical. Since the process is so painful, people constantly find reasons to avoid work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome times a house is so infested with termites, the only choice is to tear it to the ground and start over. Get rid of the old ways. Get new blood and let them do their job

Its about 50/50

I have been working at Comerica

ProsGreat coworkers, both in team and out of team.
Not confined in certain areas so you an flex your muscle and show your worth.
From what I can tell, unless economy changes things, most employees can retire here.

ConsIn comparison to other places, the technology being used is about 3 to 5 years behind.
There is also a bit of "old business" like practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to open technology. Create a better infrastructure.

Good place to start working if you do not have a college degree.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Comerica

ProsEntry level position with room for advancement. Good starting pay. Amazing benefits for family and same sex couples. Holidays off.

ConsNot understanding of personal issues. Friend was fired when he missed work when his girlfriend was having a baby.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would offer more encouragement to workers independently, not just as a group. Put emphasis and reward on being friendly, not just statistical data.

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Comerica

ProsMostly good, personable people working here.

ConsIt's who you know and how you are liked that are most important here... NOT what you know or how you perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking out for management and start living what you say... Do you REALLY care about your customers?

Beware! Apply with the intentions of staying short-term.

Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Comerica

ProsGreat entry-level opportunities. There are multiple positions that only require a high school diploma. There are also many flexible shifts available, including nights and weekends. Part-time employees are offered medical insurance at the same premiums as the full-time employees. The company matches your 401k contributions to $3000 per year. New employees receive two weeks of vacation their first year on the job. Full-time employees have the option to purchase an extra week of vacation at 120%. Part-time employees have the option to sell vacation time back to the company.

ConsNot much opportunity to move up. There is a large percentage of employees with 20+ years of seniority. Thus, upward mobility is rare. Managers lack management skills. When the company does move up an employee, it doesn't want to give the money to match.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire lower level management to take management classes. Most managers do not have college degrees. Therefore, they have no formal training on how to treat subordinates.

Approach with caution

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Comerica

ProsThey have a respect for diversity and understand work life balance. They look to the employees to be involved in their communities and they will provide the time and resources to do this. They want to be seen as a good corporate citizen.

ConsThere is a very open bias and old boys club. You get ahead by who you know not what you know. There is a real sense of do you fit in with their concept of the position. They have and continue to promote people into positions they have minimal knowledge based on who recommends them, versus what they can bring to the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how your actions affect morale. You need to think before you act.

Worked for Comerica? Contribute to the Community!

Comerica – Why Work for Us?

​​Why Comerica Bank?​​ Extraordinary people. Exciting possibilities. Your success is what's next with Comerica. In the highly competitive world of financial services, there's one thing that sets a company apart-its… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Comerica reviews and ratings in Auburn Hills, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Comerica CEO Ralph W. Babb Jr. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Comerica employees.