Comerica Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
3.2

Comerica Chairman, President, and CEO, Comerica Incorporated and Comerica Bank Ralph W. Babb Jr.
Ralph W. Babb Jr.

Pros
  • Work-life balance is promoted, you cannot take your work home with you (in 22 reviews)

• Company matches your 401k, good benefits, and also able to purchase/sell PTO (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • HIGH sales goals- Comerica needs to expand in order to reach (in 8 reviews)

• No BDOs so deal flow is dependent on the RMs and/or senior management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Tellers are overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Teller/Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Teller/Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Comerica part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent hours, holidays off, 401K match

Cons

I am hired as a part-time teller and I have been working full-time/overtime for over a year without any full-time benefits. I am working at the bank more than any of the full-time workers at my branch. Always short-staffed, being the only CSR in a busy city branch and the personal bankers and management never want to come back and help; apparently it must be degrading to be behind the teller line, even when a load of customers are waiting and two drive-thru tubes and sitting there too. Technology sucks and is way outdated. The focus is too much on sales and hitting numbers just so the upper management can get their bonus. They pressure the teller to bring in the sales and referrals when I have loads of operational stuff to do that goes unnoticed and unappreciated because I can't cold call customers since we don't have time because no one helps! For the amount of work I do, I should AT LEAST be getting full-time benefits. The bankers and management are lazy and sit around gossiping while I run the entire bank. I definitely dread going to work each morning.

Learn how to help with operational tasks! Have the bankers help and have a back-up drawer opened on the teller line. Actually do some work for once!

Ancient Systems and Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Comerica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very family friendly; easy to achieve a work life balance.

Cons

The company has too many managers commanding top salaries while they add NO value to the organization. Free thinking is frowned upon. Management promotes the same "pets" and do nothing to retain smart young talent. HR is a joke. They know first hand the inconsistencies in pay and treatment but do nothing to break the cycle. HR also has no concept of confidentiality.

Eliminate the excessive layers of management; value education and skill; offer competitive wages

Good place to start a career

I have been working at Comerica full-time

Pros

good training and good life balance

Cons

hard to get promoted there

Custody Free Trust Operations DO NOT DO IT!!

Former Employee - Custody Free Trust Operations in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Custody Free Trust Operations in Detroit, MI

I worked at Comerica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a good paying job that has some good people. The company in general I like just not this department at all. Most of the staff are nice.

Cons

I do not recommend this department. No one in the department is willing to stand up and tell the truth about what goes on in this department.

Get a new management team for this department. The senior Analyst is very mean and do not like many people. I just have nothing good to say. The culture sucks big time.

Management more concerned with themselves than the good of the company

I have been working at Comerica full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent to good pay; good benefits; nice people

Cons

Too political to get any real work accomplished. Mid Level to sneior management is more concerned with building their own brand then working for their pay check and the good of the company.

Executive management needs to clean house and put resources in place who are going to truly accomplish meaty goals on time.

There is a lot of turnover within the branch and upper management is not helpful.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Comerica part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best part of my job is my coworkers, besides upper management, I like the people I work with.

Cons

The bonuses are very small and almost not even worth aiming for. You earn $1 for every point, otherwise you refer a DDA and it is 2 points so you earn $2. The sales incentives are low so you don't have to push products, but then you don't earn extra money in bonuses.

Advice for upper management is to be more involved and actually want to genuinely help out the employees. The training is horrible, they are more worried about you knowing about the company culture and history, than how to actually do your job (i.e. learn how to start the process for a loan, ect.)

Still undergoing restructuring. Some good, some bad

Current Employee - Wealth Management
    Current Employee - Wealth Management

I have been working at Comerica full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Most of the steps been taken will prove to be rewarding in the years to come. They have finally realized that technology needs to be upgraded and they are working, heavily, only it. Benefits are really good, but not compensation.

Cons

Not reporting to your line of job. Now everyone reports to the sales manager which means many of our 'non sales' jobs have now become 60% sales, you are now a sales person. Goals have more than doubled and the bonus structure does not reflect it. And, unless you are in one of their main markets, no help with sales. Oh, and do not expect competitive pay. "If you want a higher salary, the best way to accomplish it is to jump to another company."

Some upper managers should learn to be a bit more 'corporate' and keep soem of their comments to themselves. Also, better communication would help morale and understanding of some of the 'restructuring.' Lastly, if morale is not worked on immediately, the company will suffer even more key employee exits.

RPB 2

Current Employee - Personal Banker II
    Current Employee - Personal Banker II

I have been working at Comerica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Outstanding management .

Cons

Very competitive workplace. You have to always keep up with new procedure

Keep up the good work.

Good place to work

Current Employee - International Trade Finance Banker in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - International Trade Finance Banker in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Comerica full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good base salary for a bank, lot of growth potential, good work/life balance.

Cons

Many layers of management, not sure who I report to. Management changes often either moving up or out the door.

Room for growth, heavy sales pressure

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Comerica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is promoted, you cannot take your work home with you. Personal growth and on the job training are great. Some are lucky and get a great office culture. Insurance benefits are not that expensive and are worthwhile. Free program for weight managment and mental health calls. Decent 401K plan with up to full 4% match

Cons

High turn over can lead to lots of over-time, management change is hard for customers to accept and some employees may struggle to adjust. If you do not succeed on your sales, you will have trouble moving up.

Heavy sales pressure leads to poor customer service and stressed out employees. Goals may be too high for some.