Comex Group

www.thecomexgroup.com

Comex Group Reviews

2.1

Marcos Achar Levy

The company offers many challenges in terms of resources but the experience brings a myriad of learning opportunities.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

The company offers an attractive compensation package and management and employees are show a lot of passion and dedication to their work.

Cons

The company lacks strategy and direction which is a result of high turnover in upper management personnel and there have been too many changes that has caused a lot of confusion among the employees.

Upper management needs to create an environment that fosters better cooperation, collaboration and teamwork and provides a motivating culture to its employees.

There is no future for or with this company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

Top management means well, but they can't seem to get their act together. Good people in the wrong positions. It's hard to think of anything more positive than that to say.

Cons

Mediocre pay. Terrible benefits. The individual companies that make up the group were all doing fine before Comex acquired them. Then they just ruined everything.

Leave it to the people who know the industry. Trust in the people who built the company.

Left blowing in the wind

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Farmington, NM
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Farmington, NM

Pros

none to share. If I had not had any previous experience I would have not stayed as long as I did. All I can say is that my DM was approachable and the Credit Supervisor was always willing to work with my open accounts.

Cons

Insurance, Computer systems, Corporate offices, inventory control systems, sales reps, and much more. I was promoted to a commercial store but had to take a personal loan out to move with no help from Comex group. I also was told the store I was getting was closed on Saturdays, one main decision factor for my acceptance. When I arrived I was ordered to start opening my store on Saturdays. I was sold short on salary, it was non-negotiable. Trucks never arrived on time or just did not show up. Inventory was a joke, I had 200 mistinted gallons of inventory in stock not written off. When I made it aware to upper management I was told to sell it as is and not write it off. The computer systems were so out dated that the main registers were on green screen. I had employees that had worked for the company for 5 years that had never been to a training session.

Lead by example. This company expected 70+ work weeks, short staff, no computer or upper management support. I was even harassed by discharged employees, sales reps, and contractors. I hope Sherwin Williams can turn this around.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incomprehensible!!!! Complete failure to ATTEMPT to understand the businesses they purchased.

Pros

Long term employees from Kwal, Frazee, General, Parker, and Duckback have been the only thing floating this boat! Very recently replaced incompetent senior management with seasoned, savvy, experienced industry professionals from within the ranks. Too little, too late; SW now taking over.

Cons

Paint Company hires sellers of pizza, sandwiches, video games, cereal, movie rentals, car fabric, and consultants in key Commercial roles to reinvigorate sales and profits! In other news, Rockies hire Vidal Sassoon as Manager to help them win the World Series!!!

Should have hired a smart COO like Gabriel Conejo a long time ago - he is the right guy, then get the hell out of the way. We made several owners before Comex very happy. Don't meddle with what you refuse to understand. Highly profitable companies brought to their knees due to Comex ineptitude and arrogance!!!!

Incompetent management ruining a company

Current Employee - Store Sales  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Store Sales in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Co-workers and loyal customers are the key. Besides that there is very little pro

Cons

Where to start? Comex took over a profitable company and tried to fix what wasn't broken. They turned a profitable company like Color Wheel Paint into a bottom feeder and on top of that they are the worst motivators. Lead by implementing fear and downplay happiness. If one mistinted 1gal of paint, there was 3 forms to be filled out. Now everyone jumps ship because SW is taking over. Thanks Family Achar for ruining our Future May all the money you are getting for this sale to SW bring you nothing but grieve and sadness.

Go back to your previous jobs that is not paint sales related. Most of these guys use their overpaid jobs as resume stuffers

Could be a great place to work with competent management

Current Employee - Soon to BE Unemployed After Buyout  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Soon to BE Unemployed After Buyout in Denver, CO

Pros

Nice friendly people and laid back environment in the corporate office. The very bad moral has almost brought people together to get thru a tough time in the company. Salary is decent - benefits are not so good.

Not so nice for the people at the stores who are underpaid, overworked and under appreciated.

Cons

Management is one of the worst I have ever seen. It is almost as if the company purposefully wanted to hire the worst managers - because one would think it be impossible to get it wrong so many times. Only time you hear from your manager is when you do 1 thing wrong - The other 99 things you did very well go un-noticed.

Go back to school and re-take business 101. How you managed to run this company into the ground is a miracle. Company is bleeding money while they travel around the country spending like there is no tomorrow.

How a profitable , respectable and proud company, Kwal has turned into a chaotic mess Comex

Current Employee - Stores  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Stores in Denver, CO

Pros

There are none at this point .

Cons

Mismanagement from the time Kwal was purchased to now ! Currently we have a high school kid and ex-jock running the Stores side . Their vision is limited and juvenile at best . It's not their fault , it's all they know . Decisions have no strategic thought applied and are typically made " off the cuff ". The reputation that Kwal once had as a dominant , agile , " know your customer " type of business has gone to a sterile almost antiseptic attitude from the leadership . The Stores, Sales , District Managers and Sales Managers side of this business to include customers are very rarely asked for input to correct the problems that are created by corporate. Our most important asset , to be sure ! Inventory shortages , staffing shortages , antiquated equipment , no training ( Amazing Training ?? what a joke ) contributed mightily to the downfall of a once great and proud company , Kwal . Oh and if your not one of " the boys " forget it , no opportunity for contributing much less promotions. Poor pay , lousy benefits , and a work environment that threatens or pressures employees to resign ( Asset Management ) . Upper management spends like crazy while the Stores are mandated to reduce " hours " in the Stores . Golf , multiple hundreds of dollars on meals , using frequent flyer mileage that the company paid for personal use . I could go on and on but what's the point ? A Company that has ( had ) a wealth of talent , commitment , dedication and loyalty has been burned to the ground . Shame on you !!

Hang up the cleats . Hopefully most of you will never be in a position to ruin another company and affect so many hard working employees lives again !! Eternal shame on you !!

Life-balance, career opportunity, great experience as marketing intern

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in San Diego, CA

Pros

Life balance
    Career Opportunity
    Great Manager
    Global Company

Cons

week hr
    employees no motivated
    departments not integrated

Mess!

Pros

some good people across the organization; international experience; opportunities to work on cross-functional projects for those who are interested

Cons

Leadership in the USA has no idea how to get company out of the crisis; extremely political environment where favoritism and schmoozing flourish; incompetence of the upper management in the corporate office; desire to achieve positive bottom line results at any cost. Some people just come to work and collect their paycheck without contributing. A lot of incompetent and vain people in the key positions.

Resign and let SW succeed where you failed.

Most out of control mess I have ever seen.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

Pros

There are plenty of things that need to be done, so it never gets boring. Laid back corporate culture. Better than average pay. Some good talent at the corporate office. Internal promotion like nothing you have ever seen or heard of. The situation is improving.

Cons

Inconsistent and poorly communicated leadership vision. Out of control sales organization. Functional silos and conflicting goals. Things seem to have been allowed to be made to be way more complicated than they need to be. Lots of projects and ideas, not much completion and execution. Field vs. corporate mentality is deeply ingrained in the stores. Very little accountability. Big titles are handed out like crazy, people have gone from manger to director to VP in a matter of a few months, on numerous occasions. The SW buyout isn't likely to be good for the Denver folks.

Instead of trying to solve all the problems at once, pick the top two or three most critical issues and focus the resources to handle them effectively.

Worked for Comex Group? Contribute to the Community!