Comex Group Reviews

1. Comex by Sherwin Williams

Former Employee - Vice President Operations in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Vice President Operations in Denver, CO

I worked at Comex Group

Pros

Local Leadership was great with positive communication

Cons

Operations efficiencies between existing brands was poorly executed

Expand offerings to help compete with Big Box Retailers, Create a point of difference

2. Run Run Run

I worked at Comex Group

Pros

There weren't any... Took good companies and ruined them. Then ran back to Mexico not worrying about the careers they ruined.

Cons

They nickel and dimed company assets, ruined quality products with changing of essential ingredients.

3. Great employer until they quit paying bills

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Comex Group full-time

Pros

The days went very fast, explaining to suppliers that we had no money

Cons

explaining to suppliers that we had no money

Thanks for selling before we lost our pensions

5. There is no future for or with this company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Comex Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Top management means well, but they can't seem to get their act together. Good people in the wrong positions. It's hard to think of anything more positive than that to say.

Cons

Mediocre pay. Terrible benefits. The individual companies that make up the group were all doing fine before Comex acquired them. Then they just ruined everything.

Leave it to the people who know the industry. Trust in the people who built the company.

6. The company offers many challenges in terms of resources but the experience brings a myriad of learning opportunities.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Comex Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company offers an attractive compensation package and management and employees are show a lot of passion and dedication to their work.

Cons

The company lacks strategy and direction which is a result of high turnover in upper management personnel and there have been too many changes that has caused a lot of confusion among the employees.

Upper management needs to create an environment that fosters better cooperation, collaboration and teamwork and provides a motivating culture to its employees.

7. Left blowing in the wind

Current Employee - Store Manager in Farmington, NM
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Farmington, NM

I have been working at Comex Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

none to share. If I had not had any previous experience I would have not stayed as long as I did. All I can say is that my DM was approachable and the Credit Supervisor was always willing to work with my open accounts.

Cons

Insurance, Computer systems, Corporate offices, inventory control systems, sales reps, and much more. I was promoted to a commercial store but had to take a personal loan out to move with no help from Comex group. I also was told the store I was getting was closed on Saturdays, one main decision factor for my acceptance. When I arrived I was ordered to start opening my store on Saturdays. I was sold short on salary, it was non-negotiable. Trucks never arrived on time or just did not show up. Inventory was a joke, I had 200 mistinted gallons of inventory in stock not written off. When I made it aware to upper management I was told to sell it as is and not write it off. The computer systems were so out dated that the main registers were on green screen. I had employees that had worked for the company for 5 years that had never been to a training session.

Lead by example. This company expected 70+ work weeks, short staff, no computer or upper management support. I was even harassed by discharged employees, sales reps, and contractors. I hope Sherwin Williams can turn this around.

8. Incomprehensible!!!! Complete failure to ATTEMPT to understand the businesses they purchased.

I have been working at Comex Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long term employees from Kwal, Frazee, General, Parker, and Duckback have been the only thing floating this boat! Very recently replaced incompetent senior management with seasoned, savvy, experienced industry professionals from within the ranks. Too little, too late; SW now taking over.

Cons

Paint Company hires sellers of pizza, sandwiches, video games, cereal, movie rentals, car fabric, and consultants in key Commercial roles to reinvigorate sales and profits! In other news, Rockies hire Vidal Sassoon as Manager to help them win the World Series!!!

Should have hired a smart COO like Gabriel Conejo a long time ago - he is the right guy, then get the hell out of the way. We made several owners before Comex very happy. Don't meddle with what you refuse to understand. Highly profitable companies brought to their knees due to Comex ineptitude and arrogance!!!!

9. Incompetent management ruining a company

Current Employee - Store Sales in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Store Sales in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Comex Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers and loyal customers are the key. Besides that there is very little pro

Cons

Where to start? Comex took over a profitable company and tried to fix what wasn't broken. They turned a profitable company like Color Wheel Paint into a bottom feeder and on top of that they are the worst motivators. Lead by implementing fear and downplay happiness. If one mistinted 1gal of paint, there was 3 forms to be filled out. Now everyone jumps ship because SW is taking over. Thanks Family Achar for ruining our Future May all the money you are getting for this sale to SW bring you nothing but grieve and sadness.

Go back to your previous jobs that is not paint sales related. Most of these guys use their overpaid jobs as resume stuffers

Could be a great place to work with competent management

Current Employee - Soon to BE Unemployed After Buyout in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Soon to BE Unemployed After Buyout in Denver, CO

I have been working at Comex Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice friendly people and laid back environment in the corporate office. The very bad moral has almost brought people together to get thru a tough time in the company. Salary is decent - benefits are not so good.

Not so nice for the people at the stores who are underpaid, overworked and under appreciated.

Cons

Management is one of the worst I have ever seen. It is almost as if the company purposefully wanted to hire the worst managers - because one would think it be impossible to get it wrong so many times. Only time you hear from your manager is when you do 1 thing wrong - The other 99 things you did very well go un-noticed.

Go back to school and re-take business 101. How you managed to run this company into the ground is a miracle. Company is bleeding money while they travel around the country spending like there is no tomorrow.

How a profitable , respectable and proud company, Kwal has turned into a chaotic mess Comex

Current Employee - Stores in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Stores in Denver, CO

I have been working at Comex Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are none at this point .

Cons

Mismanagement from the time Kwal was purchased to now ! Currently we have a high school kid and ex-jock running the Stores side . Their vision is limited and juvenile at best . It's not their fault , it's all they know . Decisions have no strategic thought applied and are typically made " off the cuff ". The reputation that Kwal once had as a dominant , agile , " know your customer " type of business has gone to a sterile almost antiseptic attitude from the leadership . The Stores, Sales , District Managers and Sales Managers side of this business to include customers are very rarely asked for input to correct the problems that are created by corporate. Our most important asset , to be sure ! Inventory shortages , staffing shortages , antiquated equipment , no training ( Amazing Training ?? what a joke ) contributed mightily to the downfall of a once great and proud company , Kwal . Oh and if your not one of " the boys " forget it , no opportunity for contributing much less promotions. Poor pay , lousy benefits , and a work environment that threatens or pressures employees to resign ( Asset Management ) . Upper management spends like crazy while the Stores are mandated to reduce " hours " in the Stores . Golf , multiple hundreds of dollars on meals , using frequent flyer mileage that the company paid for personal use . I could go on and on but what's the point ? A Company that has ( had ) a wealth of talent , commitment , dedication and loyalty has been burned to the ground . Shame on you !!

Hang up the cleats . Hopefully most of you will never be in a position to ruin another company and affect so many hard working employees lives again !! Eternal shame on you !!

Comex Group Photos