Comfort One

www.comfortoneshoes.com

Comfort One Reviews

1.4

Morris Brenton

I don't like having to be pushy

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Comfort One part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good pay , and hours,days off.

Cons

may not meet sales goals for commission because they put way too many employees on the floor

hire less people. make it possible to reach commission

Absolutely awful.

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Comfort One part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to see a lot of how the shoe business works. Many staff around you will know why there are certain brands in the store versus others, and you also get a lot of experience with the boxes (packing up, shipping, unpacking, and putting away). Hope you're not afraid of heights because you'll definitely be climbing on ladders to get shoes down. There are definitely days where you'll get a work out.

Cons

Management is so disorganized. There are all these rules and then you find out that no one follows them. Stores are often outdated in look and furniture is tattered and torn (usually stained). Requests passed along from customers are ignored. Professionalism is very low. For the kinds of shoes they sell, you would expect a better all around experience. You also must deal with some of the crankiest customers, usually middle aged women who's feet hurt and don't want to pay the prices of the shoes in the store (and often times stinky feet - yes you have to touch them).

Listen to the employees! They don't constantly ask for brands because they want them, customers are demanding them. Think about streamlining policies. Foster a family feel that is oriented toward customer service. Stop encouraging questionable sales tactics. Please put everyone out of the pain that is Imagine.

Abuses the term "At will" Employment.

Former Employee - Sales Associate- Key Holder in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate- Key Holder in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Comfort One full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- It's better than being unemployed.
    - It's a slower environment as there are shoes that cost in the upper $400 so not for everybody. (can be a con too)
    - Stores are usually located in good neighborhoods.

Cons

- I haven't heard of anybody making commissions besides the Vice President.
    - They let you know upfront that it's an "at-will" employment. You can quit at any time without reason and they can fire you anytime without ever having to give you any reason. You feel nervous and anxious as far as job security goes.
    - I worked at the store in Gaithersburg, MD and that summer the AC was down and we were forced to work in 100's degrees temperature for weeks. At times they agreed we close the store but that also meant "no pay" for us. It took an employee's letter to OSHA to get them to move faster to fix it.
    - Lets go of employees regularly to avoid having to pay for unemployment.
    - Too anal about everything, yet the pay is very low, even for management.
    - You are forbidden to tell/ask about your colleagues' salary. But my manager told me anyway and he barely made $14 an hour as a store manager and that is salary, not hourly.
    - Overall, this company is for desperate people who need something temporarily, going through a hurdle.

You want employees to provide first class customer service, putting shoes on people's feet, handling their feet, measuring them, etc... Pay them "first class" as well.

Bad upper management leads to dissatisfied populace

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Comfort One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quality Product
    Base hourly with commission is great if you are in a store with good flow
    Generous vacation and sick days: good luck being granted their use.

Cons

They like to save money by having the fewest possible amount of workers at each location. This leads to overwork with no margins for emergencies or unseen events. This also leads to playing fast and loose with the worker's safety having 1 person to open or close only--- often with only one person working in slower locations for an entire shift with no breaks.

really boring and painful

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at Comfort One

Pros

make some money but i dont think it is worth it

Cons

bad management, terrible working conditions, unfair treatment, did not listen to customers requests

DO not work here. Someone once told me that they would 'steal my soul'. . .Definitely came close.

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Comfort One part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy work. Laid back management, a little too laid back. Upper management (atleast in the stores I worked in) hated their jobs so they were not to tough on everyone else.

Cons

Terrible pay, VERY VERY VERY boring. Too many people staffed at once, and almost impossible to make commision unless you are sent to one of their two or three busy stores.

cheer up, treat your employees better, pay more hourly.

Horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Comfort One

Pros

It is really difficult to think of anything positive about this company. It is better than unemployment although even that is debatable when you think of all the useless procedures and the atrocious computer system. I guess you get exposed to good shoe brands that seldom make it into regular department stores.

Cons

This company is privately owned, and manages to combine the worst practices of a large corporation (very formal, prefer to spend money on secret shoppers rather than on employee raises, ridiculous dress code) and a small business (constant payroll issues, deceptive recruitment tactics). You will NEVER make anything close to what they promise you during an interview. Constant stock issues - the chances of having something available are 50% at best. The computer system freezes every half hour.

The pay structure is hourly OR commission. Unless you are in a VERY high volume store, this means that no matter how much running around you do, and how hard you work, you will almost NEVER get anything over your hourly rate. Once a month you have to attend a managers' meeting in DC, where one poor sod is chosen by the owner to recite the company mantra in a humiliating procedure, and then given a twenty like a servant. You cannot sit down unless you are performing some other idiotic task, like changing the way shoes are positioned in a box.

Beware of this company. They constantly run Craigslist ads, offer positions that do not exist, promise you the earth, and then you find yourself running shoes back and forth to the stock room with poor a/c making 10 bucks an hour.

Please put forward a salary plus commission system like any other sales organization; get rid of the horrid dress code - ties are in the way!!!! oh and customers DO NOT WANT to get on the machine to get their feet measured, do not force them.