CommScope Reviews

Updated October 12, 2014
3.2

CommScope President & CEO Marvin (Eddie) S. Edwards, Jr
Marvin (Eddie) S. Edwards, Jr

Pros
  • Work Environment is great, with very good Benefits and Great Challenges (in 6 reviews)

• Good people and work environment, focus on customer solutions (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • it's hard to believe there is any more costs left to cut once the good ole boy machine (aka - everyone knows that is Hickory (in 5 reviews)

• Too much good ole boy mentality within WIG group (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It is the people that makes the company

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Warren, NJ

I worked at CommScope full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Commraderie - the people are willing to work together with each other and help each other, in general people are very pleasant, helpful and get the work done.

Cons

The company is extended across many states and national boundaries and the culture varies from location to location but in general different locations work well together. The projects are also spreaded out among different locations, nevertheless, the work gets done.

Good people, terrible benefits, ok pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at CommScope full-time

Pros

Good and friendly people to work with, most of the employees have been around for many years, so the turnover rate is not high. Flexible schedule and easy job, feels like a govt job.

Cons

Little room for career progress, most of the employees are "holding" onto their job. Benefits getting worst every year and pay is just about ok not adjusting to high inflation rate.

I like it here, but I think I could make more money elsewhere.

Current Employee - Salaried in Catawba, NC
    Current Employee - Salaried in Catawba, NC

I have been working at CommScope full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people are great to work with. Only a few rotten apples. Not usually very stressful else I'd look elsewhere for more compensation.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.

Promote more from within. Quit hiring people in as Vice Presidents. We already have enough VPs. These people are hired after bouncing from job to job with as little as 2 years at each job. When did it become desireable to hire people who can't seem to hold a job for long?

Great Director, but upper management sucks.

Former Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Warren, NJ

I worked at CommScope full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

commute, colleagues, free coffee, free bagels at meetings

Cons

VP had no clue as to hoe to grow the business

go back to school

IT Department has issues

Former Employee - SAP Business Process Analyst in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - SAP Business Process Analyst in Joliet, IL

I worked at CommScope full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

--Mature SAP system with good opportunity to see a number of standard and custom business processes with large volume
    --Strong manufacturing planning expertise

Cons

--Uskilled people managers in the IT department create a culture that's very closed and that does not value diversity of thought or other diversity in employees. My experience was negative in terms of culture.

--Clean out your IT house and start again with professional IT folks who actually know how to be people managers as well. There are a ton of great people in the marketplace and you could build on your strengths to create a really great, supportive IT culture.
    --"The Business" treats its people well; IT folks are not valued as much - note the large attrition from IT in 2011-2012

Great place to work, casual working environment

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at CommScope full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, relaxed working environment, new technologies

Cons

yearly rise is not good, although bonus provision is there, hardly get paid since it depends on performance of division which is so for not achieved

Interaction with all levels of the organization both domestically and internationally.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hickory, NC

I have been working at CommScope full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Manufacturing excellence, tremendous amount of talented individuals, strong product portfolio with growth potential in many areas, ethical, honest, strong culture but changing from "community" to world class, stability in leadership,

Cons

Policies and practices are dated in many aspects, company promotes wireless/mobile lifestyle via products but struggles to realize the importance and benefits of flexible work scheduling, losing life work balance as cost cutting and more with less has and will continue to take its toll on the workforce

Though issues are not CommScope centric it would be prudent to conduct an employee survey. Not sure what could be done, but people would appreciate being heard and would welcome opportunity to dialogue on issues critical to employees

Poor Management

Current Employee - Training Department in Catawba, NC
    Current Employee - Training Department in Catawba, NC

I have been working at CommScope full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Pay and gracious number of paid Holidays.

Cons

Terrible benefits and company is run poorly these days.. Sending all our jobs to China.

You need to stop being so selfish and quit thinking about just yourselves al the, titme and think about the middle, very loyal man that has workded very hard for you, and you have kicked them out the door. These workers have been there 20, 30, 40 years.

Used to be a pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Catawba, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Catawba, NC

I have been working at CommScope full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Halfway decent pay and benefits. The benefits dwindle every year where we are paying more and getting less as far as insurance goes.

Cons

I will say that it wasn't always like this. I could only assume that as the company got bigger the employees mattered less and less. I really hate to break it to the corporate big wigs, but the employees are the ones who make money for the company while the execs are the ones who cost the company money. I and a lot of other people used to actually enjoy working at CommScope.

Management is fairly incompetent and to a degree unqualified, but then again cronyism is very much alive and well at this company.

First off try being positive to the employees for a change. You may not believe this, but telling them that they might be losing their jobs every chance you get does absolutely zero for morale. Most people I work with could care less about their jobs now because well why should they? Why care when you may not even have a job next month, or next year according to the constant negativity you shovel out to your own employees.

This company has a lot of employees who have stayed loyal to the company for decades which is a whole lot more than I can say about those in corporate. I think it's about time they started treating them with the respect they deserve instead of just a number that can be tossed out like the near thousand other people I have seen get laid off since I have been there.

security guard-watch inside and outside of bank

Current Employee - Armed Security Officer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Armed Security Officer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CommScope full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

i was armed for the first 5 years

Cons

employer was very bad in understanding all things.