CommScope

Updated August 15, 2014

3.3

CommScope President & CEO Marvin (Eddie) S. Edwards, Jr
Marvin (Eddie) S. Edwards, Jr

Pros
  • Good benefits, relaxed working environment, new technologies (in 5 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, Good work environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • it's hard to believe there is any more costs left to cut once the good ole boy machine (aka - everyone knows that is Hickory (in 5 reviews)

• Too much good ole boy mentality within WIG group (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Management

Current Employee - Training Department  in  Catawba, NC
    Current Employee - Training Department in Catawba, NC

Pros

Great Pay and gracious number of paid Holidays.

Cons

Terrible benefits and company is run poorly these days.. Sending all our jobs to China.

You need to stop being so selfish and quit thinking about just yourselves al the, titme and think about the middle, very loyal man that has workded very hard for you, and you have kicked them out the door. These workers have been there 20, 30, 40 years.

Used to be a pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Catawba, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Catawba, NC

Pros

Halfway decent pay and benefits. The benefits dwindle every year where we are paying more and getting less as far as insurance goes.

Cons

I will say that it wasn't always like this. I could only assume that as the company got bigger the employees mattered less and less. I really hate to break it to the corporate big wigs, but the employees are the ones who make money for the company while the execs are the ones who cost the company money. I and a lot of other people used to actually enjoy working at CommScope.

Management is fairly incompetent and to a degree unqualified, but then again cronyism is very much alive and well at this company.

First off try being positive to the employees for a change. You may not believe this, but telling them that they might be losing their jobs every chance you get does absolutely zero for morale. Most people I work with could care less about their jobs now because well why should they? Why care when you may not even have a job next month, or next year according to the constant negativity you shovel out to your own employees.

This company has a lot of employees who have stayed loyal to the company for decades which is a whole lot more than I can say about those in corporate. I think it's about time they started treating them with the respect they deserve instead of just a number that can be tossed out like the near thousand other people I have seen get laid off since I have been there.

Good when it was Andrew but after Commscope took over it went down hill fast

Former Employee - Electronics Technician  in  Forest, VA
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Forest, VA

Pros

It was a decent place to work when it was Andrew because they didnt have the educational credential policy for all positions although management still needed to be changed to an electrical engineer. The vacation is good.

Cons

The electronics manufacturing is run by management who doesnt have a clue about how electronics works. Employees on the manufacturing floor are treated with disrespect and get the impression from management that we are "beneath" them. When you tell them about a technical problem they act like you dont know what you are talking about even though you are the one with a degree and experience in electronics. Also, they have educational credetialistic poilices in place to keep you from ever advancing beyond your current position without going back to school. Nevermind the fact you have the skills, ability, and knowledge to do the job, or that you meet or exceed every other requirement for the job. UNITED HEALTH CARE HIGH DEDUCTABLE INSURANCE THAT DOESNT COVER ANYTHING AND IS REDICULOUSLY PRICED. Also, no career advancement opportunites for manufacturing employees (only management and salaried employees).

Put someone in charge of an electronics operation that has an electronics background (i.e electrical engineer) instead of a business management major. Also, get rid of the educational credential requirements for positions and promote from within first!!! You are losing valuable personnel to other companies (who dont have those policies and who do promote from within) because of these policies. And the strange thing about the educational credential policy is that there are people in positions that require those credentials but dont have them and this sends mixed signals and indicates favoritism. AND GET RID OF UNITED HEALTH CARE - THEIR INSURANCE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Pros

Lots of traveling if you enjoy it. Management is supportive. You learn something.

Cons

Compartementalisation. Not enough team-building. Some people are kept out of the loop. The training sucks. Not is enough resources to learn and grow. My growth and learning is way slower than I expected. Not enough mix of responsibilities. Given my 14-15 hours days, I feel exploited which I know I am.

Need work on team-building.

Good

Former Employee - Sales Director  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Good Market
    Good Set of Solutions
    Very focus

Cons

Larger corporation make it slow to move faster
    Must obtained better positioning of all solutions so it can be even greater

Keep your focus and the company will succeed

Good Work Environment

Current Employee - Manufacturing Floor Employee  in  Claremont, NC
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Floor Employee in Claremont, NC

Pros

Friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable co-workers
    Excellent supervisors who provide as much information, support, and problem resolution as they can
    Safe and clean work environment (within reason - it's a manufacturing facility, so some hazards and detritus from processes to be expected)
    4-on/4-off 12-hr work schedule for floor employees

Cons

No sense of job security due to history of layoffs, closing of US plants, and opening of facilities in cheaper labor markets (i.e. China and India)
    As in most companies today, the pervasive impression that next quarter's profits for investors, and officer's salaries/bonuses, are paramount, despite (or perhaps as a result of) assertions to the contrary

Don't underestimate and undervalue your employees. Most work hard, strive to exceed standards, and take pride in the work they do and the products they create. We boast about how much quality product we expeditiously produce and berate ourselves for our errors and scrap. We're a fiercely loyal bunch, often refusing cable projects and services where CommScope products aren't used. We'd like to see some of that loyalty returned in the form of "greater good" thinking instead of strictly "greater profit" thinking.

Wow, just wow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

Pros

You don't have to pay for parking (surprising for as cheap as this company is!)
    Cafeteria is quite nice
    It's a paycheck

Cons

They say that Carlyle is good at cost-cutting... it's hard to believe there is any more costs left to cut once the good ole boy machine (aka - everyone knows that is Hickory!) got rid of them.

This used to be an awesome company to work for (when it was Andrew). Now, manager's work you like crazy to make THEM look good and they never give the recognition which you are do after making them look good. Manager's didn't necessarily change per se - I mean, some did, - but rather the Hickory mentality slowly trickled in the doors of Andrew :(

I hope that the machine in Hickory is rocked to it's very core once Carlyle takes over and they get a taste of their own medicine! Perhaps they'll even close down Hickory - that would be sad............... all those VP's applying at Wal-Mart and Wendy's.........

Stop acting like dictators and start acting like manager's and recognizing that the people on the lower levels are WHY you are WHERE you are in your career.

You've got to be Kidding...

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Joliet, IL

Pros

It's a job... the only adventure is wondering how it got this bad.
    there are some great people here with their heads in the right place, but they are in the minority.

Cons

If they want to make your job miserable, they will find a way, ask any factory worker.

Some managers only point out the bad... never the good.

The merger with Andrew was awful. Andrew was clearly the better company/mgmt. of the 2 to work for.

Every year they degrade a benefit... just enough to upset you.

People in hickory come off as arrogant.

I will not give these mgmt types my expertise... they can go fly a kite... better yet. go golfing... they do that well...

Worked for CommScope? Contribute to the Community!