CommVault

Updated Mar 18, 2014

CommVault Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Hammer

Bob Hammer

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Team Lead in development.

Team Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at CommVault full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood product, Good technology exposure

ConsSometimes too much work, work pressure can be high depending on team. Over all who works hard and smart can grow easily otherwise can take reverse effect too.

Flexible company

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at CommVault full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, flexible timings, good vacation policy, good work culture

ConsStartup like mindset even though it deals in developing an enterprise product.

Good company

Intern Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at CommVault as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople are kind. Not very tired woking in Commvault. But I was an intern. The full time employee is very busy.

ConsLunch is not very good. So many of them bring their own lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery friendly

Test Engineer

Test Engineer (Current Employee)
Oceanport, NJ

I have been working at CommVault full-time for less than a year

Pros- Nice relaxed environment
- Work Flexibility , Option to work from home
- No micro-management
- Freedom to express your ideas
- Good benefits , Good paid time off
- Company Stocks
- Bagel Fridays, Ice Cream truck in summers, 25 cent soda, onsite gym etc
- New state of art building in construction ...

Cons- Communication within departments is not that good
- Management not that enthusiastic to adopt new processes
- Though you get to work in latest technologies , you can get into a comfort zone

Advice to Senior Management- Set up some good communication processes
- Encourage more innovation
- Hire talented employees only

Top Notch company.

Lead Generation Specialist (Current Employee)
Oceanport, NJ

I have been working at CommVault as a contractor for less than a year

ProsVery employee driven, great environment, great management in place. feels like family.

Conswould like to see them think about making the temp positions permanent, for i feel they contribute a lot to the success of the company.

Gets away with a lot due to location

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at CommVault full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- One of the only tech jobs in NJ.
- You can learn a lot about the Storage industry which is valuable.
- Despite working there being abysmal at best, the company is still doing well, no idea how.

Cons- Horrible management, or lack there of. There used to be good management, but they all left because they no longer wanted to work there.
- Arbitrary procedures and practices.
- Arbitrary hiring practices.
- If you are good at your job, they will do everything they can NOT to promote you so that you stay in the role they want you in.
- On the other hand, if you are bad , they will promote you into a supervisory role just to get you out of there.
- They bonus supervisors on their team's performance. No bonus' to individual contributors.
- Compensation is all over the place. Some people make 100K + Some make 30K, doing the same job!
- Higher ups like the CEO and others have no visibility into the inner workings of the company. They do not visit engineering or support.
- Engineering is very segmented from support. Engineers are trained to be annoyed with escalations and not share their knowledge.
- In order to address the growing need for 24x7 coverage they paid one employee 15K a year to just be on-call always. This, of course, is much cheaper than actually hiring 24x7 coverage.
- Nepotism runs rampant. People are promoted and hired based on nothing other than whom they know.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the industry. Try to retain good employees. Reward expertise, do not reward failure.

Caution

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at CommVault full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay, good benefits, stock is doing very well. Opportunity to work for a company that is the leader in the magic quadrant. Competent technical peers.

ConsCompany is overly focused on driving the deal and over managing the process. Engineering is focused only on new features rather than management of the product which makes it overly complex. Sales management focuses more on scrutiny rather than removing obstacles to selling. Sales teams get bogged down from selling with existing customer technical issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on management of the product and trust sales to know how to sell. Create a customer service organization.

think twice before joining

Principal Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at CommVault full-time for more than 8 years

Proscompany is doing good and compensation is good.

Consin engineering from top to bottom there is favourism/nepotism.
biggest skill needed to succeed is getting close to vp and his chronies.

Advice to Senior Managementfix your engineering , otherwise it will be too late.

so so

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Oceanport, NJ

I worked at CommVault full-time for more than a year

ProsGrowing market share.. profits are increasing... so sticking around may be rewarding in few years... i.e if your manager needs you....If you are servile... Customers used to buy Simpana because it was the cheapest.... Backup and Recovery is a low margin business... so the market leaders do not add new features unless there was a big revenue opportunity. Commvault was/is ready to develop anything for customers. It is a good virtue in this market and it gave them foothold and now it is too late for big guys (losers) to switch to Commvault's model. Commvault has added lots of features over the last several years... It takes long time for a competitor to do the same...
All Commvault can offer to customers is in one place... a single product that has so many features... Its brings up its own problems however.. But it is better than having multiple products that cannot be used together...

Customers are voting with their wallets... no one can dispute that...

ConsThe pros say it all....Managers know nothing outside of their s/w... and they think they are very technical... and want to give technology leadership to R&D projects... No original research.. .just a reverse-engineering shop... According to them manufacturing leather covers for latest iPhone should be considered as 'staying at the forefront of cutting edge technology". If you work here for few years you will be useless outside... you will learn all bad ways of doing things... very little original R&D... It is just copying features from competitors...

Products are developed because the employees work like dogs... not because there is a good R&D process.... Commvault puts every new thing in the old bottle...

Don't join here if you don't like copying other companies products...Last time I heard they were copying Drop Box. :-)
The only thing that CommVault can be proud of is managing a large monolithic product.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop copying other companies products... Develop a original product...
Advice to VP of Engineering... if you have to test the product to make developers do better unit testing.... something is fundamentally wrong with your culture...

Overall a good internship experience

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Long Branch, NJ

I have been working at CommVault as an intern for less than a year

ProsAccomodation, food and transporation provided.

ConsLack of new technology, most of the interns hired for QA .

Advice to Senior Managementtrust your employees and start giving the more responsibility

Worked for CommVault? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CommVault reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CommVault CEO Bob Hammer. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by CommVault employees.