CommVault

Updated December 20, 2014
3.8

CommVault Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Hammer
Bob Hammer

Pros
  • Good product, One Interface for managing entire enterprise worth of backups (in 11 reviews)

• Great product (although complicated for customers) (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of all the above your work/life balance is gone for a toss (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management team works on direct orders by US (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CommVault full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to work, working like family, product mgmt are always support

Cons

Benefit for those health care, provident fund are not that great

Senior test engineer

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Oceanport, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Oceanport, NJ

I have been working at CommVault full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Commvault is a great place to work. We can balance our work load. Time off policy is great if we use in good manner.
    Benefits purely depends on our performance. We will definitely recognized if we perform well.

Cons

Compensation is good, no other comments. Office culture getting better.

NA

Amazing environment to make a difference!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at CommVault full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Commvault embraces a highly entrepreneurship. It is an organizations that enables people to jump in and improve upon things or introduce something new. In addition, the culture is unique...it's genuinely tied to the values. The leaders are committed to doing the right thing for their staff. In addition, happiness actually matters. The new headquarters is amazing...it has a slide AND cricket pitch.

Cons

Commvault has really high standards for it's employees. You'll work with smart colleagues. That said, expectations for personal and team performance is high. You need to be able to say "no".

Continue to let the values drive decisions. The culture is too important.

Great potential ... But ...

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Oceanport, NJ
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Oceanport, NJ

I have been working at CommVault full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good product, One Interface for managing entire enterprise worth of backups. Challenging work, good opportunities for growth. Engineers are allowed to work fairly independently. Office will be moving to new building, pretty exciting.

Cons

Requirements are never clearly defined. Developer has to start working on it due to commitment made to some high stakes customer. The initial (poorly defined) word of mouth requirement then keeps changing throughout the time of development making overall software design and code quality very poor and flaky. Its very easy to find C++ code with > 1k (sometimes more than 5k) lines of functions. Many times some code is written as POC and then just left around as real product, since no time is allocated to clean it up, and sold as a production ready feature in product. It feels like there is not much sense of ownership of code.

Good development practices are not setup. Code is checked in randomly without good code review most of times (not for first few days as junior employee, but after that you are all set to mess around), causing lot of build failures and feature breakages pretty much every build, making your life miserable if you are caught in wrong place (team) at wrong time.

Engineering has unlimited vacation policy which is awesome but not when abused by few people, also it totally depends on your manager if you are eligible for it, have seen some people going on vacation for months, which is totally unfair to others who are not allowed the same. Very unbalanced work environment, pretty sure some people put in less than 40 hours per week while some have to work crazy hours sometimes even on weekends.

Try hiring some experienced leads and managers or probably some good consultants. Its good to promote internally but long term restricts addition of new values and broader experience to the company.

If you want to feel like you are part of the total company this is the place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanport, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanport, NJ

I have been working at CommVault full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at this company for close to 15 years and have seen some changes as we are growing. What stays the same is if you are serious about working here it is a great place. The upper level management takes the time to listen to a lot of suggestions and gives feedback on a one to one basis as to whether or not those ideas have merit.

Cons

This is a tough one as one of the things that makes us good is how much we use feedback from the customers in our design. Sometimes this gets tedious for testers, we should try and balance these features a bit better. Also due to the workload we have work/life balance is not good you can put in a lot of hours to make sure you put out the best product.

As tough as it is going to be we should try to keep some of the small company ways that made working here as much fun as it was when we first started.

Not a great company to work for

I worked at CommVault as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

No pro's, not a great work environment

Cons

Company hires you as a "contract" temp employee with the promise of hiring you as a permanent employee. 2 years later I was still a temp with no benefits what so ever with no room for professional growth. Definite management issues that go uncorrected. Management issues that do not lead or inspire you to succeed.

Not a good experience

I worked at CommVault as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company have some of really good projects to work on, and the perks are also great. Top level management is good.

Cons

Have a very unorganized system. There's no pre-defined plan or schedule for what is to be done and when.
    Some of the employees are arrogant and irresponsible. Tough interview process. Not a good place to work for years.
    Especially, Development department is not a good place to work.

Software Developer's the title but it's Systems all the way!

Former Employee - Intern in Oceanport, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Oceanport, NJ

I worked at CommVault as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to start for newbies
    Complete ownership of work

Cons

Little hectic and less work-life balance
    Not that standardized for code-reviews and reporting

Need managers to lay out the rules and expectations before giving them a task

internship

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Oceanport, NJ
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Oceanport, NJ

I have been working at CommVault as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

the managers and team leaders I met are open to new technologies and have some new ideas and want to push them to new business.

good internship experience, free accommodation, free food, cannot complain.

Cons

the experience of internship may be very different from the full time employee. not all full time employee are very active.

It's a friendly open environment, but not the place where the smartest people go.

Current Employee - Development Intern in West Long Branch, NJ
    Current Employee - Development Intern in West Long Branch, NJ

I have been working at CommVault as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Open work environment, where everyone is reachable is good. Flexible in the sense that you can work on anything you want to (web/c++). People are very approachable and they pay well.

Cons

Not the smartest bunch of people.